ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Car talk  (Read 1981 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Car talk
« on: Time Format »

It's not a car, it's a JEEP

;D

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Car talk
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

It's not a car, it's a JEEP

;D

Aaaaahhhh  8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I call her Ruby

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, way back when you originally made the quip I think you had a small hatch back IIRC.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Nice JEEP !!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, way back when you originally made the quip I think you had a small hatch back IIRC.

I may have had my VW GTi, but I still have a Ford Fiesta (for long trips)....coulda been either one I guess  :dunno:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Nice JEEP !!

She's my baby

I would've never picked Red, but she was my Dad's and she only had 66k miles when I bought her. I didn't want him to sell her to anyone else, so I sold my Jeep to get her (my Jeep had 220k miles)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Nice ride Dante,

Are we going to go off-roading?

(I just bought a Chevy Silverado 4x4 last week)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Go Harley  :whoohoo!: , not that off-roading is my thing, but I get it  :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Go Harley  :whoohoo!: , not that off-roading is my thing, but I get it  :thumb-up:

It's not mine either Richard, I've never done it before.

But I just stumbled across a deal for a 2005 Silverado for $1000 USD. Where are you going to find a pickup truck for that price?

Of course, it goes without saying that I need to do a bit of wrenching on it. New battery, new radiator and transmission cooling lines, Ignition tune up, and new tires that I know of right now, but hey, it has 4 wheel drive when I need it so why not give it a go?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, great price and seems a good project.  I had a Ute (utility? Holden HG) back in my early 20's (1979/80 ish), bought it for $75 AUD, very cheap.  So here, (back then) we had 4 door sedans, Utes (2 door) and pannel vans (also 2 door but hard canopy over the back).  They all had the same underlying chassis. So my ute had the rear seat floor pans covered over with a piece of plywood.  It was a good hiding place for a couple of guitars.  Great car for lugging gear (and moving house), had to throw a tarp over it in the wet.  Holden has gone the way of the dinosaurs, the last version they made was (I think) the Maloo which Top Gear had fun burning the tires off.  These days we seem to have US style pick ups like the Ford Ranger etc.  Seem to be 4 door with a canopy over the rear tray and I think some of them are 4 wheel drive e.g. the Toyota Hi Lux.  I liked that ute, you could pretty much pull it apart with a 1/2" and a 9/16" spanner.  I even changed out the engine/gearbox by the side of the road one time.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

I'm very familiar with a Ute. There are a couple of guys in Oz who do stuff like that and they have a Youtube channel called Mighty Car Mods. Some very funny stuff they come up with. They are very similar to some of the guys here in the States who I'm a big fan of, that do just as crazy stuff with old clapped out junk cars.
   I have a subscription to Motor Trend On Demand, and the shows on there feature these guys, but you can find them on YT as well. A couple of these channels are: Roadkill, Roadkill Garage, and Hot Rod Garage. There are a few others too, but the guys on the ones I just mention build cars that are totally bananas, and they do some insane stuff with them from time to time. I get a lot of my ideas for my own cars from guys like that.
   And of course, since the truck I just got has been spanked by it's previous owners, it's a perfect roadkill candidate. In fact, I'm debating what I should call it. So far, the choices I've come up with are: Silver-rusto, or Rusty-rado, or even Rotting-rado. I considered Silver-rotten, but that makes it sound it's stinky, which it isn't.
    It has a 5.3L Vortec V-8, with a 4L60E transmission and transfer case, and the motor sounds great even though it's throwing codes for a misfire. I'm already on that issue, so no worries. So it has potential.

Who knows? Maybe one day I'll run into a clapped out PT Cruiser, or something similar, and cut it up and make my own version of a Ute!

P.S. I do remember Holden. I saw a lot of them growing up in Greece. Didn't know they went belly-up though.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I'm a fan of those shows also, I get some of the episodes on a steaming channel, Turbo, which also includes a bunch of other car shows. 

I like Rusty-rado of you name choices so far. 

In the end Holden were owned by GM and we were subsidising them quite a few million a year to keep the plant (in Adelaide) going.  Australia is such a small market and people get paid properly (well mostly) so it was difficult for them to be profitable.  Anyway, the conservative gov got into power and pulled the plug, Adelaide is still recovering from the fallout.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Richard,

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely recall something about GM owning Holden. They were kind of boxy, conservative looking cars for the most part. Sorry to hear they put the city of Adelaide into turmoil. GM like any of the big three as we call them are all about profit.

Maybe I'll get some pics of the truck and start a poll to see which name people like best. Or maybe even see if anyone suggests a better one. That ought to be good for a laugh.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, good idea  :thumb-up:   

I think the last new model they were making was the Cruze which kind of flopped.  I see a few around, I also heard stories of them being lemons.  Also they were a bit slow to include all the mod cons which it seems Merdedes largely pioneered and then got added to other car lines.  The Japanese and Korean cars were quicker to include the options and were predominantly cheaper here. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up