ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabinet Simulators  (Read 69759 times)

vansinn

Re: Cabinet Simulators
« Reply #105 on: Time Format »

Move the mic around?  Sounds like an algorithym in what ever software it if you're using to me as opposed to one impulse that contains various points, I'm pretty sure impulses are made up of single points as opposed to multiple and that works fine from my experience as no one moves my mic about at gigs.

If I want a different mic sound I pic say the IR of celestion GT75 - sm75 centre 2 inches from grill or pic celestion GT75 - sm75 centre 3 inches

I don't have impulses made up of multiples impulses, this seems like an odd concept to me.  I'm pretty sure it's impossible actually unless you brough IR's into a daw and over lapped them but I have no idea why you would do this.  I know red wirez impulses are all individual impulses and any other IR i have used is the same, they contain one set of information for what the tone will be like at that moment.

Actually, impulse-based technology is basically merely a variant of Fourier transformation, or, in our case, inverse Fourier transformation.
As such it is simply a series of discreet measurements, fed to a filter with a large number of poles and zeros, or, on more practical terms, corresponding to a large number of filter steps.
Impulse technology is also used for calculating i.e. how a  suspension bridge handles varying loads in windy conditions.
Some, or, it seems to me, a few, use up to 2048 samples, and maybe at a high sampling rate, while others may use as few as 256-512 samples.

Now, it is essentially a series of discrete samples, it really isn't infeasible to 'simply' run calculations on several sets of samples, thus essentially merge them.
I don't have i.e. the Two Notes software, but it is my understanding they actually have software that allow doing this - or am I thinking about Kemper.. :dunno:
From this also follows that it really shouldn't be that difficult recalculating the captured impulse to mimick the effect of moving the microphone.

WRT generating the impulse file, anything can be used, actually, like a sine. a sine sweep, white or pink noise, a real guitar or actual music - I think Art of Noise or Heruntergestürtzenden Neugebauten (speeling?) or maybe even pr0n sounds [sic] might make for some interesting impulses :lol:
Jokes aside, Kemper actually starts the generation of capturing an amp's characteristics by running some sweep and other weird sounding stuff through it.
After this follows the finetuning, where you'll plug your guitar in and run actual guitar sounds through, this being for fine tuning the generated impulse to best match up.
How i.e. Two Notes does it, I don't know; only that they use 2048 samples at 96 kHz.
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #106 on: Time Format »

Well this further supports my idea that I can make my own impulses as per instructions that are online (just type in a search and it comes up) and capture my own rig for example and get a pretty good clone of the sound.

I'm going to try it but only when I get the time.  I have the voxengo software that allows the sine sweep and all that jazz and I have the capability to play it through my rig and record out the other end so I don't see why not.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #107 on: Time Format »

There's no harm in trying it out,so keep us updated on how it goes.

vansinn

« Reply #108 on: Time Format »

Of course you can, that's exactly what the Voxengo software (and others) were made for.
It's basically the same setup as when playing and recording, only, you'll be using the weird sounds from the software instead of your axe.
Aaaaand, you'll be spending a nice amount of time testing and getting mics lined up just right, EQ set just right, and other sortsa fun :thumb-up: :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #109 on: Time Format »

I still love speakers and actual cabs but isn't this impulse technology amazing?

I mean it's like stealing or copying equipments souls or something!  I'll really need to set aside a day to try make an impulse of my own.  I'd love others to try make some of their own also.  May be even make a reverb or two  :)  My speaker sim can play reverb impulse as well.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up