ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new rig includes an ADA MP1 and I need your help  (Read 22134 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

If they are parametric like the G Major (so probably are) you get 3 variable parameters per eq band being boost/cut, centre frequency and width/shape of the eq curve.  So I'd guess there will be at least 4 bands (to cover from 20hz to 20khz) each completely adjustable within the eq bands frequency range.  The width/shape variable adjusts from notch (affects centre frequency and not much either side (good for surgically removing a problem frequency)) to wide (affects more frequencies either side of the centre freq depending on the width).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Truth is I was fooling around for quite a while yesterday with the G-Force filters after your post, but didn't get any good results.
I ended up having a better sound with the eq off.

I do not have past experience with eqing in order to know where to put my hands on and know what to expect.
I aim at smoothing out the "hiss" of high frequencies and tightening the bass a bit.

Is the above sth an eq can do for me?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Eq settings can be a bit of an art form, also my approach to eqs is very much influenced by being an audio engineer (studio & live).  I've always found the eq in the MP1 and MP2 quite fine for the job but if you want to use additional eq:
Hiss tends to be around 8khz to 10khz ish (but I've never had a hiss problem with either MP1 or MP2), remember presence boost is ~6khz so will add to the "hiss" area but also make the sound prominent (stand out/cut through) as between 1khz to 5 or 6 khz is the most sensitive part of our hearing.  If you are getting hiss, my guess is the gain structure isn't optimal as noise is getting boosted (hiss) and not enough signal. To tighten the bass I'd recommend lowering the low mids a bit ~160hz, 320hz but this can be done on the MP1/2 by lowering the mids a bit (-4ish), add a bit of bass  2 to  4 ish, Tad of treb ( 4 ish) bit of pres ( 6 ish), OD1 higher or the same as OD2...

Another thing you might consider is where in the TCs routing chain you place its eq, to use the eq as I think you are trying for you'd route it so the eq is first and in serial so the guitar signal feeds the eq and then the eq output feeds the rest of the (time based) effects (delay, reverb etc) in the TC.

A way to play with parametric eqs is set the band (eg HIs) to either full cut or full boost (while listening), sweep the centre frequency up/down (and hear what it's affecting), get that selected centre freq boosting/cutting so it  sounds goodish, change the band width/slope to widen/narrow the affected area.

On a guitar tuned to A = 440 hz, bottom E is 82hz, A 440hz is the A on the 5th fret of the top (high) E, so understanding the frequency range can help with eq decisions.  Hope this helps Cheers Richard

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Thank you very much Richard!
Will definitely give it another try following all below!

RandallRG

Very good "E.Q." post/info there Rich. Hope all is well Mate!  :metal:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Thanks Steve, hope it helps. Been learning (remembering  ;) ) Monkey Wrench and Teenage Dirt bag with the new band I've started with a couple of good mates, Bass player has only been playing for 6 months so he's struggling with Monkey Wrench, wait till I get him playing Highway Star and Burn...or maybe even resurrect You Fool No one (9th vox harmonies)  :thumb-up:

Zsoli

My rig:

Gibson SG Standard -> ADA MP1 -> H&K RedBox MKIII speaker simulator -> BOSS SE50 stereo effects processor -> PC

http://youtu.be/tHaNsN_GcFQ
« Last Edit: Time Format by Zsoli »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

My rig:

Gibson SG Standard -> ADA MP1 -> H&K RedBox MKIII speaker simulator -> BOSS SE50 stereo effects processor -> PC

WAUW that was good,nice playing really nice sound,me like  :thumb-up:

RandallRG

My rig:

WAUW that was good,nice playing really nice sound,me like  :thumb-up:
X2! Very cool & the Fire Effect was Awesome!! Hey Marshall....Hope all is well Buddy! :metal:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up