ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Rig Pix MXC Pedal CC Control of MP2 & MB1  (Read 11069 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Can't you use the vol pedal with the MB-1 too? I thought you could.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Re: Rig Pix
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I was pondering that after I read the MB1 manual.  I need to read it again but my take on it was you can use a CC pedal to vary a parameter but I think you have to be editing "that" parameter. So say you select Tube master vol to edit, you can use the pedal to change the value (and hear it change) but then you have to store it. So if you stay on one patch and keep it in edit mode you could change either the Tube master vol OR the SS master vol while playing.

I got excited when I started to read about it in the manual, then, as I read further, realised what I'd hoped wasn't actually the case.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

No don't think so, I think you can program it so you can alter the volume wihtout being in edit mode.
It's all explained in the  software v2 release notes.Problem is it's kinda complicated.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

My pedal isn't that stiff, and is actually very useful with the built in Wah. The volume pedals I use are the Ernie Ball pedals. Attenuating the Master Volume always seemed to limit the range of the MP-2 to me, meaning it didn't open it up to the full volume when I tried it like that, so I'm good with it in the input.
   I also own one of the stereo volume pedals and sometimes I use that one between the MP-2 and the power amp.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, cool, I'll check it out some more tonight as that would be good.

Hey Harley, dumb question, did you set the range of the CC pedal in the MXC ?  I haven't found it limits the overall output.  I got a 2nd pedal pack with the last MP2 purchase so I'll set one up for wah and give it a go.  I've always used triggered wah for the rare times I use it.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

A valid question, since I'm sure many have overlooked it. Yes, I did set the range 100 - 0. Still, I noticed on both preamps, that it didn't quite make it to the full volume that I set it to. What I believe is even more useful for that CCP would be to set it to alter another parameter like the Chorus Rate, or something else similar to that.
   When I use it as a Wah Controller, I set the range to 70%-75%. I seem to get a very unobtrusive and pleasant effect that works very well with my outboard ADA Flanger and Delays.

Harley 8)

P.S. I forgot to mention, I can also turn on and off the Wah effect with the pedal by pressing it toe forward all the way.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Rig Pix MXC Pedal CC Control of MP2 & MB1
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I moved and renamed this as we are going OT but in a good way  :thumb-up: .
Hey Harley, the other one (and the one I meant) Pedal Pot Range (9 + 5 on your MXC). It needs to be set for each CC pedal in each pedal input P1 & P2 (to adjust for any small differences in the specific pedals pot range). So if you assign it to master vol it gives you the full range of the MP2 volume.  If though the MP2 is louder without the pedal (than with the pedal and pedal full on), then that's an issue to keep in mind. I'll check mine, you may be on to something here, when my MP2 goes gah gah from low generator power, it sometimes drops the pedal <> master vol global assignment, and I do recall without the pedal it "possibly" did seem louder.

Hey MJMP, I got the CC going with the MB1, it's not an easy read those vers 2 release notes.  The concept is probably better explained in the MP2 manual as it's much the same and it has some diagrams IIRC which help get your head around it.

So I assigned a CC pedal to volume (it does both tube and SS masters as one and keeps their relative setting to one another).  It works but a little differently to the MP2. Well thinking more about it, you can do the same thing with MP2 but MP2 has additional overall "global" master vol.

So when you change patches with MB1, they start at their programed master vol, you have to sweep the pedal for it to take over for that patch at that time. This makes sense as you are adjusting "that patches" master vol.

With the MP2s additional master vol, if you sweep it to off, it stays there (or wherever you have the pedal set) no matter what patch is selected (which I find handy)

I also assigned the chorus on/off, now chorus had to be on in that patch in the first place and again it's patch dependent, if you change to another patch and then back it will be on again.  This is the same with MP2.

Some notes for MB1: The CC controller numbers in the "Pallets" have to be assigned, and the MB1 defaults don't match the quad switch so I had to assign Pallet 8 (Chorus toggle (BTW it says Pallet 6 in the release notes, that's a typo, it P8)) to a quad switch button, I picked button 3 which by default is CC# 66. So now anytime I select a patch with chorus on, I can press button 3 and turn it off.

Pallet 9 is the Edit Pedal, it needs to be assigned to the CC pedals CC#, in my case 31 (MB1 had it assigned to CC#7  :dunno: ).  This is a "fixed" pallet for master vols.  So in Internal or Midi preset mode you press Store then Bank + 7, then 9 (selects P9), then use arrow keys to select 31, press store (exit and store).  Now when in any patch (not fact presets mode) sweeping the CC pedal will grab onto and control the master vols for that patch.

This is as far as I went for now, you can assign CC to up to 8 audio parameters from each pallet (and really get a headache  :facepalm: )

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I think it can only do 4 audio parameters.I came across this when I was figuring out the sysex thing for griphook.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Richard.

The volume drop itself is a slight drop, not a drastic one, but my ears pick up that more is missing than just a little of the volume. It sounds as though there is some of the high end missing too. Maybe something else, I can't be sure. It's a common problem I've noticed with volume pedals, so I'm very picky about which ones I'll use.
   The bottom line for me is: If any gadget in my signal path alters the tone I have, then it needs to come out of that signal path, (unless it's altered intentionally that way).

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I haven't experimented further, the notes say it can do up to 10 parameters (one per pallet#, reality is 8 I think). It has 10 pallet#s (0-9), you assign a controller # to a pallet (it can be assigned to any other pallet(s) at the same time in which case it acts on them all (e.g toggle loop A & B and Chorus off with one CC button press)).  Each pallet is mapped to one of 8 parameters available in each patch, 4 mappings are fixed (although allegedly these can be overridden on a patch by patch basis).  So the fixed pallets are: P6 - toggle loop A, P7 -  loop B, P8 - Chorus and P9 - Edit Pedal (master vols). Pallets 0 through 5 can be assigned to any (assignable) parameter and mapped and controlled with a CC#.
So to do the above example, assign quadswitch button 3 (CC#66) to pallet 6, 7 and 8 now button 3 will toggle all 3 at once. Now Chorus has to be on in the given patch, not sure about the loops.
It's a bit confusing but I think I've got it sussed.  It gets even more complicated when you want to use a pedal in reverse on one parameter while also using it forward in another, which you can do.. :facepalm: e.g. Assign CC pedal #31 to Pallet 1 and Pallet 2, assign Pallet 1 to ch depth (fwd/increase (you can select pedal direction) and Pallet 2 to ch rate (bkwd/decrease). So now moving the pedal forward increases the depth and decreases the rate, backward the opposite.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, now you have me thinking about it I think I've noticed it to. It's not much but there's a slight openness and also top end loss.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

ow I just saw I uploaded the wrong file  :facepalm:

Now anywyay there something in the manual about the max 4 slots you can use.I'll look it up.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, now you have me thinking about it I think I've noticed it to. It's not much but there's a slight openness and also top end loss.

Okay, Thank you! I wondered if I was the only one who experienced something like that with volume pedals

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

ow I just saw I uploaded the wrong file  :facepalm:

Now anywyay there something in the manual about the max 4 slots you can use.I'll look it up.
There's 6 that aren't fixed (Pallets 0-5) in a global context, (Pallets 6-9) are fixed (ie assigned to specific parameters). So these are global assignments and affect all 256 Internal presets.  However, there are only 8 parameters within each patch that can be mapped (to a Pallet #), the notes don't say what they are.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Well what I tried to do was to hook up a CC pedal to each vol (input,master of tube and SS) so I had 4 and then I tried to hook up one pedal to the chorus depth and then I got that error that I could only use 4.

BTW I just attached the correct pdf.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up