ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self-servicing an MP1 and other things  (Read 817 times)

skarkowtsky

Hey there-

I picked up a couple of output jacks for a stock MP1 1.38 from JMP (thank you!). One needs to be replaced as the plastic port on the rear crumbled and the guitar jack no longer fits snugly (getting all sorts of signal interference). My local amp tech, who knows the MP1 inside and out, is moving from NJ to NC in a few weeks, so there goes my expert service and repairs.

I'm willing to try replacing the jack, but can't find a tutorial or video for properly pulling the boards from the chassis. Anyone have advice or a tutorial for doing so? Also, can anyone in the NYC / NJ area recommend a reliable shop to service my MP1 (and tube amps in general) going forward? Honestly, I'm trying to avoid Manhattan prices, NJ would be ideal. I can do minor things with a soldering iron and multimeter, but scopes, waveforms, etc. is way outside my comfort zone, and I don't mind paying for professional service.

Thanks!
John

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Self-servicing an MP1 and other things
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well getting the pcb out is not so hard. Loosen all the nuts from the jacks, then you need to unscrew the 2 philips head screws, then get the knobs off of the 2 pots and loosen the nuts. Now you should be able to get the pcb out. (if I didn't forget anything, doing this at the top of my head  :D)

Aelfad

Re: Self-servicing an MP1 and other things
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

As anything, soldering is a matter of practice and right equipment. Some time ago I wouldn't even think of small repairs and dabbling with electricity, but now I'm slowly getting better and better. I've found that just practicing on some defunct boards helps me in this.

And one important thing - unless you know well what steps you are going to take, make notes and take pictures, so that you won't have to worry you might confuse some wires or parts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up