ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This was a suggestion from Harley!  (Read 919 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
This was a suggestion from Harley!
« on: Time Format »

Well here's a vid of the MP-1 into two Marshalls as Harley had suggested for a crazy wide stereo sound! Once again the camera doesn't pick up the real sound of what's going on here but this is still really cool!  :banana:

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: This was a suggestion from Harley!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey DJC, very cool  :thumb-up:   Once you go stereo with MP-1, there's no going back  >:D (for me anyway).  So I discovered the chorus trick (depth 100, rate 0) back when I bought my first MP-1, and then used it on everything except when I actually wanted/needed chorus where I'd increase the rate.  The depth sets the delay time so you can experiment with lower depth settings (given that chorus is basically a short delay <40ms with modulation (rate) on the delayed signal.  I tried the same thing on the MP-2 but its chorus works a little differently and ends up being a comb filter effect (as described in the MP-2 manual), also very interesting sound (a bit flangey). 

So both the MP-1 and MP-2 go (pseudo) stereo at the chorus (chorus in or out) where the B ch is inverted.  So it's not "true" stereo but sounds awesome  :headbanger:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Orkun

• 80s Hard Rock/Metal Forever
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

That sounds awesome Brother!  :headbanger:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Sounds immense DJC!  AND LOUD  :headbanger:

So I discovered the chorus trick (depth 100, rate 0) back when I bought my first MP-1, and then used it on everything except when I actually wanted/needed chorus where I'd increase the rate.

Now contrary to popular trends I am a man who uses subtle stereo Chorus as a staple of my sound.  I have stereo amp and use the stereo chorus permanently into left and right cabs, so I know a thing or two about the benefits and I love it.

But I just thought of something, doesn't the MP1 manual actually tell you about this secret setting Richard?  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I first got wind of that setting and am near sure I read it somewhere.  I thought it was the manual.  Can anyone verify?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, good question, but it's not really a secret setting, more how you use it I envisage. 

MP-1 v1 Manual
CHORUS DEPTH
Adjusts the sweep depth from 0 to 100% for a maximum range of 7:1. When the Chorus Rate is set to 0 (off), the Depth control will vary the delay time to create different filtering and doubling effects. 

V2 Manual 
Note: with the chorus rate set to 0 the chorus depth parameter will act as a notch filter.  Changing the chorus depth value will change the notch filter point. 

So simple answer yes.  However, whilst I'm sure I read the manual way back (and a few times since being associated with the Depot), I just tripped over setting the depth to 100 rate 0 very early on and it sounded good  >:D (so that was my journey with it).  I've not played with moving the notch filter point by reducing it from depth 100, I assumed it was just the delay time. 

MP-2 Manual 
Depth (0%-100%): Found on screen 2. Sets the intensity of the Chorus effect 
Rate (0 Hz-10 Hz): Found on screen 2. Adjusts  the rate of the Chorus effect in 1/10 Hz steps. 

But I spose here's the thing, If you read any of the above, would that make you think "hey setting depth 100 and rate to 0 sounds great/fat"  so if there's any sort of secret, I spose that's it?

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Wow guys great info on the 100/0 setting, I can't wait to get home and check tha out! I wasn't aware of this!! :banana-skipping-rope-smiley-e
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

@Danny,

I thought you might like that, and FYI, there is a distinct difference in the sound from your earlier demo vids, it's definitely more lush. That comes through on the camera mic, even through the delay.

@ Gerry,

Yes sir! That is in the manual, but not as instructions, as a preset program to demonstrate the stereo wide effect.

@ Richard,

I don't see the 0/100 as a fat sound, but more of a wide sound which to my ears tends to make the guitar sound a bit thinner, but not drastically so. For a fatter guitar sound, I would use the chorus at a thick chorus setting and trim the Depth down to approximately 30%, or somewhere in that vicinity, and the Speed I would adjust anywhere from slow to medium, ( in the 3.3 to 4.3 range ).  Essentially, what I'm doing with the chorus here is trying to emulate the harmonic relationship between strings when they are vibrating slightly out of time with each other.
  For an even thicker chorus, I'll add an S-1000 set to chorus in the loop, or even two of them for a Tri-Chorus effect.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

@Danny,

I thought you might like that, and FYI, there is a distinct difference in the sound from your earlier demo vids, it's definitely more lush. That comes through on the camera mic, even through the delay.

Yeah it seems to a better sound even though it's a bit compressed. And for me the slighter thinner sound of the 100/0 could be better for me because the Marshall JVM fx return still uses the Resonance  and Presence controls amd I have them both turned off! The sound is almost too big so a thinner could help out too!
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Danny,

In this case as in many other instances of using effects and amplifiers, I can only offer this advice: Let your ears tell you if it's right.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

So I discovered the chorus trick (depth 100, rate 0) back when I bought my first MP-1, and then used it on everything except when I actually wanted/needed chorus where I'd increase the rate.

Hey

Now contrary to popular trends I am a man who uses subtle stereo Chorus as a staple of my sound.  I have stereo amp and use the stereo chorus permanently into left and right cabs, so I know a thing or two about the benefits and I love it.

But I just thought of something, doesn't the MP1 manual actually tell you about this secret setting Richard?  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I first got wind of that setting and am near sure I read it somewhere.  I thought it was the manual.  Can anyone verify?

Hey Rabidgerry!

Just saw your response; yeah I dig a slight chorus myself on everything - just makes it fatter and adds more depth to everything!  :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey

Hey Rabidgerry!

Just saw your response; yeah I dig a slight chorus myself on everything - just makes it fatter and adds more depth to everything!  :banana:

So glad I'm not the only one  :lol:

He man you need to update your signature as www.dejayceguitars.com does not go anywhere.

However https://dejayce-guitars.com/ does  :thumb-up:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey

Hey Rabidgerry!

So glad I'm not the only one  :lol:

He man you need to update your signature as www.dejayceguitars.com does not go anywhere.

However https://dejayce-guitars.com/ does  :thumb-up:

Hey Gerry thank you for letting me know that I'll update it right now!
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

ay.

@ Gerry,

Yes sir! That is in the manual, but not as instructions, as a preset program to demonstrate the stereo wide effect.

Thankfully I didn't dream that up!  I actually went and looked in the manual after I made the post and I could not for the life of me find it.  Now I know it's in the presets section  :bow:

Hey RG, good question, but it's not really a secret setting, more how you use it I envisage. 

Figure of speech man  :thumb-up:

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

ay.

@ Gerry,

Thankfully I didn't dream that up!  I actually went and looked in the manual after I made the post and I could not for the life of me find it.  Now I know it's in the presets section  :bow:

I'm glad you brought this up Rabid - great setting!  :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Sounding great  :headbanger:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs