ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Runing 2 mp-1's the same time  (Read 7619 times)

Chamai

Runing 2 mp-1's the same time
« on: Time Format »

Hi all, I am going to pick up a second ADA mp-1 as a back up soon!!

my setup now is: ADA MP-1---> Mosvalve power amp ---> cab

What i want is to use the chorus on my 2nd MP-1 and blend it with the Distortion on my first MP-1. In other words, I want to use my 2nd MP-1 as a chorus effect pedal in the loop. This gives me more flexibility in EQing the chorus. Or, can I connect my 2nd MP-1 infront of my 1st MP-1 so it can act as a boost pedal.

Setting up a patch with chorus and distortion really kills the distortion tone.

thanks guys!
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Runing 2 mp-1's the same time
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai,  :whoohoo!: another MP1  :thumb-up:
I think your issue may be because you are running mono ?? (my setup now is: ADA MP-1---> Mosvalve power amp ---> cab)

MP1 into MP1: 2nd MP1 into 1st MP1 is bad gain structure (and mono chorus from 2nd MP1), if your 2nd MP1 is a early version which has the Inst/line level switch on top, this could work but set to inst level only.  If you set it to line level it will overload the 1st MPs input stage (not good).  You could run 2nd MP1 in the 1st MP1 loop which can adjust for Inst/Line level but still mono chorus and you'd have to make a patch for 2nd MP1 with desired chorus but very clean with nothing else (unless you want other stuff as well (e.g. distortion)).
You don't need a boost pedal with MP1/2, make the desired patch, set it's master vol level to appropriate level and switch to desired patch, boost done...
I've never had an issue with the distortion tone being killed by the chorus, maybe something else is amiss ??  Can you post the patch details (what all the parameters are set to). In MP1 I used to turn chorus depth to 100 and rate to 0 to get a nice doubling fattening effect (BTW are you running in stereo ?? will make a big difference, these units are designed to run in stereo  >:D )
That said, the best way to do what you are thinking is with a mixer, use an Aux/FX send ist MP1 to 2nd MP1 and use it like a rack FX unit, again you'll need a patch that brings in just what you want (i.e. chorus) So 1st MP1 A/B into channel 1/2, Aux/FX send 1 to 2nd MP1 in (keep level very low) or better into loop return (if loop return is before chorus ??), 2nd MP1 A/B outs to channel 3/4, mixer (Stereo) to mosvalve to stereo cab or 2 cabs
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

thanks for the info. again, its a great to have guys like you on the forum

I wouldn't say it kills tone, to be honest, it actually sounds fine but having the chorus mixed in just changes the overall distortion tone. the reason why I want to use a 2nd mp1 for chorus is so I can eq the chorus separately. this just gives me more flexibility.

having both chorus and distortion in the same patch sounds good. but I just wanna see if I could make it better. im just the kinda guy that wants complete control with my guitar sound. I am a sucker for EQ's and stuff like that.  im stuck at work right now, but I will post some patches asap when I get home.

just want to make sure. I have the switches on top of the unit. the switch has 2 positions. center and top. center position is line level and if I want to switch to inst level, I flick it up right? on the up position, its a lot louder.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

yes, im running mono right now. I know I won't get the full effect. wife prob won't be happy if I brought 2 half stacks home.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

darthphineas

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Have you thought about running a chorus in the effects loop?  You could also throw an eq in there as well. Might address the concern.

Chamai

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Have you thought about running a chorus in the effects loop?  You could also throw an eq in there as well. Might address the concern.

yea thats what i am doing at the moment, but i really like that chorus in the ADA MP1.

Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Camai, have you tried some headphones from the headphone out, this will be stereo, have a listen tell me what you think, I recon you'll have all the chorus you need in stereo without having to run the 2nd MP1 in the loop.
My understanding of the MP1 signal flow (those who know correct me if I'm wrong) is the eq (is mono) comes before the chorus so your not eqing the chorus as such but the signal before it.  Better gain structure would be to take main MP1 loop out to 2nd MP1 loop return, 2nd MP1 A out to main MP1 loop return (but this would bypass 2nd MP1 gain and eq stage and still be suboptimal mono chorus).
IIRC the Inst/Line switch setting options are on the back of the unit (small picture), louder means line level BTW, this switch effects the MP1 A/B outputs, it was so you could run it into normal guitar amp inputs (Inst level (mili volts)), or power amps (line level (volts)).

Chamai

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

thanks for the info guys. i will try the head phones out

currently i am using the chorus on the gsp 21 pro in the MP-1's fx loop. it sounds amazing. lots of things to tweak with.

waiting for the wife to approve 2 marshall cabs so i could run stereo.

trying to find a good deal on a rack parametric eq. i have a mxr 10 band in the loop, but i think i could do better with a parametric. these things are expensive.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

My 2 cents worth, put you money into stereo, if you have a stereo power amp, you can run one Marshall cab in stereo, just needs some simple rewiring of the cab. If you're up for it, I'll take you through it, I've got one of my 2 x 12 ADA split stacks wired to be mono (8 ohm) or stereo (2 x 16 ohm) using 2 x jack sockets (so just take one for rehearsal). One of the 2 cab jack sockets needs to be the shorting type (tip wired to ground when no plug inserted). Let me know what poweramp and cab your using. Or does your cab have a stereo switch, later marshall cabs have a stereo/mono switch (which is a different way to do the same thing as I've done but they include some speaker protection I think).
Personally, I've never wanted additional eq MP1/2, but some here are into it.
There are 4 main types of eq units But they all boost and/or cut volume/gain around a centre frequecy:
Shelf what you find in most hifi etc cheap mixers, basically divides the signal into bass and treb with 3 db dip in the middle where the 2 bands cross over, slope is flat shelf, all frequencies affected equally. But you can have more bands, e.g. 3 way shelf, Treb Mid Bass or 4 way shelf Trb himid lowmid bass
Graphic eq various number of bands (each band has a centre frequency (sometimes called Q) and a slope (the amount freq each side of Q are affected), slope is preset in the design, circuit).  You can get 5 band to 64 band (i.e. 6th octave) graphics. Yours splits the frequency range int 10 bands and because it's an MXR they will be frequencies that relate well to guitar (as opposed to a PA graphic (mostly 32 band (3rd octave) designed to cover the whole freq range evenly).
Sweep eq lets you pick the centre freq that you boost or cut around, again slope set in circuit and are typically provided as the Mid band on low end mixers with Treb and Bass shelf
Parametric Lets you control 3 parameters, boost/cut, centre freq (Q) and slope (notch ^ affects narrow band around Q through broad, larger band around Q). It's unusual to see a parametric with more than 4 bands (Treb, HiMid, LowMid, Bass), but they are common on high end mixers and cost more...
All eqs sound different, I've heard flash ones that sound crap, and not so flash ones that sound good and everything in between (as a sound engineer I've bumped into many eq units)
Anyway hope that helps you understand if you even need one (IMHO you don't but each to there own  :thumb-up: )

Chamai

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

thanks for the write up again!

I am going to pick up 2 marshall cabs sometime this xmas.

I am currently rocking a 70's tagus 4x12 cab. its a lessor known brand made in Canada. I also have 4x10 marshall 1965b that I rock my jcm 900 with.

I need eq just because I really like to fine tune my sound. I really can't live without one. I made really slight adjustments though, nth more than 2db+/-. it really helps with my tone.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

holy sh!t

just now i plugged in 2 mismatched cabs (same ohms though) to my 962 mosvalve. wow.. its sound so full. never knew my rig will sound this good.

def getting 2 matching stacks during xmas.

what you guys running. im playing pure 80's hair metal. i do not want g12h75. the mids are way too scooped and muddy sounding. greenbacks or v30's are great. but not easy to come by used and especially a pair.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Sounds good....
Why not just convert your 4x12 to run in stereo for starters?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Sounds good....
Why not just convert your 4x12 to run in stereo for starters?
As I said, easy mod, not quite as good as 2 separate cabs as there is some phase cancellation/comb filtering in the box but still works great (and cheap to do, change one jack socket and re-solder  :thumb-up: ) (thought you'd like stereo  >:D , I'll never go back to mono) and I'm not surprised by your response (holy sh!t).
There's a mob here in Australia (Melbourne) thaty do green back re-issues (sort of).  It's the people who own the old Plessy Rola factory, a music store gave them a Greenback and asked for a run of them, apparently they are the closest you'll find (http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/auxpage_lorantz/).
Personally I have 2 x ADA Split stacks with Boogie specked 90w 12" 8 ohm Celetions and an (one) original ADA imported ADA split stack with Celetion 12s 75w 16 ohm.  I run this cab as I've described (8 ohms mono, 2 x 16 ohms stereo just using the 2 jack sockets (one jack shorting style)). I like them both although the Boogie Celestians are a bit middy for my taste.  I used to run my MP1 through a pair of Fender Twin speakers (so probably Eminance, they were nice as well).

Chamai

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

i have a 4x10 1965 and that only has 1 input in the back. I kinda wanna leave this cab in its original state. my other cab is an even older cab that I don't wanna touch and its very rare I believe.

wife is cool with me buying 2 cabs so im looking into them now. I would love some greenbacks or vintage 30 marshalls.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

gtmm

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Chami,

You should check out an AudioArts 4100A Parametric EQ (mono version). They pop up on ebay and Reverb fairly regularly. I've got one that I bought years ago and it lends itself to guitar real nicely. There is also the AudioArts 4200A for stereo though these are harder to come across.

Here's a link to one that sold last month on Reverb so you have an idea of what they look like and what it sold for:

https://reverb.com/item/141573-vintage-1980-s-audioarts-model-4100-parametric-equalizer-preamp

What is unique about them is that each band (four total) has a front panel 10x switch for center frequency and a front panel switch for in/out which allows you to remove the bands you're not using from the signal path.

It has both unbalanced preamp input (-10dBV) and balanced input (+4dBu). The output is balanced +4dBu on a TRS jack. There is an output gain section with a front panel knob for level control, and there is also a master bypass switch.

Additionally, the selection of Q, or bandwidth, of any of the four eq bands is in octaves, not a dimensionless ratio, which Q is in a bandpass/bandcut filter.

Check them out, if you're patient you can get one for $100 or so. I wouldn't pay more than $175 for one and that would only be if it had been re-capped very recently.
« Last Edit: Time Format by gtmm »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up