ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI Controlling Stomboxes  (Read 3032 times)

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
MIDI Controlling Stomboxes
« on: Time Format »

Hey Dudes,

I recently decided to pull the trigger on dialing in some modern metal sounds via the MP1.  Boss SD1 straight into the MP1 into the Jet City's effects return and we're in business.  The sounds is HUGE, but I can only get that sound with the SD1 running upfront.  I tried it via the MP1's loop, and I was either doing something wrong or it just wasn't working. 

What I would like to do is MIDI control the SD1 to turn on and off for different patches, while still controlling the MP1 and Quadraverb via the same system.  I know a lot of guys like loop switchers, like the BOSS ES8, but I don't think those can correspond via MIDI to the MP1, right?  I also can't justify spending $700USD on a big fat loop switcher just so I can turn overdrive off and on. 

Any insight you cats could provide would be extremely helpful.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: MIDI Controlling Stomboxes
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

It's normal that it sounds different in front, the loop is after the tube section so it will have a very different effect.

Maybe this is something you can use ?  http://www.voodoolab.com/hex_switcher.htm
There are others, so have a look around the net.

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

You will pretty much need a switcher or tap dance for that.  The hex switcher is nice, but you can get a GCX switcher used for less than hex new.

Now, you might think it’s overkill for one pedal, but you could also set it up for pre amp switching to switch between jet city pre and mp1, channel switching for the jet city and other things. I am using one currently and it’s a pretty flexible piece of kit.

I have modified the setup a bit from this,  it it’s pretty crazy what you can do.   I admit though, not exactly cheap, still looking at $500 for the GCX and GCP together used, but it is really slick.

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

How does the GCX Switcher differ from the HEX?  Seems to me like the HEX has more ins/outs, so for my needs I feel like the GCX would be a simpler, and more cost effective, solution.

The intent is to run everything via MIDI from our tracks, so I don't have to push any buttons live.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The GCX has 8 fully independent loops, while the Hex has 2 independent loops - one with one pedal and the other with five from looks of it - I have not used a Hex though.  Hex can be on pedalboard or rack mounted and is 1/2 rack so 2 can be together in 1U. GCX is only rack mount.

GCX lis a lot more flexible, neither one is really complicated.  Either should give you midi control of what you need.  If you listed your gear I could do a diagram showing you how to setup a GCX/Ground control pro if you need.

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I want to go via this signal chain:

Guitar -> SD1 -> NS2 -> ADA MP1 -> Quadraverb -> Jet City 333 effects return

What I want to do is patch the SD1 and NS2 to be bypassed for cleans/leads and on for rhythm.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

So, this is how *I* would hook it up:

This would let me:

1 and 2 turn pedals on/off.

Select between ADA and Jet City (Why not?  Jet City's are *great* sounding amps!).   Loop 3 and 4 off would be the Jet City, 3 and 4 on would be the MP-1

Quadraverb in a loop so could be bypassed

Loop 8 switches channels on the Jet City (Unless you have a single channel version, then not needed)

Using the Ground Control Pro with it, you can setup patches for MIDI patch change message for each device (MP-1 and Quadraverb) as well as assign which loops are on/off.

Granted, it still doesn't solve the $500 price tag (used) but it opens a lot of possibilities.  I agree, way overkill for just switching one or two pedals on and off.   But, taking advantage of the other things it can do.... well that's a whole new game.

FWIW I got both my GCX switcher and Ground control pro for under $400 used, looking around and waiting.   Still a fair price tag, but considering the flexibility it adds to a setup, I think it's well worth it.

It's your money and your rig, ultimately you need to be happy with what it does and what you put in to it.  Just showing options.  :D

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

This is SUPER helpful, thank you!  Trying to understand how to route everything through the manuals alone can get my brain in a pretzel sometimes. 
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:
Pages: [1]   Go Up