ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 3TM Patches  (Read 48788 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: 3TM Patches
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Thanks Richard.  I do sometimes, and sometimes I don't.  When I remember I do lol  It's harder with reverb which I always use unfortauntely.  I am a neat freak sometimes like that so it pisses me off if I don't have little breath spaces where there should be some.  Live sometimes I'm just lucky to have played the right thing hahahhahaha

Our bass player hasn't a clue how to mute in little instances like that, I had to beat him round the head a few times to get him to stop strings ringing into one another during our last recordings sessions!!  He eventually got the hang of it  :)

dry version to follow
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

It's pretty fundamental to make a band sound tight. "it's more important what you don't play than what you do play" albeit the holes are small and harder in some ways when you play very fast, but no less important. If you all make the same holes (drums, bass, guit, vocals (to a point) the band will sound tight. It's even more important when you play with distortion/sustain/volume (as notes ring on and create mush).
One way you can help how much the reverb, delay (and any time based FX) help (or hinder) your spaces is to adjust their (delay) times (rev, del, chorus etc) to be in time with the song. So work out beats per minute (it will vary a little between rehearsal and live no doubt  >:D ) of each song, turn it into mili seconds (i.e. how many MS is 1/4 note, 1/2 note etc) and use those values or products of those values for you patches (e.g. I want the delayto be 1/8 note with 3 repeats). It's a bit fiddly and pedantic (you may get close enough with a tap tempo button), but helps heaps (and a must for recording).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Yeah I shorten the time on reverbs depending on what speed and type of riffs I'm using.  This would be just for general ambience reverbs.  If I was going for more "effect" styles like a hall reverb for a solo I would be as fussy.

Sometimes I have to shorten it to abou 0.5msecs  I generally seem to stick about 0.7-0.8msecs though anyways.

I love Chorus  :thumb-up:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

In your case where you are flying into gigs, renting cabs, and (I assume) getting the sound guy they provide ?? (but even if you brought you own guy how much would they let him/her change). Thus what you present to the mics they put on you is what you have to work with, thus the tighter the sound from you guys, (the front house dude will no doubt put an overall reverb on and some vox delay ??), the better it will sound. And particularly in your bands style, one of the things that will help set you apart from the others is "playing the holes" (with lots of energy, but you do that already  >:D :thumb-up: )

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Yeah that's pretty much the exact case.  We don't have our own sound guy.  We have to adapt constantly and I will be honest, it's very hard for me.  But experience has brought me a long way and I play through shit conditions and still look like I'm having fun even if I'm miserable and ready to go home and cry because the sound on stage is so awful. 

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

dry solo this time

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Mercyful fate jam

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Sounds good just a bit too much highs for me.Now this could sound good in a band mix.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

really?  hahaha  I can't say for sure but I really think Richard would probably say there needs to be more high end  :lol:

Me personally  it sounds fine to me.  Obviously though I can make it sound different purely by the speaker choice.  Your patch settings are still the same, all that I changed was the speaker impulse.

If I was mixing that I couldn't tell what I would need to omit until I had drums and bass and vocals all together.  I always try to get best results at the root recording so as little as possible will need changed in DAW.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

dry solo this time
Hey RG, nice gallop, great tone I like it  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Mercyful fate jam
Hey RG, I'd add some sparkle (tops) to that one (maybe my ears are gone LoL) but great sound  :thumb-up: That would sit quite nicely in the band mix IMO (maybe a touch of aural exciter  >:D ), hey nice playing also  :thumb-up:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

dry solo this time
Sounds boss! For me, I´d add a bit of Chorus (very subtle, just to broaden it up a bit) and some Delay (250ms R / 500ms L; 3repeats) and I´d be golden!

What Cab impulse/Speaker type did you use for that one??
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

At that speed, delay I'd go half that (ish) ~174 ms left and 348 ms right, hey try both and whatever in between, it helps (allot) if it's a product/ratio of the song's speed. Although with just one guitar, you can get away with bigger delays, with 2 guitars it becomes more difficult (so shorter works better IMO) but do you want echo ? (in which case SC's numbers would maybe be better) or are you just building a tone ?? (which can be a complex beast LoL)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

dry solo this time
Sounds boss! For me, I´d add a bit of Chorus (very subtle, just to broaden it up a bit) and some Delay (250ms R / 500ms L; 3repeats) and I´d be golden!

What Cab impulse/Speaker type did you use for that one??

The cab was

Basketweave G12M25s-SM57-Cap-0in

think basket weave is an old marshall cab right MJMP?

hey SC, I did a version with subtle chorus a few posts back, did you check that for comparison?   Or will I do it again?  Chorus on the earlier one was

rate 20
depth 30
pre-delay 30ms
mix 50

I've not used a delay in a solo in a long time.  There is one I fancy adding it too actually I must get round to working that out.  Not sure if I would use it for the whole solo.

Mercyful fate jam
Hey RG, I'd add some sparkle (tops) to that one (maybe my ears are gone LoL) but great sound  :thumb-up: That would sit quite nicely in the band mix IMO (maybe a touch of aural exciter  >:D ), hey nice playing also  :thumb-up:

I knew you would want more hi end.  For me that's spot on.  Sounds dark sometimes, but I notice a massive difference when I say am listening to one speaker and then swap to another one.  If I start my session of with that speaker BasketweaveG12M25s-SM57-Cap-0in  it sounds fine.  If I switch to a brighter one and then go back to the original one it will sound real dark.  How I gauge things from now on is the first impression listen before ear fatigue of any kind sets in or any bias from anything else.

I'm not doing anything with that Richard in regard to building a tone.  I'm just firing out examples of that patch and results of my DI setup.  Playing about really.  I'm not even using that solo mind you I will rewrite lyrics for that song and use it again some day as the music is too good (in my opinion).  And to think I wrote that track when I couldn't play lol  actually some debate as to whether I can even play now  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

Hey RG (actually some debate as to whether I can even play now) your doing pretty well IMO (for what it's worth LoL)  :thumb-up:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up