ADA Depot Too - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC-1 LED Display Replacement  (Read 266 times)

SmurphNet

MC-1 LED Display Replacement
« on: Time Format »

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions for replacing the LED display on my MC-1?  It had an issue where some of the segments were not working, so I opened it up and took a look.  It appears that the tiny LEDs that are integrated into the board have actually broken off and were lost.  Not sure if there are replacement boards available or some sort of equivalent LED display that can be retrofitted.  I am pretty good with soldering and making modifications if there is another LED display that can be used.  It looks like the stock board may be some kind of proprietary design.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Steve

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MC-1 LED Display Replacement
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, welcome to the depot  :wave: .  I don't know if you can get a replacement display (MJMP)??.  I'm sure some members have MC-1s they have replaced with something else, if you really like/want the MC-1 they may part with their old one.  A friend of mine has one and doesn't need it.  Although shipping costs are your enemy.
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

SmurphNet

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I was just looking to repair it for nostalgia reasons more than anything.  I've had it since 1990 when I got my MP-1.  I would probably just get a MIDI Mouse or something similar.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

No worries.
@MJMP, can you help him out with a MC-1 display ?
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Well these are actually displays that are used in clocks but I haven't been able to find these. Although you might get lucky by looking in a clock if you have one lying around. Now are you really sure the display itself is broken? Usually it's the grey flatcable that is broken or gives a bad contact on either the display or pcb side. Which segments are missing?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, if I'm not mistaken it's for his midi pedal (MC-1).  Does it use the same display as the MP1? I thought it was smaller.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Yes it's the same type of display as the MP-1.

SmurphNet

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hi MJMP...It is definitely the display board.  I removed the flat ribbon cables and used a 9V battery to test the segments and there are several that are out.  I split apart the display from the circuit board and found that a few of the embedded LEDs were broken off.  They are very small and it doesn't take much to knock them off the board.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Well I did make a replacement board a long time ago for someone for an MP-1. I just used a perfboard and some regular 7 segment led displays, wired it up and it worked fine. But it's a bit of work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up