ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new user, new unit  (Read 1511 times)

ang3lus

new user, new unit
« on: Time Format »

Hey all,

I found at some local guys workshop an old ada mp1 that was collecting dust, unit was not making any sound he claimed, when i turned it on i saw all the patches counting and then err1 2 and 3 and then the unit turned on.

i figured out it was the masters that were set on zero, i've got souond coming out and all is fine.

after some reading i do know i must do the battery mod, the battery must be dead, the unit is all original, also has 110v (we are in a 220v, i used a step up trans).

is there a list on what caps to refresh and change out ? I've got several amps under my belt that i've built so i'm not scared of modding stuff etc.

I'm confused by all the vast amount of material here, what a great site

vansinn

Re: new user, new unit
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

In general on all old electronics, including your lovely new old stock MP1:

Replace all electrolytic capacitors.
Replace potmeters.
Clean jacks and switches, also the mains fuse holder.
Gently unplug/reinsert all flat-cable connectors et al a few times.
Pull and reinsert all IC's - use a chip extractor tool to prevent damage.
Measure backup battery and replace as maybe needed.

Test to see how well it now works, and identify whatever issues might remain, and take it from there.

If only everybody would do these steps, many support questions would fade away.
Most turns on their new found gadget, concludes that it works, then finds a couple of issues, and wants to fix those.  Pretty obvious of course; however, all old electronics should be serviced as stated above, because electronics components do age and/or fail.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey A, good to see you posting  :thumb-up: , vans's advice is a good start.  If you need parts MJMP's (our master tech) site is a good source (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/index.htm).Take your time with the various boards and threads, we have accumulated quite a bit of info etc over the years but it's laid out reasonably logically, read the various bits as you need to.First (if you haven't already) download the manual and read it.  Then load the factory presets.  If the battery is dead (and probably is) the programs are lost after power off (so probably the next thing to do).
Does your unit have a top switch to change the output from inst to line level ?  If so the rear (input) jack mod is worth doing (MJMP has all you need for this mostly pre-wired).Battery mod is a must do, or you will loose any program changes when you turn it off  :facepalm: Noise mod(s) deals with quite a few caps that need changing, the noise (from old caps) is most apparent at high gain settings.
Transformer wise you could go with a MDRT or someone may have a spare original 240v tranny.  MJMP gets the MDRTs made from time to time, seems he has some stock at the moment, this will change the sound a bit (plenty of posts about it).The tubes will need changing, lots of posts about tubes, very subjective area as they all sound different, e.g. I changed some Groove Tube 12AX7s for some nice new New Sensor Mullard 12AX7 long plates the other day and they sound sooo much better.  The GTs were very harsh sounding....If you can, run the unit in stereo with stereo power amp and 2 cabs, it sounds much better than mono (not that it sounds bad in mono)When you switch it on it will display the EPROM (firm wear) version. e.g. 1.38, or 2.00, or 2.01 (it's also written on top of the EPROM (front right hand side as you look down with top off)).  MJMP has the 2.01 EPROM (which is the last revision ADA made, includes being able to save and load patches to PC via midi port).  The factory patches are on the EPROM (later versions included additional patches) so you can load them anytime even with a dead battery.As you have already discovered, unused/un-programmed patches default to 0 until you change and store them.Again, welcome to the forum, lots of people here who are happy to help  :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

As for transformer, just get the MDRT ;)
More power to the people (can supply more current) and higher plate voltage.

ang3lus

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I have the top switch yes, planning on getting the mdrt, will not change out the rear jack cause i want some old line level rack units there
Pages: [1]   Go Up