• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Main Menu

Wierd Problems with my MP-2 RTM assignments

Started by rnolan, June 05, 2024, 07:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarshallJMP

Harley Hexxe

If this does the trick Richard, then it would be fair to say you found the issue.

I hope it stays this way too.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

Well so far so good.  All worked fine at rehearsal yesterday.  I'll leave the Edit Pedal set to CC#32.  I started looking for right angled TRS plugs (and pre-made leads) to replace the TRS connection leads (as they are quite old).  The pedal and switch sockets on the MXC are quite close together and the right angled TRS plugs are maybe too big :dunno: .  Where as the molded TRS leads it came with are a very small footprint.  I may have to go with straight TRS plugs.  Then I typically only use the one expression pedal so it wouldn't matter.

Anyway, all good for now.  Upside is the Quad switch TRS leads I have have hardly ever been used.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

MarshallJMP

There are smaller footprint angled jacks from rean or hicon. Or get one of those rockboard premade cables, they are also very small.

rnolan

Quote from: Harley Hexxe on June 11, 2024, 12:04:53 PMRichard,

Did you try one of those leads?
Hey Harley, I swapped one of the (hardly ever used) Quad switch leads with the one that was associated with the problem.  Then tested that exp pedal (with swapped lead) with a MP-2 in my studio rack, and it worked fine (with Edit Pedal set to default #31 and Vol Pedal also #31 as it's always been). But just to be sure, I changed the Edit Pedal to #32 on the live rack MP-2.  I think it was the lead causing issues.

Harley Hexxe

Quote from: rnolan on June 12, 2024, 12:04:55 AM
Quote from: Harley Hexxe on June 11, 2024, 12:04:53 PMRichard,

Did you try one of those leads?
Hey Harley, I swapped one of the (hardly ever used) Quad switch leads with the one that was associated with the problem.  Then tested that exp pedal (with swapped lead) with a MP-2 in my studio rack, and it worked fine (with Edit Pedal set to default #31 and Vol Pedal also #31 as it's always been). But just to be sure, I changed the Edit Pedal to #32 on the live rack MP-2.  I think it was the lead causing issues.

That sounds like the cause.

At least the issue isn't in the MP-2  :thumb-up:

rnolan

At least the issue isn't in the MP-2  

Absolutely :thumb-up: that was a relief.

rnolan

Update, we did our first gig this afternoon, so I was using the MXC/exp pedal from my live pack.  Which worked fine a week ago.  So again funny issues with the exp pedal.  I didn't have a spare stereo patch lead, so maybe it's that?  So I just played without the vol pedal, fine, just not as much fun.  Then in the last song, last set the MXC wouldn't change patches.  Fortuitously it was stuck on my normal rhythm sound, so I didn't have a lead boost and made it through the song and then the encore.  So after we finished, I unplugged the midi lead and re-plugged, the MXC pedal displayed 2, didn't do its boot sequence.  This is my oldest MXC that came with my first brand new MP-2 back in the 90's.  Anyway I'm exhausted, been a long time since I did a full load in/out and 3 x 45min sets playing lead and singing 50+% of the songs.  So I'll pull it out tomorrow and have a look.  I have a Behringer FCB 1010 new in the box I've never used, maybe it's time...

BTW the gig went really well, the venue liked us allot so I suspect we'll do it again.

Harley Hexxe

Richard,

First, I'm glad the gig went well.

This issue is sounding more and more like an intermittent connection problem. It may be time to open the MXC and check the solder joints, and touch them up if they look really dull. Flowing a little fresh solder can fix a cold solder joint. Next, I would look at the jacks. Try to see if there is corrosion on the contact points and check that they are making a solid connection to the plug. A bit of contact cleaner might be all that needs.
Here is another thing I've had as an issue with my old ADA MIDI controllers. When they haven't been used in a while, it seems like there much be some kind of contact issue with the push-button footswitches. I've sprayed contact cleaner into them from the top and worked the buttons for a while. That fixed my issue.

This sounds like it's coming from the pedal, not the MP-2. The MXC, Quad Switch, and CCP do need some TLC from time to time.

MarshallJMP

R, I would open it up and check the 5V to start with. Also see if the 5V regulator is a 78M05.

rnolan

Ok so next update.  First @ Harley, good tips and yes, over the years of this MXC I've had to do the same, i.e. spray some contact cleaner in from the top of the buttons, I also spin them around (they turn) as they do gum up from time to time (and they do get a bunch of crap in them over time, hey you tread on them with shoes on..).  And a re-flow is never a bad idea.

And @MJMP, great advice but I'm hoping I don't need to (although I'll go there if I can't get it to work).

So tonight I powered it up with a wall wart and it booted fine, I then went and reset it 9 + 0, then 9 + 1, then bank up to store.  I changed the trs connector with my other quad switch one (again hardly ever used) and re-set the P1 sweep (9 + 5, sweep pedal, then store, 9 + 1, bank up).  Then I re-set the pedal switch (9 + 6, press on/off, then store 9 + 1, bank up).  All good.  I then plugged it into my old live rig (different 7 pin cable (I have 2, one stays plugged into the old live rig and the other goes in the pack).  All worked fine.  So the common denominator may be the 7 pin midi cable, as, all the issues I've had were when I was using this midi cable.  Since I got the 2 x 12 with Lorantz cab going, I've been using it with my cut back 4 RU (MP-2, Quadverb 4, B200s) rig. And I've been using the spare (came with a MP-2 I bought along they way) 7 pin midi cable (which normally lives in my live lead case).  And this is the rig I used last night.  Start of the night, exp pedal didn't work (as I said) so no worries, push on just don't have vol pedal :-(.  All ok until last 2 songs where MXC freezes on one patch.  The very last thing I did before powering down was to unplug and re-plug the 7 pin midi cable to reboot the MXC, it just went to 2 and froze, no boot to 1.0, then go to 1.

So maybe it's the midi cable? (being intermittent?).

Recap, tonight that pedal & exp pedal worked fine plugged into my other MP-2 with the other cable.

So next test is with the other (newer) midi cable.  My current feeling is there is (or may be) an intermittent issue with the 7 pin midi cable.  I re-iterate, that all the issues I've been experiencing have that cable in common.  I've used both my MXC/exp pedal sets and changed the trs leads (albeit I just changed the other MXC trs tonight).  But then why did it freeze last night with no exp pedal (and it's trs lead) plugged in.

So we'll see, could it be the 7 pin midi cable?  I've been pretty nice to it, I roll it under over and tie it off with a leather tie (so I don't knot the cable), but it does get plugged in/out a bit.  I spose it may also possibly be in the 4RU rack MP-2 midi in socket :dunno: ?

Right now, both MXC/exp pedal sets are working fine plugged in with my old (lounge room 8 RU MP-2 rack) with original 7 pin cable.

The other consideration may be the wall wart in the 4 RU rack (it's the one with all the issues).  @MJMP, could that cause this issue ??

MarshallJMP

It could be the cable but then you could switch presets didn't you? So midi is midi, now on the other hand CC sends a lot of midi data through so yeah hard to say.

Could also be the power supply since you had a bad startup. Another possibility is the 5 regulator, if it's a 78M05 these are prone to fail, the problem is with these that 5V drops over the years to 4.8, 4.7V which could cause problems.

But looks like you're on your way to figure it out with systematical testing.

Harley Hexxe

Richard,

That's pretty interesting about the MIDI cable. Let me guess...molded plugs? I hate those. They often fail either at the end of the strain relief, (most common), or at the pin connection, (rare but still possible).

I'd like to find 7-pin DIN plugs and just make my own cables. It's easier to check for shorts or broken connections.

MarshallJMP

Rean makes 7 pin DIN connectors

https://www.rean-connectors.com/en/product/nys323-1

BTW don't forget to use shielded cable.

I made some midi cables using this cable.
https://www.thomann.de/be/sommer_cable_square_4core_mkii_highflex.htm

It's 0.2mm² (AWG 24) and can handle 2 amps.