ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dating a Flanger  (Read 3325 times)

Robin

Dating a Flanger
« on: Time Format »

Well, that subject line looks a bit odd, doesn't it?  Anyway, I just picked up an A/DA flanger, and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how old it is.  I've looked all over this forum for the schematics as I understand that that's one way to date these effects, but I can't find them.  So, here are the details about my flanger:  it uses a wall wart, the Threshold knob is slightly smaller than the other knobs, and there is a sticker on the PCB inside that says "222294." Other than that, the case looks like it's been thrown out of a moving car, but the flanger sounds sweet as can be.  Any info anyone could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Dating a Flanger
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Yes it does look a bit odd LoL I've dated a few women but never a flanger...  I suspect there are some members that can help you put a date/year to your gadget and maybe MJMP can help with a schematic  :dunno: .  Maybe post (attach) a pic, we do like pics here (particularly Dante).  A/DA are making the flanger(s) again, seems they were quite popular (https://www.adaamps.com/products), it seems they were originally made in 1977 and 1978 when the world was a less complicated place.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Robin,

The fact that that one uses a wall-wart instead of a hard wired AC cord would seem to suggest it may be from 1975-1976, unless someone modified it for a wall wart. The ones made in 1977 and up had the AC cord on them. This one sounds like it may be one that was built at the time of the Final Phase which still retains the wall-wart. For all we know, you might even have a prototype.

Let's see if MJMP can make any sense out of that.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You can usually date by looking at the manufacturing dates on the IC's. Can you take a pic of the pcb (top side) and post it?

Also does it have the SAD1024 BBD or the NE3010

Robin

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Thanks for all the replies so far.  I've attached pictures of the front and back of the unit, the front and back of the PCB, and a close up of a chip that says "Reticon" on it.  They're on a couple of posts because there are too many of them.  Now, having taken it apart and reassembled it, I hope it still works!  (And as I said before, the case itself looks like it was thrown out of a moving car...onto a dirt road...in a gravel pit.)  Please let me know what you all think.  Thanks.

Robin

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Here are the other two pictures.

Robin

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

One other interesting thing about this pedal is that the case itself has 3 holes drilled in the metal for footswitches.  The flanger, of course, only used the middle one and the other two are covered up, but the other two holes correspond to where the footswitches on the Final Phase would be at.  So, apparently, A/DA used the same case for both pedals.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

It does have the SAD 1024, but it's still kind of odd that it has a DC power supply plug. I've never seen one like that before.
The solder joints look original.

You are correct though, ADA did use the same case for both pedals, they just attached the appropriate label plates.

Harley 8)

Robin

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Harley, why would it be odd that it has a DC power supply plug?  The really early A/DA flangers had SAD 1024 chips and also used a wall wart power supply, did they not?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Robin,

I believe all the flangers were AC powered. No AC adapters to break or lose. A lesson learned with the Final Phase.

Harley 8)

Robin

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley,  do you mean AC powered as in the cord wired into the unit?  I actually do know that the very early flangers used a wall wart.  I've read that in a couple of other places, and you actually said in a post on this thread.  Am I not understanding what you're saying here?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

From the schematics I have all the SAD1024 flangers used a wall wart. In the '79 schematics I see the option for either a buit in transformer or the wall wart. By that time they also used the MN3011 BBD.

Looking at the pics it seems it's from mid '78.So an early unit.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley,  do you mean AC powered as in the cord wired into the unit?  I actually do know that the very early flangers used a wall wart.  I've read that in a couple of other places, and you actually said in a post on this thread.  Am I not understanding what you're saying here?

Hey Robin,

Yes I do mean the AC cord hard wired into the pedal. Those are the only ones I've ever seen, even in the old Guitar Player magazine ads.
           Funny, I didn't know they made wall wart versions of these. At least the mystery is solved, yours is more than likely an early one. So, if you carefully tape off the face plates, and spray paint it black, it'll look like new again.
          In my previous comment about the wall wart, I said it had to be an early one, or maybe even a prototype, but I wasn't sure about it. Apologies if I confused anyone.

Harley 8)

Del10134

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I have the same problem trying to date a A/DA Flanger. Mine also takes a wallwart but has the MN3010 Chip on a 10185P Board. The unit is  Serial number
22 4283.
Can any body help me date this thing

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Post a pic of the component side of the pcb so I can have a look.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up