ADA Depot Too - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The OLD Depot is BACK!! Thanks to Nick, Jurrie's son!! Here's a link to view the old (original) ADA Depot! The Old ADA Depot

If you can, please send a small donation, for keeping up the hosting, etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise Gate location  (Read 254 times)

skarkowtsky

Noise Gate location
« on: Time Format »

Hey guys,

I recently put everything in a new rack, and spent the past two weeks eliminating ground loop hum with nylon shoulder washers, nylon flat washers and two Morley Exterminators (AC plug versions) on a couple of troublemaking units.

The rack is dead silent now, except for the high gain MP1 presets which still cut through because my EHX Silencer Noise Gate is before the MP1. However, I want to try the noise gate after the MMP1 to see if that cuts the hiss a bit. I'm not ready for the noise mod $$$.

My chain after the MP1 is Reverb > Delay > EQ > Power Amp. I bypass the MP1s FX loop because, at least on my unit (1.38 stock), it's a tone suck.

Since my time-based effects are on the back end of the chain, would I put the noise gate right after the MP1, but before all those units as to not clip them?

I really appreciate your input!

John

TommyVonVoigt

Re: Noise Gate location
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

What I would be doing is going MP1 > EQ > Gate > Delay > Reverb > Power Amp. You want your gate after everything possible, but prior to any time based effects. So, put it after the EQ. Also, I personally prefer delay first, then reverb.

skarkowtsky

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Wait, I do have my delay before reverb sorry, I've been back there for weeks with wires, haha!

I'll def try the EQ right after MP1. Thanks for the advice in the gate!!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The rack is dead silent now, except for the high gain MP1 presets which still cut through because my EHX Silencer Noise Gate is before the MP1. However, I want to try the noise gate after the MMP1 to see if that cuts the hiss a bit. I'm not ready for the noise mod $$$.

My chain after the MP1 is Reverb > Delay > EQ > Power Amp. I bypass the MP1s FX loop because, at least on my unit (1.38 stock), it's a tone suck.

The EHX Silencer is capable of 4-cable hookup; try to take advantage of that by either running the MP-1 Output back to that Loop, or using the MP-1 Loop to the Silencer Loop as well as using the Silencer in front of the MP-1.  The Mp-1 Loop is known for being a Tone Suck, but I'd give it a try anyway just in case it might play nice.  If you use the MP-1 Output back to the Silencer, you'll lose the ability to control the total output of your rig with just the Level knob on the MP-1 front panel. 

skarkowtsky

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi Kim,

Thank you! Please break these setups down a bit more?

The send/return on the Silencer confuses me, so I've never tried it.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

True, the EHX Silencer is a bit misleading with their jack ID labels and I had to look it up myself back when I got mine. 
Here is the very same video I used to figure it out: 

:wave:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

That's an interesting setup, I might try one of those in the effects loop of the MP-1 and see how it does.

I prefer my rack effects  connected to the outputs of the MP-1 anyway, since I like to use two amp setups. It's just calming down the noise from the high gain presets is all I'm interested in doing.

Harley 8)
I used to be ambivalent. Now, I'm just not sure...

Damn-Danny

• be yourself , never copy someone else!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Got my noise gate (Sentry) as 3e in my guitaraudio switcher.
Guitar in than loop 1 the Pro Tone Gary Holt signature boost, loop 2 is the Pro Tone Jeff Loomis signature overdrive, loop 3 the Sentry noise gate, 4 = the 3tm mp1, 5 the Yerasov Detonator P,  6 Rane mpe 28 , Tc Electronic G Major 2.(has issues so maybe gonna changed out soon) switcher out to Marshall 8008 solid state power amp or to the poweramp of the Bugera XXX inf. with 2 Shuguang 6L6's.
Ormsby Hyper GTR 6 string
Ormsby RC One   6 Orange Marbles
SKG    Anubis (D  standard)
Bo-el   MC 6
Robin guitar  Raider USA (D Standard)
ADA 3TM mp1
ADA Ampulator
ADA GCS 6
Ada mp2  (issues) actions on hold
Yerasove Detonator - P
Yamaha SPX 900
Marshall 8008 Valvestate
Peavey  6505MH
Rane mpe 28

Bugera 333XL inf               ART SGE
EVH 5150II Lbx                 POD XT pro
Bugera 4x12                     Pro Tone Jeff Loomis
 Signature overdrive       Voodoo Lab GCX
 Pro Tone Gary Holt Boost                                        Voodoo Lab Ground Control  Pro
Rane Mpe -28 (EQ based on MQ)
Pages: [1]   Go Up