Other ADA Gear > ADA Effects

ADA D1280

(1/4) > >>

Chamai:
Hey friends,
Recently an ADA D1280 showed up at my local guitar store. Has anyone tried one? I couldn't find much info on it. I don't have a chance to try it out with my rig.

rnolan:
Hey Chamai, unfortunately we never got any ADA effects in Oz but it looks like a good delay with some other nice time based effects.  Others here like them, IIRC MJMP said it had a great flange  :dunno: .  When it came out it would have been one of the best long delay options (1280ms @ 15khz bandwidth).  Have a look at the manual (attached)

David Drake:
I bought one recently but only had a chance to experiment with it once and I believe mine may need repairs because my unit delay gets beyond crazy at the extreme settings but at the lower flange and  chorus settings sounds better than I thought it would. I downloaded the manual here but haven't gotten any farther than that.

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Chamai,

I never tried the D1280, but I do remember trying the D640 when they were a current item in the stores back in the day. I remember not being too impressed with the sound because it seemed to have a somewhat dark quality to it. At least to my ears it seemed that way, but remember, taste is subjective.
     It's the predecessor to the 1.28i, which followed the D series delays. I like the "i" series as well as the "S" series delays because they do sound good. The 1.28i has a similar layout as the D1280, with a selectable waveform added, so I can choose between Sine, Triangle and Square waveforms.
    All I can say to you is go audition it. try out a few different effects settings from the manual, and see what you think. If it sounds good to you, and the price is right, then go for it. In the early 80's, this was considered state of the art studio processing gear. By today's standards, it would be considered a mediocre pedal quality device to be honest, just like all my ADA effects processors.
    Just like all the old ADA gear, it's all about the character of tone which I think is quite unique to ADA. (Just my opinion). All of the ADA processors have their own characteristic personalities if you will. Who knows? You might find a dedicated effect situation for it down the road. I certainly have for many of my "S" series delays and my "i" series delays.

Just my personal thoughts on it.

Harley 8)

Chamai:
hey all, thanks for the response.
im going to test it out tomorrow and report back. the store wants $200 canadian for it. just realize its only mono though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version