ADA Depot Too - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Board added for "Routing & Patching" in Lets Get Technical

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAD!! Peavey Classic 20w Mini Head  (Read 931 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
NAD!! Peavey Classic 20w Mini Head
« on: Time Format »

My new favorite amp.

This thing sounds pissed...as in angry, not drunk. Like what your Fender DeVille would sound like if you could get it above 3 without killing birds nearby. The chicken-knob EQ section is surprisingly useful, as in, the freqs sweep very wide, allowing you to dial in a big variation of tones. This thing will go all the way to Metal and clean up like a Fender twin. Very chimey, especially with single coils. Very bottomy and low without going wooly..tight and responsive.

I used the parametric EQ in my G system to dial in a Classic Rock tone and a Modern Rock tone. I have a Metal EQ setting that I only use for a couple songs. It may seem like I'm limited - with only one gain level for all three 'voices' - but, I can clean it up by picking softer and get the grit by banging the strings. It's a spongy feeling tube amp (EL84s I think).

I've been practicing at home with it switched to 1 WATT  ???  and it'll keep up at band practice at 5 Watts. I guess I'll use the 20w setting for gigs, but I may not need to, I think the 5w is plenty loud enough for stage volume (I'm mic'ing my cab). Here are a couple pics for posterity, one with flash to show what's going on in the 1x12 speaker cab. The pic on the 4x12 is to give you an idea of the scale of this tiny little thing I call a Pee Wee Classic.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
ADA Gear: MP-1 Classic | MP-2 | Viper Combo | MicroTube 200 | MicroFet | MXC w/Quad Switch

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: NAD!! Peavey Classic 20w Mini Head
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Nice one Dante  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: NAD!! Peavey Classic 20w Mini Head
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Just a quick follow up review; this amp still kicks arse!

I've gigged with it a few times now, used the 20w setting every time. I didn't have it maxed out, more about 3/4...which is nice. The boost on my G-system is more than enough for my solos (I think it's set at 5 or 6 db). Rolling back the guitar's volume knob is really nice - totally get another tone out of that. By far, the most useful amp in that respect.

I've been running my gain a bit higher than before, to get a pseudo fuzz sound vs. my typical super OD sound. The amp just begs for it, it wants to solo all the time :) and I find my solos more enjoyable with the tones...so I embellish more, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Whatever

This is a sweet little amp, just add good effects (I haven't used the amp's reverb at all). If you have a chance, nab one. They're pretty affordable if you're in the market for a little head (did I say that?)
ADA Gear: MP-1 Classic | MP-2 | Viper Combo | MicroTube 200 | MicroFet | MXC w/Quad Switch
Pages: [1]   Go Up