ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Build Stratocaster  (Read 1320 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Custom Build Stratocaster
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Richard,

The early Fender guitars had a 7" radius fretboard. and I believe they kept that until 1980 when Dan Smith was head of production. That's when the 9" radius started to appear, then in 1983 with the introduction of the Elite series and the Vintage Reissue series, the 12" radius appeared on Fender guitars.

They didn't give any dimensions on the width or thickness at the 12th fret back then, but they did give the nut width which was 1-5/8"  on the vintage guitars, and the modern nut width as 1-11/16." So, assume that the neck heel stayed the same and only the taper of the neck from the nut to the heel was different. The thickness of the necks varied a bit depending on who was shaping and sanding them at Fender. They had several people working this job at the time, so there were variances in the overall thickness of the necks. It was just the basic profile that was changed from the deep "U" shape to a more comfortable "C" shape in 1979.
Remember, there was no automation back then, people were doing this by hand and following blueprints. I kind of miss that.

As for the MIJ guitars vs. the USA guitars, yes there was a difference and still is with the string spacing. The USA string spacing was wider, and still is today than the MIJ and MIM guitars. I'd have to look up the measurements as I don't recall them at the moment.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Yes I'm aware of string spacings varying as my first guitar was a Korean Squire so got my first taste of all that nonsense then as well as different screw hole dimensions for the vintage style 6 screw trem as opposed to 2 pivot.

But regarding string spacing on Floyd's, for the most part I believe they are standard (ish) as in they don't vary much other than that newer model I see on their website.  May be they did years ago but since I've been playing them every floyd I've ever owned was the same.

No since that body and neck on GF website are setup for FR bridge and FR nut, I would dare say they are fine for string spacing and I wouldn't need to worry about it. 

This guy here has done a nice job, But boy I hate that head stock

Looked at mightey mite necks and they're different heel dimensions so it looks like they would not fit the body I am after  :facepalm:

Looks like this project is coming to an abrupt end  :lol:

If only I did not have to pay over £100 shipping from Germany for this baby I'd buy it in a heartbeat and be done with it.  But I am not shelling out £137 for shipping.  This guitar below is a dream machine for me.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/59661998-fernandes-fst-65-1985-red
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Well, like the guy in the video, I have a Vega Trem on my (one & only) Strat and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Great trem system!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I'm with you about the headstock.  Seems shipping is still over the top pricing.  I did read recently global shipping was supposed to be getting cheaper again, but like bank interest rates, quick to go up, very slow if ever to go down again when the underlying factors change.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

From Germany I'd expect to pay a third of that for shipping.  Seems a lot of those FST-65's are out your side of the globe Richard, a lot in Japan and Australia.  I'd expect £138 to be the price for shipping from somewhere as far as that, but not Germany.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up