ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: went to meet the world famous MarshallJMP yesterday  (Read 9678 times)

El Chiguete

So Im in Belgium visiting friends and was able to go to Marshall's shop to meet him and test his gear. He is a really good guy and let me play with his guitars and explained me his setup and settings. We talked a few hours about tone settings and I showed him my main setting that I'm using now and explained to him the reasoning behind it, I think he was surprised on how it sounded jeje! Marshall did you test it out a bit more after I left? What did you think?

The best thing now is that I know that my ADA sounds ok and doesn't have more sound than it should, so I'm happy :)

Thanks Marshall for everything, I had a great day!  :metal:

Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Wow a lot of pics  :lol:

Well i also had a great time,it's the first time someone from across the ocean payed me a visit ha ha.

EC showed me some intersting settings,just need to try them out on my original mp-1.If you're looking for an 80's metal sound set the tone sections to B 2,M -8,T -2 to 2 and P also -2 to 2,you'll be amazed of the sound you will get,i know i did.The second secret was EC always uses the same OD2 (around 8.0 correct?) and only plays around with OD1.
Also need to try out the OD2 0.0  setting (dist tube) to get a clean tone.I must say i like it when someone experiments with some odd settings and comes up with new original sounds.This only shows how versatile an MP-1 can be,so good thinking EC!!!

I hope you enjoyed the beer?
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

El Chiguete

Jaja yeha my friend that was there took those without me knowing :)

Like I said to you my idea on having the OD2 set hight at 8 is to make OD1 and OD2 work like a tube amp (... hold on a bit and let me explain jeje):

The master volume knob on a normal tube amp goes between the preamp section and the power amp section so this means that  the power tube section is always working on at full output and the master volume knob controls how much of the signal actually makes it to the power tubes, so I look at OD1 as the preamp section and the OD2 as the poweramp section of a complete amp, this means that I first set the OD2 "thinking" of how much possible gain originals the amp that I'm trying to get close on its sound had (for example I showed you OD2 at 8 but that is because I was trying to get that hard driven JCM800s tone but if I wanted a Zeppelin crunch I would maybe put the OD2 at 4, this is because the amps they had back then had a lot less available gain in its design!) and then I set OD1 "thinking" how hard they would push the preamp section of the amp. Normally for rhythms OD1 at 4 and for lead OD1 at 6. So this all means is that having OD1 very low and OD2 very high its like turning the gain way down on a screaming loud non master volume amp to get a slight clean but with breakup tone instead of having the OD1 high and turning the OD2 low. this would be like trying to overdrive a bit a clean amp that is design not to have much distortion/gain... BTW depending on what you want to do both approaches should be used!

Tomorrow I get to my home and the first thing I will do is to check my clean settings and post them with OD2 at 0 for both Clean Tube and Dist Tube. on the Clean Tube I got some that will take you from a Fender warm a fat tone to sparkly clean and on the Dist Tube I really got a Marshall Bluesbraker clean but we could't recreate it on your 3TModded MP-1... just too much gain on the Dist Tube channel to ever get it clean BUT on a normal MP-1 those "Marshall" clean tones are there to be used too on the Dist Tube channel. I believe that you just can't get that "Marshall" clean tone using the Clean Tube channel because it is design to have q broader frequency band (aka a "Fender" tone stack) than the Dist Tube channel with it's mid boost frequencies (aka "Marshall" tone stack).

Hope all this crazy talk actually makes sense! jeje  :crazy: :banana-upsidedown:

PS:
I'm saving the beer for back home, you said to keep it really cold before drinking it correct?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

DaveM

That must've been a great afternoon.  Maybe one day we could schedule an "ADA European Summit".  I live in central Germany

Dave
HEADS: Mesa Boogie Mark-IVa, Egnater TOL-50
RACK: ADA MP2, Peavey Classic 60/60
PEDALBOARD: Line6 M13, MXR Carbon Copy, Fulltone FD-2 MOSFET, "Slash" WAH, Morley Lil Alligator, Digitech Jamman
CABS: Avatar and Genz-Benz
GUITARS: Ibanez, Fender & Schecter
WIRELESS: Line 6 G50
STUDIO: Cubase 6.5, Focusrite interface, M-Audio MCU-PRO DAW controller, Novation Impulse controller, KRK monitors, AKG phones, reamping courtesy of Radial

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El, love the pics, as I've said before F$$k MJMP you've got a nice collection... options coming out you ears... :thumb-up:
I get where your coming from BTW, and IMHO good gain structure (your thinking makes sense to me).

So drinking the beer really cold isn't just an Australian thing  >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

The beer has to be 3°C.

Maybe we could do a ADA summit next year?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Sounds like the right Temp for beer  :thumb-up: , I'll start saving for the trip... :wave:
Here's a "thought bubble", could the switching issue in the MP2 (long settle times, you've replaced switching circuit devices etc) be associated with the power supply frequency ? Typically things divide a "source" to get their timings....
Anyway just a thought  :dunno:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

power supply frequency ?

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic

The beer has to be 3°C.

Maybe we could do a ADA summit next year?
I´m still game  8)
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

shreddingjoris

Cool!
Marshalljmp is a great guy, hè sure has some awesome gear!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

power supply frequency ?
As I said it was a "thought bubble" probably crap  :crazy: (the wine was nice though  :thumb-up: )... but I wondered what influence the power supply freq may or may not have on a circuit (particularly digital/based on clock pulse ???).

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks

Love the Saxon tee.  :banana-rock:

Where's my SL-1 I sold you?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Still have the SL-1 but it needs a new trussrod,so it's at the luthier.

Saxon RULES,like all the old NWOBHM bands.

El Chiguete

Hey Marshall have you played around with the settings I gave you? What did you think? How did them sound with the band?

Also use that same settings with the OD2 set at 0.0 for both the Tube Clean and the Tube Dist and just play around with the OD1 values to set the clean Tube Clean ¨Fender clean tone¨ or Tube Dist ¨Marshall clean tone¨.

PS:
NWOBHM bands tone is what I'm going for with this!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

darralld

MJMP has always answered my emails. Seems like a great guy for sure. Sure has a nice set up & some awesome equipment! It would be hard to leave once he let me in...LOL
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up