ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When do you know when the tubes need to be changed?  (Read 7175 times)

3Derek7

When i play my MP-1,the notes go kinda clean and lose their bite when on high gain settings. Does this mean it is time to change the tubes?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey 3Derek7, maybe (from your description it sounds like it could be), changing tubes is always a good place to start.  Do you know the history of the tubes in your MP1 (IIRC ADA recommended MP1 tube change every 2 years but is in the manual (see MP1 area), I assume this was based on very regular use ~3 to 5 night per/week).  Anyway it's a bit academic, if your tubes go off, you should change them.  For example, MJMP changes the tubes in his MP1 3TM every month or so, a bit like guitar strings (albeit a little longer, when I'm giging I'll change strings after every 2nd gig), but he likes to keep them at their absolute peak, which I understand (he doesn't throw them away, just puts them into other gadgets as they are not dead, probably just lost that "new" sparkle).
I've had MP1 now MP2 for many years, I only changed the tubes in them once each.  The original Chinese tubes punched well above their weight and lasted a long time.
So take off the lid and check the tubes.  The original tubes have no brand just say 12Ax7 in red.  And while you've got the lid off put in 2 new tubes (my current personal favs http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-12ax7.html) or (the short plate version http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html) either will melt you and work well in MP1, (or if it still sounds bad there's something else wrong so let us know how you go).
It may not be tubes BTW (as I said new tubes can't hurt and it's probably high time for some), tubes tend to go off slowly over time (newer tubes faster than the older tubes (mostly coz less vacuum/pumping these days)). But they tend to just not sound quite as good, not necessarily quite what you describe. Change out the tubes (you probably need to anyway) and we'll go from there.
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

3Derek7

Yeah....i just found out that the tubes are 1-2 years old. i guess it is a no brainer that they need to be swapped,right?
Thanks for you replies!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I'm hoping it's just tubes, and you can't go wrong putting in a nice new pair of decent tubes.  But 1 to 2 years into a tubes life (depending how much it was used) and based on my MP1/2 experience while new tubes gave it back some sparkle etc, the sound didn't degrade to what you describe.
Anyway it's the place to start  :thumb-up: Let us know how it goes.  Another good choice for the MP1 are low noise high gain JJs 12AX7s/ECC83s.

3Derek7

Funny you should say that! I am having two JJ 12AX7/ECC83's put in as we speak. I think i described my issue wrong. I really did lose some distortion and (Sparkle) rather than lose my whole tone. Like someone took the edge off. The sustain was still there in boatloads.But the bite and growl had all but diminished. Or at least faded. So i get my MP-1 back and hooked up to my rig Friday morning,and hopefully be happy to report my tone has returned! Thanks for your concern! While i am at it, where do i go to have a 3TM installed? and what am i looking at for cost? Is it worth doing? Thanks again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Cool, sounds like the new tubes will do the trick and the JJs very work well in MP1.
3TM mod king is MJMP (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/index.htm), it's worth doing if you want super high gain as it adds another tube (i.e 2 more gain stages (6 in total)) so depends on what you want to play. Plenty here like 3TM (and its variants), good chatter in the MP1 section.  Depending where you are in the world (MJMP's in Belgium) will influence who to get to do it, you can do the mod yourself also if your handy with a soldering iron.  Of the other mods, the noise mod and particulary the upgraded MDRT transformer mod are very worthwhile.
Cheers Richard

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Funny you should say that! I am having two JJ 12AX7/ECC83's put in as we speak. I think i described my issue wrong. I really did lose some distortion and (Sparkle) rather than lose my whole tone. Like someone took the edge off. The sustain was still there in boatloads.But the bite and growl had all but diminished. Or at least faded. So i get my MP-1 back and hooked up to my rig Friday morning,and hopefully be happy to report my tone has returned! Thanks for your concern! While i am at it, where do i go to have a 3TM installed? and what am i looking at for cost? Is it worth doing? Thanks again!

Are the JJ's the old tubes or did you just put in new JJ's?

Mail or PM me about the 3TM.

3Derek7

MarshallJMP...the old tubes, i was told were Groove tubes,or so the previous owner stated,i don't really know. i am having 2 JJ 12ax7,ECC83's put in right now. i hope they are as good as i hope them to be. By the way...what am i looking at in cost for a 3TM in U.S. Dollars,,and where do i go to have it done! Thanks a million!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey 3Derek7, the Groove Tubes could have been JJs, GT buy tubes, tests them, select the best ones and re-badge them (as do many others e.g. Boogie, Ruby etc.).  They are generally good tubes but the JJs will sound great, equally as good if not better (and definitely better than now LOL).  Ask your tech for the old tubes, GTs are very clearly labeled in big red writing. Also changing tubes in an MP1 is quite easy, just take off the lid/top pull out the old ones put in the new ones (they plug into a valve socket).

Either Personal Message (PM) or email MJMP for 3TM costs etc.

Cheers Richard

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Hey Derek

You've got mail.

3Derek7

:'(....I am very sad to announce that my ADA MP-1 is now defunct. I guess what i thought was the Tubes,was something very much worse.
I will acquire another MP-1 as soon as i can get my hands on one. I pray that day comes soon..til then...i dunno what to do.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

What happend?Maybe we can fix it?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

What happend?Maybe we can fix it?
Absolutely, can you tell us any detail, or get your tech to send us something/tell us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up