ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good power amp suggestions for MP1  (Read 24673 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Good power amp suggestions for MP1
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

rnolan do you mean if I could get the Harley Benton amp for a good price it was worth a shot?

It is very cheap.

By the way I never knew what dampening factor was before and now I do  :)  is 100 good then?  Nice little fact to know about.

MJMP  if I am honest, those marshall 9005 are probably a little too large and heavy for me.  I am going to wimp out and just look for a 1U amp as that honestly would be more practical for me right now.  I could always change in the future and get a beast to stay stationary at our practice premises.

I am a cheapo anyways I always look out for a bargain.  160euro isn't bad, but shipping might break my ass if I was to get something like that from Europe or the states.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey rabidgerry, absolutely, as long as it's clean and transparent it will be a good choice. DF of 10 or more is fine for guit. there's not allot of difference between 100 and the 400 of the Carvin (although the numbers look big).  Moreover DF is more about very low frequencies (bigger speaker excursions thus more EF back wash) so more important for audio nuts who want to go down flat to 16hz for pipe organ pedals etc. My audio nut friend says there's a little difference between DF of 20 compared to 10 but not much. The Carvin DCM200 is designed to run passive studio monitors, so higher DF probably a slight advantage in that scenario.
Cheers R
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

dmax

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

I have a Marshall 9005 and I really like how it sounds with the MP-1.  The cab is a Marshall 1936 2X12. 
There are other/newer options too.
ADA MP-1
Marshall 9005
Marshall 1936 2X12

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

I have a Marshall 9005 and I really like how it sounds with the MP-1.  The cab is a Marshall 1936 2X12. 
There are other/newer options too.

I have heard this amp is a good one from many people so I'm not surprised at your recommendation  :thumb-up:.  I am however now spoilt for choice when it comes to poweramps.  I have :

Harley Benton GPA400 (A lot of clean power bang for your buck)  - SS Class D

Rocktron Velocity 300 (as loud as the above but with extra special vibe in regards to the feel) - SS

Koch ATR4502 (loud as hell with a lot of harmonic content and similar feel/vibe to above) - SS/Tube Class A

Peavey Classic 50/50 (loud as hell, more mid range than above, not as much bottom end) - Tube

I needed a light PA for travel though that offered me similar performance to any of the above and that is why I got the Koch at 6.5kg.  I can get that on a plane no worries!  :thumb-up:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

StillClimbing

« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

So how did the Koch end up sounding both live and practice/home?
Guitars: Peavey Vandenberg, Gibson Les Paul Studio
amps: Mesa 20/20, MP1 (Mk 2 Mod4), Crate Blue Voodoo 120, Synergy Syn 2 with Hilligan Scorch & Via Sig modules
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex LTD, many pedals
4x12 with real V30s

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

So how did the Koch end up sounding both live and practice/home?
  Well both live and practice it sounds amazing.  It felt amazing too.  Limited eq adjustment and what have you, but I run both switches off, one for boosting lo end the other for hi end.  It compares to my Peavey Classic 50/50 for feel.  Sounds great too.  I love it a lot and man the weight, I was able to take it on as hand luggage on a plane as it's only 6 kilos.  So I got a two rack shallow case on a plane and had the poweramp in that along with my boss gx700.  I used a Ibanez TK999HT as my preamp that show.

StillClimbing

« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

So you ditched the Peavey for the Koch? And is that what you still use? I had considered the Peavey 50/50 as well but was unsure of the weight in a rack.
Guitars: Peavey Vandenberg, Gibson Les Paul Studio
amps: Mesa 20/20, MP1 (Mk 2 Mod4), Crate Blue Voodoo 120, Synergy Syn 2 with Hilligan Scorch & Via Sig modules
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex LTD, many pedals
4x12 with real V30s
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up