Non ADA Gear > Guitars

Tired of the same old look after all these years

(1/3) > >>

Harley Hexxe:
Okay gang,

So I got tired of looking at the seafoam green Strat the way it has been for the past 23 years that I've owned it and decided it was time for a face lift as well as a fresh setup and complete overhaul. So...I ordered a new pickguard that I think works well with the color of the guitar, then I thought why stop there? I ordered new knobs, switch tips pickup covers, and whammy bar tips and put it all together.

Next to the guitar is all the mint green junk I took off. (Whoever thought that looked good?)

I'm curious what everyone here thinks of what I've done...good idea? Mistake? Not sure?

For any purists...FYI...I still have the original 3-ply WBW pickguard and electronics.

Dante:
All that white stuff looks crappy - you did that guitar a huge favor! What took you so long?  ::)

I love the gold stuff, personally. Looks like Vegas, baby!! haha

rnolan:
Hey Harley, I do like what you've done to it, makes it look special.  Although I'd also like it if it had white (not mint green), but then I remember a guy in Newcastle (Australia) where I grew up had a light blue strat, rosewood board and white pickguard that I drooled over when I was 13.

Harley Hexxe:
Thanks folks,

@ Dante, I couldn't decide if I wanted to put the original electronics back in the guitar. The original pick guard is cracked and crappy looking and would definitely need to be replaced anyway. The original pups sound very stratty but really thin too like there maybe a short in them or something goofy like that. What I have in there now is Texas Specials that I've had since the mid-90's. They definitely have Stratocaster tones and THEN some. Kind of like a Strat with an attitude. I've rocked out on Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin with this guitar before and it can go toe to toe with the best of them, so while it looks like a wholesome piece of classic Americana, there's a wolf in sheep's clothing under the hood. The funny thing is, I could spend hours playing this guitar unplugged and still enjoy it. It plays like butter.

@ Richard, I think the guitar you're talking about would be a Daphne blue color, or possibly what they call Sonic blue these days. I've always liked that color scheme myself, but that isn't this guitar. I picked this one up about two years after my favorite black one was stolen, looking for a Strat that had as comfortable a neck as my black one. That's one of the toughest things about Strats that I've seen going from one to the next and so on... very few feel good in my hands. This one has a slim "C" shaped neck that I could get used to easily. My favorite one has a very slim slight "V" shape to it and just seems to become a part of my hand. To me, that's what makes a good guitar as far as how it feels...when it's "invisible" in your hand and you don't have to think about the neck at all. Of course, action and most important of all...TONE. It has to have a tone that sings to you across the EQ spectrum, and not just in a certain frequency range. As for the color of this particular guitar, I'll be honest, It wouldn't have been my first choice. Especially the green with a white pick guard, that's just too much pale on the body. I'd rather just get a white one if I was going to go that route and be done with it. (Hendrix a la Woodstock)

I did just try to click on one of the photos I posted here and they are WAYYYYY too big. I'm going to re-size and repost them here in a few.

Thanks again for the feedback it's much appreciated.

Harley Hexxe:
Okay, here are the resized pics, and it's definitely easier to see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version