ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitizer 4 Noisy Transformer  (Read 2288 times)

kissfan113

Digitizer 4 Noisy Transformer
« on: Time Format »

Got the battery replaced in a new to me digitizer4 today and powered it up for the first time, all very good except the transformer has a pretty good buzz going on, if I pinch the case right near the transformer area I can feel it but it quiets down, is this a common issue or a one off

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Digitizer 4 Noisy Transformer
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hard to say, I expect it wasn't buzzing when new.  I have an IPS33 smart shift that has the same buzz issue (and didn't when new).  If I take off the lid you can't hear it, so it's reverberating through the case lid.  You could try checking the transformer mounting points, maybe some rubber grommets on the mounting bolts may help?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kissfan113

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

It’s worth a shot, the transformer has a pretty loud hum when the covers are off, which I’m assuming wasn’t likely when it was new, not sure if transformers would be available for replacement or not.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Does the transformer gets hot after a while?

kissfan113

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I havnt run the unit enough as of yet to tell, only about 5 mins at most. I will get back with you once I have a chance to run it for an hour or so

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

BTW normally I have a 110V digitizer transformer lying around somewhere should you need one. But first check if it heats up and if the screws are tight.

kissfan113

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I’ll check for heat, I did check the screws they are tight

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I've owned a lot of D4's, and I'm still down to two of them, but none ever hummed. If I played them right they'd sing though.. ::)

So I'd say it's not a common issue.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

kissfan113

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

MarshallJMP I plugged the unit in today for a few hours, left at idle not in use. It is still noisy and the case does get pretty warm, not burn your fingers warm but warmer than I’d think it should be with no real use.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

30 or 40°C or 90-100°F (warm but not HOT)is not a problem. So that looks ok to me. Do you have a power meter?

kissfan113

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Fluke 376fc clamp meter, where should I check voltages?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Nice meter btw but not accurate enough in the lower current measurements. What I meant by a power meter is one of those things you plug in your wall socket to measure the power an attached device draws from the net. This way I could compare it with one of mine to check it doesn't draw too much power.

kissfan113

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I’m out of town for the next 3 weeks, I have a power meter built into my Furman pl-plus DMC but it may not have the accuracy I need either, those would likely be my only two options for now I’m trying to gather some tools and test equipment if you’d like to pm me some suggestions I can look around for what I need and procure it as I can afford.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

There is another thing you can do if you have a meter that can measure current. You just take out the fuse and set the meter to ac current put the red in the current connection and put the red on one side of the fuse holder and the black on the other. This way you can measure the current. Best is to use crocodile klamps. If you want I can do a setup and take a pic so you see what you need to do.

Or use something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Suraielec-Calculator-Protection-Electricity-Electrical/dp/B08GSPLZBN/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.38deba80-70f1-44b5-9ee5-a7944caadcc1%3Aamzn1.sym.38deba80-70f1-44b5-9ee5-a7944caadcc1&crid=VW67O32ZWHVD&cv_ct_cx=ac+power+meter+monitor&keywords=ac+power+meter+monitor&pd_rd_i=B08GSPLZBN&pd_rd_r=c77a00ab-e9bd-43db-8dbc-51adf69213fa&pd_rd_w=5iPGK&pd_rd_wg=YRVxN&pf_rd_p=38deba80-70f1-44b5-9ee5-a7944caadcc1&pf_rd_r=CM45S7F4NSEPKMPH1165&qid=1663696842&sprefix=ac+power+meter%2Caps%2C168&sr=1-2-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRVM2Sk5RUktaNzc5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTUwNTY3MldDN1BFQVkzMVlCWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTM4NTc3M0JHNVpDMDY5S0NXTiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

kissfan113

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

If you don’t mind to take the setup picture I probably have a meter here somewhere I can make those tests with.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up