Non ADA Gear > Effects

The NU>X Pedal Board Build

(1/2) > >>

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Gang,

Okay, I had completed this project about a year ago, but didn't post anything about it because it didn't quite turn out like I was hoping it would.
    I was looking here to build the best budget minded pedal board I could build that would sound great through an amp, but also be able to plug directly into FOH mix and sound just as good.
    I accomplished half of that goal. It sounds great through any of my combo amps, but running direct, it's not so impressive. Maybe it's an EQ thing :dunno:

I've only tried it in my DAW as far as direct recording goes, but I'm not really gaining any ground on figuring out how to dial this in.

Anyway, here it is, and this is all mounted on a NUX large version pedal board. Pretty sturdy, but I'm not a fan of the bead lock velcro to mount pedals.

Starting at the bottom row, the signal flows like this:

JOYO Multimode II Wah/Volume pedal = $79
      NUX Sculpture Compressor pedal = $59
      NUX Cerberus Multi-effects pedal = $300 (set up in 4CM) signal comes out after OD/Dist.
      NUX Horseman OD/Boost = $69
      NUX Cerberus Modulation/Delay portion, then out two Outputs
      NUX Solid Studio (x2)

Overall, it's a pretty decent fly-rig, I can fit it in a supplied carry bag, and carry it on my shoulder. But the quest for tone goes on...

rnolan:
Hey Harley, wow, nice little setup.  Have you tried doing your own IR with the NUX Solid Studio? You could do one based off your Fender combos, or maybe try one using your ADA rig.

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Richard,

It's not the IRs that are the issue, it's the fidelity of the effects themselves. Some sound pretty darned good while a few sound really cheap. The Solid Studios aren't too bad at all for the price, and I think they do more than the Strymon Iridium which costs double what these do.

I'm still messing around with it though, so maybe I just have to dial it in better.

The reason I'm saying it right now is because I've got other pedals which I like better because they have much better clarity. Crazy Tube Circuits is one that I've been buying lately, and they have really good sound. Kind of pricey, but so far, they deliver the goods. One that has really impressed me for direct into DAW is the Crossfire. It gives me a clean amp tone right out of the box that sounds really good, plus if has a TS circuit built in which is pretty smooth.

I have a bunch of pedals that sound raspy or too fuzzy for lack of a better description, and fuzz is my least favorite tone.

Systematic Chaos:
Aargh, Pedalboards….
I tried hard to build me some and tried even harder to like it, all the stepdancing and such.
Hard to go any wrong with Mooer Micro Preamps (especially the 5153 is really killer).
All my efforts still felt/sounded like they were lacking sth:dunno:
Also tried it with a dedicated Loop Switcher (Moen GEC, that one even has a Solo Boost), 2 different Micro Preamps in the Loops, Keeley modded TS or SD or MXR GT-OD, TC Delay (Nova or Flashback), TC Corona Chorus….eventually ended up simplifying that with an Atomic FireBox and the later an Atomic AA3….
Common Backline Amps over here (my w plus 200 klicks radial) are 5150-type (all iterations, Peavey or EVH), Mesa Rectos or Marshall DSL/TSL/JVM…
If I’m not using my own stuff I just pack whichever OD Pedal I prefer that day plus a Chorus (and Delay) for the loop. Gets me there 99%. As soon as the drummer kicks in …. 

All that being said, I’m currently jonesing really hard for an Engl Ironball SE, Lunchbox (2x EL84, 5x 12AX7) with built-in OD Boost, Solo MV Boost, Noise Gate, Delay, and Rvb…all MIDI controllable (my old Digitech Control Seven would come in handy)

Harley Hexxe:
I hear you SC,

But the key here is what you said about the common backline amps over there. At least you guys can have amps in your backline. Over here, in my part of the country anyway, many of the clubs that used to have live bands have shut down since covid. The ones that are left, if they let you bring an amp at all, don't want anything louder than 20 watts. The other place won't let you bring any kind of amp at all, they want you to plug into the PA system direct.
   Over in Germany, you guys are still rockin'. Over here, we have a bunch of neo-maxied zoomed "wee-bees" who are trying to outdo each other as faux trend setters.
   Personally, I prefer my racks over anything, but that isn't happening unless it's an outdoor festival of some kind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version