ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chucky BOSTON tone #1  (Read 5018 times)

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!
Chucky BOSTON tone #1
« on: Time Format »

I'm onto a "Bostonish" project lately and have been tweaking a lot of gear in the pursuit of achieving
a potent Scholzian tone.
Aside from using a Rockman X100 and a Distortion Generator, I'm trying other things too.

I have to say that I'm closing in pretty well with the MP-2.
I still have a bit of refining to do but I feel that I'm in the ball park now.
Tom Scholz' signal chain is quite unique...But the MP-2 is flexible enough to cover most bases on its own.
You only need the MXR 6 band EQ at the input to make it closer.

BOSTON

Voice: 6
Drive: 79
Master: 90
Comp: 4:1
EQ:
Low: +6
Mid: +8
Treble: +4
Presence: +6

Graph EQ:
100Hz  -2
170  +4
280  0
470  -4
800  +6
1.3  0
2.2  -4
3.8  +2
6.3  -2

Wah: in  Pedal mode 30

Gate in Threshold: 52
EMGs suck my energies.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Chucky BOSTON tone #1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

As you may or may not know, I just bought a DG.

But regardless,  it's all about the 800hz  :thumb-up:

Generally before distortion.

I like the tone too or variations of it.  Boss gear can get it ok also.  Any eq in front will do.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, cool  :thumb-up: , I wouldn't have thought to chase 800hz
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chucky

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Well night always brings rest and the next morning you have fresher ears, cleaner brains...

Although I'm still very happy with my first MP-2 Boston tone, it fits for certain songs/parts as
Boston albums have a flurry of various tones, although all circling around the same center target.

I took my first patch and redialed it around the intro riff of "Smokin' ".
It only needed a few tweaks to get right there.

Voice: 6
Drive: 55
Master: 90
Comp: 4:1
EQ:
Low: +6
Mid: +8
Treble: +6
Presence: +6

Graph EQ:
100Hz  -2
170  +4
280  0
470  -4
800  +6
1.3  0
2.2  -4
3.8  +2
6.3  -2

Wah: OUT

Gate in Threshold: 55
EMGs suck my energies.

Chucky

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

As you may or may not know, I just bought a DG.
Sweet!! Love mine too!

But regardless,  it's all about the 800hz  :thumb-up:

Generally before distortion.

I like the tone too or variations of it.  Boss gear can get it ok also.  Any eq in front will do.
Well I've been doing some serious research over the last few months and the Boston sound isn't all that simple.
Of course cranking the 800hz will get you close right off the bat.
But after a while you will start feeling that something is missing.

The signal chain is quite extensive actually.
From what I gathered, you have that 6 band EQ going pre-distortion, sometimes it may be coupled with
either a cocked wah about halfway or some parametric EQ simulating the same idea.
Then you get in your distortion/amp stage. (Tom seems to favor rather SS types over tubes)
Out from the amp there is yet another EQ, ten bands, pretty much in a sawtooth/notchy manner.
Then he applies either or both chorus and delay (Around 200 ms).
There's a lot of multi-layering in his work, so he uses also pitch transposition/detuning to fatten the track.

All the guitar sounds we hear on albums are pretty tweaked and layered...

So there, only boosting the 800hz won't take you there.
At least not to the point where I want to take it.

Note: While direct recording, the ROOM EQ knob on the MP-2 front panel comes in handy for final overall hi-end adjustment.
I'm starting to (finally) dig the MP-2!!!
  :bow:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chucky »
EMGs suck my energies.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Oh yeah I hear ya, it's extensive alright.  I just meant in the EQ department, the 800 seems to be important in the Scholze method.  It's weird he designed the ROCKMAN EQ to have a slider at 700hz,  I have one of those also.  Very musical sounding EQ indeed.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Chucky

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Oh yeah I hear ya, it's extensive alright.  I just meant in the EQ department, the 800 seems to be important in the Scholze method.  It's weird he designed the ROCKMAN EQ to have a slider at 700hz,  I have one of those also.  Very musical sounding EQ indeed.
Well the ROCKMAN EQ is designed to do the after amp notching while the preamp EQ is a regular MXR 6 band EQ.
I programmed a few post EQs in Reaper that I apply to tracks after recording.
It makes all the difference!
EMGs suck my energies.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Oh I know, I just meant it's an unusal number to see on any guitar EQ, normally it's 800hz, but Scholtz figured 700hz was best.  He based it on a modified boss eq from what I've read.

Ok so just got the DG, it seems there is a loose connection somewhere.  Only seems to work, when I press down on the top of the unit, or set it sideways and hit it a few slaps and generally jiggle about with it.  Controls seem fine, apart from one thing, Autoclean.  Chucky what is this supposed to do?  On the sustainor I never used it but if I remember correctly it's meant to turn to clean the lighter I pick string correct?  Mine seems bust, pressing the button in made the output go insane and also the distortion much, much fuller, less hollow.  Should I saw to the ebay seller he sold me a dud?

I think though if I get this baby working properly I will enjoy it a lot though.  I have the tone there, I can hear it, however it's a little dull so might need post EQing for further brightness.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

There's a wealth of info on Jark's website:

http://www.rockman.fr/Reviews/DG.htm

The next significant addition is the circuit called Autoclean. We all know that turning down the volume pot of the guitar reduces the gain of the distortion: to a certain extent, we can go down from plain distortion to light overdriven sounds. To a certain extent only: the balance between the treble and the bass frequencies is messed up, and we lose a lot of dynamics. Moreover, it is virtually impossible to go as low as a clean sound with this technique.

Well, all in all, the Autoclean circuit allows doing all that: total control over the saturation without signal loss, without dynamics loss, from the guitar volume pot! It is even possible to reduce the gain down to the clean sounds range.

Though the basis of the Autoclean circuit doesn't look complex, it was actually very tricky to design, and as a matter of fact, only the younger Sustainors have an Autoclean that really works great.

http://www.rockman.fr/Reviews/SP.htm
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Chucky

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Controls seem fine, apart from one thing, Autoclean.  Chucky what is this supposed to do?
Basically it turns your volume up while turning down the volume knob to get less gain on distortion settings.
To mimmick a "clean" tone while remaining on the distorted channel...and keep being heard in the mix.
Pretty cool idea actually.
EMGs suck my energies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up