ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New ADA MP-1 - questions  (Read 5899 times)

tnipe

Re: New ADA MP-1 - questions
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Dumb question; does the battery replacement mod require any soldering?
Yes it does. Looks simple enough, but I had a tech take care of it :)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

What you can try is to desolder the OD2 wire, it's either brown or yellow, it's shielded wire and it's also the shortest one going from the main to the tubeboard. It's designated letter is "H". This should give you full on OD2 gain.

tnipe

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Dusted off the MP-1 today again. If I max out the gain on 10 on the tube-voicing for both OD1 and OD2, there's not a lot of gain, whereas before the tech did the servicing and some mods there was tons. I'm noticing now that the SS channel is a lot louder than the tube/clean. Can this be an indicator for something maybe?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

This sounds similar to what Tommy is experiencing.  So question is what did your tech do as in, you had heaps of gain before the work and now you don't  :dunno:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

could be a tube gone bad.

tnipe

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I swapped out the tubes, and I now how enough gain! :headbanger: Maybe not for a metal player, but for me at least.
There's not a volume difference between the tube and SS voicings.

I remember having more though, before I got it serviced/modded. The problem is still:

If I turn OD2 from 0 to 10, there is just a tiny difference in volume. No difference in gain, doesn't matter where OD1 is set. I played around with the OD2 trimpot, but I can't see it made any difference.

I've tried swapping the tubes with each other, nothing changes.
« Last Edit: Time Format by tnipe »

tnipe

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Also, what does the internal dip switch do, next to trimpot 3? Where do you guys have yours set? Sounds like a line level thing? Currently going into a G-Force, then a Matrix Power amp.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Mmm, the OD2 trimpot settings not making a difference doesn't sound right. MJMP?The switch next to trimpot 3 (SS Alignment) is to switch the MP-1 output level between inst and line level and can be accessed with the lid on.  It's only on the earlier models, ADA ditched it later along with the line level rear input.  So (as is depicted on the back of the unit) inst level is with the switch toward the front and line level toward the back.  It was there so you could plug the MP-1 into a guitar amp input (inst lv) or into a power amp (line lv).  I have always set it to line lv as I run into stereo power amp.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

tnipe

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Mmm, the OD2 trimpot settings not making a difference doesn't sound right. MJMP?The switch next to trimpot 3 (SS Alignment) is to switch the MP-1 output level between inst and line level and can be accessed with the lid on.  It's only on the earlier models, ADA ditched it later along with the line level rear input.  So (as is depicted on the back of the unit) inst level is with the switch toward the front and line level toward the back.  It was there so you could plug the MP-1 into a guitar amp input (inst lv) or into a power amp (line lv).  I have always set it to line lv as I run into stereo power amp.
Thanks. That's handy. Yeah, there's something weird. Just to clarify, OD-2 doesn't do anything when I change the settings on the front panel, when editing a preset. Just a tiny bit of volume difference from 0-10. When I change OD1 and all the other parameters, things seem to work as it should.

Sounds cool though with no OD2 even. Playing around with it today with a Neunaber Illumine after the MP1, good stuff!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

That's not normal, could be a few things, OD2 wire not connected or bad contact. Vactrol, these have 2 wires going over the top to the PCB, sometimes these are shorted together. Bad vactrol or U14 bad (TC9176).

tnipe

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

That's not normal, could be a few things, OD2 wire not connected or bad contact. Vactrol, these have 2 wires going over the top to the PCB, sometimes these are shorted together. Bad vactrol or U14 bad (TC9176).
Thanks! I'll take it to the tech guy again and tell him this  :)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

If your tech has some questions he can always email me for more info.

tnipe

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

If your tech has some questions he can always email me for more info.

Thanks MarshallJMP! About to drop it off now. I wonder what the problem is, I'll report it here when we get it fixed.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Ok keep us updated!

tnipe

« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

The tech was not able to figure it out sadly, but I know he's very good at what it does so it must be something weird going on. Still just a few db's of volume when OD2 goes from 1 to 10.

I remember when I first got it, and I had a similar problem. There was not enough gain on the patches, but I was stumbling around in the menus pressing buttons and suddenly all the gain came back. Does anyone know if something like this could be firmware-related?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up