ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken - Furman PM-8E Series II Power Conditioner  (Read 5177 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

Guy's you both are a great help.  Really I am in debt to you for always helping me out.  I mean that sincerely and others on here who are a constant font of knowledge.  I actually wish I was properly electrically engineer minded (I might take a course time if I ever get time).

MJMP totally much appreciated my man!  :thumb-up:  I look forward to getting back to Belgium with the band, or even as a tourist.  I loved that tour, it was an amazing experience.  To get to meet you then in the process of that was a mega bonus.  And to think my tone was nowhere near as good as it is now (shorter cable runs my friend  ;) like you always said) so I'd be keen for you to hear how it all sounds now I'm fully fledged rack user.  Then again, I've developed a flight rig with only one rack unit in it  :facepalm: but has a high voltage preamp pedal at the heart  :whoohoo!:

As for the Furman.  I'd replace that one cap, may be a few other bits here and there and no doubt it will take me a while to get the time to do it.  But it sounds/seems possible that there are other parts in there that have A) taken some beating or B) could possibly be screwed already.  So Rusty I may take you up on your offer.  I will perhaps get to checking the components out to see where we are first of all though so we will take it from there.  It's nice to have a challenge but can be really time consuming what with all the other shit I got going on (and plus I'm lazy too  :lol:) .

Ok guy's so here is the next question, what do you think caused this?  I thought these furman PC's were meant to indestructible??  I can definitely tell you I was not the one messing about inside with the unit.  It's stayed in my rack since I bought it of ebay a few years back and powered everything nicely.  Until a few weeks ago.

Again thanks to both you guys.

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

Resurrecting this thread despite the unit seemingly working now I replaced the brown cap.  I'm going to replace those black Panasonic caps.

How can I clean off the black tar like substance that is on the PCB's?  I will re-cap this unit and sell it I think.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey RG, you can buy PCB cleaning stuff (spray?).  Not sure what a good brand is for that.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

Hey RG, you can buy PCB cleaning stuff (spray?).  Not sure what a good brand is for that.
  I dunno, I thought most people used alcohol the isopropyl stuff.  I dunno if that is going to shift the black tar like substance.  I could try it.

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !

CRC makes a ton of electrical sprays , cleaners etc. It's all over the states but try amazon I have gotten it from amazon before.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

I will have a look.  Also see them on amazon too  :thumb-up: Thanks for that.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

CRC also sells under the "kontakt chemie" brand name in Europe.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

I've been reading through this thread, and looking at the pictures, I noticed something, and I wonder if it offers any explanation to the cause...

Am I the only one who thinks the screw heads that hold the PCB's to the chassis, have rust on them?

Has this Furman been stored, or used in an excessively damp environment?  Furman's ARE bullet proof, but they are not waterproof. No electronics likes moisture in it's circuits.

Just an observation.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

My old house was quite cold but I wouldn't have said that room it was in was damp or anything, nothing else was affected in the slightest so I'm ruling that out.  However the previous owner might have stored it somewhere.

I think the outcome of this was when I finally got caps for it it worked fine.  However I have other caps that I bought that I still need to replace.  Panasonic ones which can be seen in some of the pics.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Gerry,

Have you looked at Mouser Electronics? I believe they ship world wide.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up