ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new 3TM sound sample  (Read 2294 times)

Duke of Metal

« Last Edit: Time Format by Duke of Metal »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: new 3TM sound sample
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Now you're making me want to go pull one of my ADA rigs out of the basement and bring it up to my living room! Do you know how much my neighbors would appreciate that in this aparment building >:D hehehehe

I LIKE IT!

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

ME TOO  :thumb-up:

Duke of Metal

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

haha.. hey guys.. hope you're all well.

Glad you guys enjoy the Clip.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to make more in the near future.. and hopefully it'll be using an actual microphone with an interface and computer, not phone microphone.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Duke,

I have to ask this: What made you switch from the VHT cab to the Splawn?

Harley 8)

Duke of Metal

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Duke,

I have to ask this: What made you switch from the VHT cab to the Splawn?

Harley 8)
I find the Splawn to be deeper sounding and handles the bass WAY better than the VHT did... maybe something to do with the VHT being front loaded cabinet and the Splawn is Near.  Also the Splawn cabinet matched the Splawn Nitro head.

However, as much as I love having the 4x12 cabinet, playing live with them isn't very realistic anymore (whenever live playing happens again)..   I was looking at the MojoTone British 212 vertical cabinets empty and just put my own Vintage 30 speakers in there or even some WGS speakers.  I will be keeping the 412 at home for sure to use with my rig B (MP-1 3TM and Tube poweramp).   So now the hunt for a 1U tube poweramp begins  ;D

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Duke,

The quest never ends for tone-chasers!

Harley 8)

Duke of Metal

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Duke,

The quest never ends for tone-chasers!

Harley 8)
Nope.. always chasing that tone... i went through a complete rewire of my rig and that made a good difference in the tone and gain structure. switches from Canare GS-6 to Mogami 2524 for main cables and Mogami 2319 for rack and loop wiring.

I even bought another amp head (Egnater Armageddon) and while it sounded good and has ALOT of features, to my ears it didnt sound nearly as good as the Splawn Nitro or even the 3TM going through the Nitro power section.

I think after all these years, my ears have also "matured" in the sense of I am more aware of what I need to tweak to get me to the tone I want and what to change.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I'm going to have to get into building cables from Mogami wire. I know I'll hear a difference, I just don't know how much ???

Harley 8)

Duke of Metal

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I'm going to have to get into building cables from Mogami wire. I know I'll hear a difference, I just don't know how much ???

Harley 8)
what cable are you using now?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Right now I use a combination of Monster cables and Belden cables( I forgot which series).

But since I'm going to re-configure my racks(again), I'll have to custom make the cables.

Harley 8)

Duke of Metal

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Right now I use a combination of Monster cables and Belden cables( I forgot which series).

But since I'm going to re-configure my racks(again), I'll have to custom make the cables.

Harley 8)
Monster cables I was never a fan. I tried a couple of their cables and just didn't do it for me sadly. Belden never tried but I've read some people really like them.  The Mogami 2524 seem to be a very popular cable.  I'd buy 1 or 2 cables to try and see if (you notice enough of a difference.

I dont want you to go ahead and change all of your cables (unless you want to)... for my self, I even noticed a difference between just guitar and amp when I went with the Mogami cable.  the low end was bigger, the gain "came back" and overall it was more balanced tone wise.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Belden make good cable.  I use it when I want to make leads and Neutrik connectors (XLR, Jack etc). I checked the Mogami site, they don't say what wire they use only that it's thicker, so have to assume copper wire.  They do seem to be very well made etc. but if you buy a role of 2 core belden mic cable (for mono leads I wire the 2 cores together) and a bunch of Neutrik jacks (gold plated if you like) you could rewire everything for less than 1 Mogami cable costs. I agree with the Duke, try a Mogami and see/hear what you think.
Now thicker cable is better, signal flow is largely an "edge" phenomenon (allegedly), so more edge = better.  Bass however, seems to be a center phenomenon (allegedly), thus wire with solid core and good think wraps around it gives better bass.  This is quite a rabbit hole though, hotly debated within audio file circles as, as far as I can tell, there are a bunch of theories re the physics but no one really knows...  A friend of mine spent $6k on 2 short RCA-RCA leads (got them made in the UK) to connect his super audio player to his HiFi pre-amp, each to their own.
Silver wire is also an option (albeit not cheap), it's a better conductor than copper and seems to be able to carry more current than same thickness copper (de-oxygenated or not).  Another friend was advised to use silver speaker cables, allegedly the ants pants.  They were very thin (especially for speaker cables) but seemed to work well and handle the current.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Duke,

I've been aware of the Mogami 2524 cables for a while now, and I know they've been a popular choice for a lot of people. Here is something you might watch when you have the time. It's a video I checked out comparing the audio quality of cables for guitar. One of them is the Mogami 2524, one of the others is the Belden 9778. In this comparison, I hear the brightness come through with the Mogami cable, but I hear more of the low end come through with the Belden. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbik6OW77rQ&list=LL&index=458&t=2s
  To my ears, this is a more balanced tone, especially since my primary guitars are Strats. Having the low mids and the bass come through helps tame the (sometimes) piercing high end of these guitars. Especially when you want to rock out with it.

Another thing which seems to have helped my tone overall in the rack, is shorter cables to link from one unit to the next. This kind of goes against what I've learned through the years of rack building, which was to keep my power cables to one side of the rack, the audio cables to the opposite side, and control cables up the middle. I did buy some short patch cables and used those to daisy-chain some of my rack effects, and the difference was like night and day. My tone didn't sound as "processed" as it did before, which was something I was always striving for. To keep my tone as natural as going from the guitar straight into the amp.
   I also agree that some of the Monster cables are nothing to write home about, but some are quite good, although, difficult to work with. One of my guitar cables was a Monster cable I got in the 90's that was made for Fender, and it did make a big difference in all the extra noise I was getting. (I could hear the cable crackling and making static noise just from dragging it on the floor). The Monster cable cut that out and has a good clarity, but the center conductor is not copper strands of wire, it's copper FOIL! Not so easy to solder.
   I am going to try what you suggest and get a few different 20' lengths and make guitar cables, then compare that way.

Richard,

You are absolutely correct, there is a LOT of debate about the fidelity of cables and the various connectors attached to the ends of them, even down to the content of the amount of lead/silver/tin in the solder you use for them. I've already gone down that rabbit hole, and decided it was just too damned much minutia that shouldn't be involved with the simple art of making a guitar cable that sounds good. Good wire, Switchcraft plugs, and the solder I use will be all I need to make the cables and tell me what I need to know.
   There's also this to consider too; The difference in Mogami cables for use in a rack as opposed to stomp box pedals. The guy in this video makes pedal boards for people and uses two different Mogami cables for the guitar and the pedal connections. So there may be a difference yet again for connections to effects and connections to instruments. One thing for certain in the rack, I am going to use shorter cable runs.
   By the way, the Belden cables I have in there now are from a bulk roll I bought and made about 20 years ago. It seems there are some improvements to cables since then, and I'm going to take advantage of that. There's a risk I may get some extra noise or buzzing in the rack with the shorter patch cable criss-crossing close to the MIDI cables, but that's pretty low voltage, and if the shielding on these cables is good enough, I may be able to get away with it. Just using the Monster patch cables in the smaller rack setups made a huge difference, so I may do the same thing with Mogami or some other cables. Maybe Belden, or maybe Gotham. We'll see...

Harley 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up