ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSS MS-3 Multi-effects & loop switcher REVIEW  (Read 2357 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: BOSS MS-3 Multi-effects & loop switcher REVIEW
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

That is weird. Which model H&K is it? I want to go look that up and see what it has.
It kind of sounds like there is some issue between latching and momentary switching. IF the effects are external, and there is nothing in the amp that can be controlled by CC, then it should ignore any of those commands. The answers will be in the SYSEX chart.

I'm going to look in the MS-3's MIDI implementation chart as well. It sounds like something isn't set to the correct command channel.

I've never used the MXC, Quad Switch, and CC pedal for anything other than the MP-2. It works really well there. The only other thing I've used for MIDI control is the Ground Control which allows me to plug in two CC control pedals albeit variable pedals or switches. It's pretty easy to assign the functions in the Ground Control, but the key is to get the right communication channels going with the MIDI units I want to control with it. With some equipment, I've found it takes a few attempts before the command routing is completed. (Lexicon LXP-15II).
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Well, I couldn't get the Switchblade combo to respond at all. The Grandmeister 40 deluxe is my main amp, I use the switchblade as a slave speaker for playing in stereo.

I have the midi chart in the manual, I can dig it  up for you. I set my MS-3 to modify the corresponding CC number and got no response. Even the proprietary pedal from H&K does this - you have to save a delay and modulation for the patch, then you can toggle them on/off

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Dante,

I looked at the MIDI implementation chart for the MS-3. It actually does not recognize most MIDI commands. Almost everything in the column has an "X" all the way down the list. The only CC commands it does recognize are from what you have connected into the expression pedal and the footswitch plugs.
The really weird thing is the SYSEX is not available to the public. I've never seen that in any MIDI device before. The SYSEX chart tells you what commands can be sent and received, and what channels to assign them to. MIDI works on a handshake principle, and both devices need to complete the handshake.
I think for MIDI, you'd be better off plugging your MIDI controller into the Grandmeister and running a MIDI cable from that to the Switchbalde from the MIDI Thru jack. This way the command is sent to both amps at the same time. The other alternative is to send MIDI to the Grandmeister, then have the Grandmeister send an independent different command from the MIDI Out jack to the Switchblade. It's sort of like midi mapping in a different way, and that is only IF the amps can be programmed to do that. They have to all be on the same channel for that to work which means that if one of them is in Omni mode, it needs to be set to mono mode and on the same channel. Many MIDI devices don't respond in Omni mode.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I literally only use the volume on the Switchblade.

I run my right channel into the FX return so that I have my Grandmeister providing all the preamp. The Switchblade is really only the power section, bypassing the preamp. It's easier than trying to match two amps and gives me stereo ability with the MS-3.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Ah, Got it!

I'm doing the same thing with the 2nd Cyber Deluxe I bought. I use the original one for all the effects and run the Expander out to the newer one so I get the full spread of stereo effects. The Cyber-Twin is the center channel and I disabled all the effects in that one. I use and A/B/Y pedal on the board to bring in the Cyber-Deluxe when I want the effects. It's a pretty cool rig. The only real trick is to line up all the programs to matching locations in the amps, that way I send one program change command and everything goes to the right sounds I'm looking for. The Expression pedal on the Controller is disabled in the CT, but active in the CD.

To be honest, I like the CT for just straight up good amp tones. The effects don't impress me much. The CD all has to be dialed in manually, amp tones as well as effects. Unlike the CT, I can deep dive and custom make my effects in the CD just by twisting a few knobs. I'm not limited to effects the way the CT is. As for the amp tones, they're every bit as good as the CT. I'm pretty happy with this particular 3 combo amp rig.

Harley 8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Yeah, that sounds awesome

I feel the same about the effects in the Grandmeister - they're okay but limited in precision (using knobs vs digital values). So, the head is for amp tones, lots of them, but the MS-3 does all the FX. Although they are present, I don't mess with the amp modelling or speaker emulation stuff (i have amps & speakers...no need to emulate)

Gotta keep it simple, I barely remember why I came in this room  ::)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I totally agree with you on the cab emulations. Except in one situation. When I'm using the direct line outs from the amps to the desk, and no mics on the speakers, then it comes in handy. It may not be necessary on stage but when I hear the playback through the PA or even recording, there's a huge difference.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up