ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 MDRT upgrade - So much more than I expected  (Read 12286 times)

tnipe

Re: MP1 MDRT upgrade - So much more than I expected
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

I get that, and I could hear that in the demos. I momentarily forgot what guitar was used with this, however, it is EQ'ed towards the bright side. Since my main guitar is a Stratocaster, EQ settings like that would sound shrill, and not very pleasing  at all.

Just like Torstien, I rarely use my Treble setting higher than +2. Sometimes I drop the Treble to -4 or -6, and raise the Presence for sweeter highs. It depends what tone you are looking for. In most of my programs in the MP-1, I normally have the Bass set +10 or +12. I should also make clear that these are the typical settings I use when the MP-1 is plugged into the MT-200. I'll drop the Bass settings down if I'm plugged into the B200S, since that is a warmer sounding power amp.

When I get one of my MT-100's up and running again, I'll probably have to tweak the EQ again since that doesn't sound quite the same as the 200.

Harley 8)

Yep.
100% right, mate.

With MDRT the MP-1 with "extreme" eq settings could become too fizzy, depending on the power amp and settings, speakers and guitar's pickups.
I love to eq my MP-1 with high settings for bass, mid, high and presence (something like 9,6,6,10 or 9,6,6,12), because this gives it a very plexish bite.
But, after MDRT, I had to lower both power amp's channels presence controls.
And I use a Blackstar 2x12 cab with 70/80 Celestion speakers, that have very balanced response with solid basses, efficient mids and smooth round highs (very different from V30, more close to G12T-75 with a little less basses and better mids, to my ears).

I got a very "in your face" sound now.

Uh, Harley...do you have 10 minutes to run a small test for me?
It would be cool to test them side by side. Seems like everyone digs the sound more after getting the MDRT.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

I'm not sure if I can, but I'll try. What kind of test?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

tnipe

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

I get that, and I could hear that in the demos. I momentarily forgot what guitar was used with this, however, it is EQ'ed towards the bright side. Since my main guitar is a Stratocaster, EQ settings like that would sound shrill, and not very pleasing  at all.

Just like Torstien, I rarely use my Treble setting higher than +2. Sometimes I drop the Treble to -4 or -6, and raise the Presence for sweeter highs. It depends what tone you are looking for. In most of my programs in the MP-1, I normally have the Bass set +10 or +12. I should also make clear that these are the typical settings I use when the MP-1 is plugged into the MT-200. I'll drop the Bass settings down if I'm plugged into the B200S, since that is a warmer sounding power amp.

When I get one of my MT-100's up and running again, I'll probably have to tweak the EQ again since that doesn't sound quite the same as the 200.

Harley 8)
I actually didn't know I could set the EQ in minus! Practical.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Here is a compare with a 3TM unit, without and with MDRT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRSuATPcsWs&ab_channel=undetectable

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

That's interesting. There is definitely more upper mids in the MDRT. He has them dialed in pretty close though.

tnipe

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

That's interesting. There is definitely more upper mids in the MDRT. He has them dialed in pretty close though.
Definitely sounds better to me than the clips earlier in this thread.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Torstien,

It's definitely how you dial it in that makes the difference. Taste is subjective ;D

At least I could hear it still retains it's low end, that's pretty important to me anyway.

The only thing about the 3TM mod, is that it doesn't do clean tube tones anymore, those are gone completely. For that reason, I think it's important to me to keep a stock MP-1 on hand for those clean to low gain settings.

Harley 8)

tnipe

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey Torstien,

It's definitely how you dial it in that makes the difference. Taste is subjective ;D

At least I could hear it still retains it's low end, that's pretty important to me anyway.

The only thing about the 3TM mod, is that it doesn't do clean tube tones anymore, those are gone completely. For that reason, I think it's important to me to keep a stock MP-1 on hand for those clean to low gain settings.

Harley 8)
Yeah, that's for sure  :)

I'm debating with myself whether I'm gonna have the MDRT installed or not. Or maybe keep this one stock, and get another one to mod, like you say!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Yeah, that's for sure  :)

I'm debating with myself whether I'm gonna have the MDRT installed or not. Or maybe keep this one stock, and get another one to mod, like you say!

Please don't misunderstand, the MDRT will still give you clean tones as well as distortion, and everything in between. There will just be more brilliance on tap with the upper mids and highs. I'm sure you can tame that down if it's too much using your EQ. Of course there is also the issue of what tubes you choose to use in the MP-1 with the MDRT mod. In my particular case, since my primary guitars are Strats, (which can be insanely bright in some cases), I'm more interested in keeping the midrange and low frequencies intact, which I could hear from the video demo, it does. I might even try a pair of ECC803's in this mod. Those are pretty warm tubes, but then, long plate Mullards are usually my go-to choice for preamp tubes.

Harley 8)

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

I'm not sure if I can, but I'll try. What kind of test?

If I understood right, you've a MP-1 with MDRT...right?
If so, create a patch with these settings:

OD1 : 7.5
OD2 : 7.5
Master : 5.5
Bass : 6
Mid : 6
Treble : 9
Presence : 12

Then connect a guitar with PASSIVE pickups.
Now set the front panel Output Volume pot over half way, around 1 'o clock or more: do you hear any squeal from the speakers?

This is a strange issue I found with MDRT and those settings.
I handled it using a buffer between guitar and MP-1 or a guitar with ACTIVE pickups, but I would like to see if this is something that affects my unit for a strange reason or units with MDRT installed.

I remember MikeB had a similar issue, but he's not active here since longtime.  :dunno:

Thanks a lot, mate!  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Nice!

The one with MDRT is more open sounding and less compressed.
Not fizzy, to my ears...and then one can lower highs and presence a little.
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Harley 8)

That's why I use an MP-2, the cleans are superior to the MP-1. And I switch (midi switcher) between the MP-1 for distortion and MP-2 for cleans and low gain stuff.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

No, I'm afraid I do not have the MDRT in any of my MP-1's yet.

I would like to get it installed in my 3TM modded MP-1, and I' was thinking about having it installed in the stock MP-1 I have as well. I'll send these to MJMP for this to get done.

As for pickups, I only use passive pickups. I'm not a fan of active ones, they just don't do anything for me.

In the video clip MJMP posted, the only MP-1 I see there is a 3TM modded one. I couldn't see if the other one was also a 3TM with the MDRT.

Harley 8)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Harley 8)

That's why I use an MP-2, the cleans are superior to the MP-1. And I switch (midi switcher) between the MP-1 for distortion and MP-2 for cleans and low gain stuff.

Hey MJMP,

The MP-2 does have some very strong clean tones, but then again, all the ADA pre amps have great clean tones!

The original MP-1 has really good clean tones, rich and warm. And the Classic has some VERY good clean tones that are very vintage sounding. Each one of these has it's own character.

If you recall from one of my early posts, shortly after I became an active member here, I did relay the story of when I bought my first MP-1 Classic. It came down to a choice between the Classic and a Groove Tubes Trio. In the end, I chose the Classic. Not because of the money, but because of the tones. The money didn't matter. The Trio was only $200 more than the Classic, but the Classic could give me all the same tones the Trio could, and more! Plus, I could save the settings in the Classic.

Clean or dirty, ADA had it all. The only thing I've seen that might come close are the Synergy systems I see now.

(It took almost 30 years for anyone to catch up to ADA)

Harley 8)

Lyates1987

« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Harley 8)

Hey MJMP,

The MP-2 does have some very strong clean tones, but then again, all the ADA pre amps have great clean tones!

The original MP-1 has really good clean tones, rich and warm. And the Classic has some VERY good clean tones that are very vintage sounding. Each one of these has it's own character.

If you recall from one of my early posts, shortly after I became an active member here, I did relay the story of when I bought my first MP-1 Classic. It came down to a choice between the Classic and a Groove Tubes Trio. In the end, I chose the Classic. Not because of the money, but because of the tones. The money didn't matter. The Trio was only $200 more than the Classic, but the Classic could give me all the same tones the Trio could, and more! Plus, I could save the settings in the Classic.

Clean or dirty, ADA had it all. The only thing I've seen that might come close are the Synergy systems I see now.

(It took almost 30 years for anyone to catch up to ADA)

Harley 8)

I've been eyeing those synergy preamps down for a while. Drooling. Perfect for someone like me that has limited space and wants ALL the tones. Big reason I got the MP1.

MikeB's clips. Safe to assume no IRs were used and we are just hearing raw preamp signal. I would have done it a bit more old fashioned through a poweramp and cab with an SM57 hooked up to my interface. There is definitely a difference in the signal between the Pre clips and Post clips (quite a big one) I get his comment regarding the PRE clips sounding like it was like listening through a wall, I hear that too in the clips. The signal seems a LOT less compressed in the POST clips, easy to tell even with the non conventional approach to recording it.

Honestly I kinda like the compressed nasally aspect of the MP1. I'm still going through this forum and figuring out what all the "popular opinions" are on different aspects of this amp. But "to each his own" is ultimately what it comes down to. The ultimate comparison will always be playing them rather than just listening. AS far as the MDRT mod the way I currently view it is what kind of trade offs of the original tone are happening and if I want to lose a certain aspect of the original tone for good. Been trying to find threads with more clips but would love to hear more feedback relating to the tonal trade offs of doing the MDRT without any other mods having been done. I'm still searching through this forum to find the answer to that question but I also have many other questions I'm looking into as well.

I did find this video on youtube (link below) that does a pre MDRT and post MDRT comparison, the only thing is that it's got the 3TM done to it which is fine because in his video (even though it sounds like he recorded it with his phone) you can tell a difference in how fuller the tone is compared to the preamp without the MDRT. Ideally I'd like to hear a comparison w/o the 3TM but this comparison does help. Still in the process of looking.

Link to youtube vid mentioned above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRSuATPcsWs
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up