ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down

Author Topic: dealing with GAS  (Read 106459 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: dealing with GAS
« Reply #285 on: Time Format »

Hey Zilthy

You say "If my 2FX I have were MIDI capable" what do you mean, just to get it to switch with midi? or do you want more?

Just switching would be all I need.  Obviously, being able to change delay time and level between rhythm and solos would be great, but also not very realistic.

Well I was already thinking of making something so you can use midi to switch it.

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #286 on: Time Format »

Hey Zilthy

You say "If my 2FX I have were MIDI capable" what do you mean, just to get it to switch with midi? or do you want more?

Just switching would be all I need.  Obviously, being able to change delay time and level between rhythm and solos would be great, but also not very realistic.

Well I was already thinking of making something so you can use midi to switch it.

Cool.  Are you thinking of an external controller and using it's normal controller line, or something more onboard?  You've got me thinking, I wonder if something could be prototyped using a Raspberry PI.   It would be helpful to know what the actual controller is actually doing.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #287 on: Time Format »

I was thinking of a external controller, power supplied by the 2fx. A pi would be overkill for this, I was thinking of a 8 bit PIC controller and making a small pcb.
The 2FX is voltage controlled. Also I was thinking that it would be great if I could find a way to make the 2FX stereo.

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #288 on: Time Format »

Just picked up Jon Levin's Marshall from a buddy of mine who wasn't using it.  He's letting me borrow it for an indefinite period of time.  Vintage JCM800 with an extra gain stage, a fat switch, and one other mod that I don't recall.  Slaved my MP1 to the front end and, honestly, my Valvestate does a bang-up job in comparison to emulating a real Marshall power section.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #289 on: Time Format »

So.... I've been playing the last couple of months, still rotating gear around, mostly happy with setup.   But, I've been thinking "I really do miss a 4x12"

And my 2x12 is a good 2x12 (Mesa Boogie Recto Vertical) currently with Greenbacks in, but still have the V30s for it.  But, it's not a 4x12.

And I keep thinking about that EVH 4x12 that has the G12EVH speakers (Basically heritage greenbacks).  And I remind myself, there is no way I will fit that cab in my car (a Beetle).

Well, I held out for a couple of months.  I ordered the cab the other night.  It will be here tomorrow.  I went in the following morning and bought a van.  To haul the amp.  To rehearsals and gigs.  That I might or might not ever play.  Or even know if I want to join a band again.

But, I now have a 4x12.  And can haul it!

EDIT:  In fairness, the vehicle switch is also saving me almost $200 / month between payments and insurance.  So, there is that, but I find it amusing I can trace that decision back to GAS.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Zilthy »

vansinn

« Reply #290 on: Time Format »

Powerful currency is..

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #291 on: Time Format »

So I got me one of these to provide me with a very small noise reduction solution.  Even smaller than my half rack boss NS-50.

http://www.rocktron.com/guitar-silencer.html

I heard these were a forgotten/hidden gem in the world of noise reduction, and I have to say, I've very impressed so far.  Anyone ever tried one?  I like it a lot, it's very transparent.  I've never used a noise gate that actually lets you able to play with the threshold up max!  Of course using proper settings I only need it up about a 3rd of the way. 

Here is a question for you all:

When I was using the NS-50 I had my guitar going through the guitar In,  then the guitar out would go into the Boss GX700 input.  Then the GX700 send would go to my rockmaster input.  Rockmaster output Would go to the GX700 return, then the GX700 left and right outputs would go to the amp.

In your opinions, would I have encountered some loss of tone using it this way?

I found it sounded better taking the NS-50 out all together and using the GX700 noise reduction instead.  I seemed to get a bit more body to the sound.  Would this be because of how I had it setup?  Or because the NS-50 doesn't like being put through an FX processor input and then a preamp and would prefer to just go right to the preamp??  Just curious as it looks like I'm taking the ns-50 out.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #292 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, looks like a nice unit  :thumb-up: .  IIRC lots of others here use the rack version. Everything you go through will change the sound a bit and also add noise.  The better units are typically more transparent and less noisy than others.  Hence the whole true bypass thing which means your signal is passed straight through without any influence from the unit.  Where to put the Hush depends where the majority of the noise comes from.  eg if you are using lots of gain in the Rock Master you could wrap the hush around it ie GX700 send > hush in > hush send > Rock Master in > Rock Master out > hush return > hush out > GX700 return.  This will quieten the Rock Master.  The hush pedal seems designed to be "wrapped" around something noisy eg distortion pedal (which is basically what you are using the Rock Master for).  If the majority of your tone/distortion comes from the Rock Master and you basically use the GX700 for FX and to go stereo then you may get a better result by wrapping the hush around the Rock Master and following it with the GX700 ie Guit > Hush in > Hush send > Rock Master in > Rock Master out > Hush return > Hush out > GX700 in > GX700 out > amp > cabs. This should be better gain structure but depends what you need from the GX700, if it's just FX then this is the way I'd do it.  MJMP (and others) use NR at the input and then again on the output, IIRC his unit has 2 independent NR circuits.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #293 on: Time Format »

Hi Richard,

The roctron isn't what's making the noise.  The rocktron is the noise gate.  This model is called the silencer.

There is a Silencer rack version as well but doesn't seem to be anywhere near as common as the pedal.  I do understand how to use the device, noisy items get placed in the Rocktrons loop. 

What I was asking was would the way I hooked up my old noise reduction/gate unit have may be contributed to loss of tone?

So I run the gx700 in 4 cable mode I guess.

But incorporated into this I used an external noise gate called the Boss NS-50.  The NS-50 works by plugging the guitar straight in, then it has an output (basically exactly the same as the IPS33).  So I would send the guitar out of the ns-50 to the input of the GX700 (which means I could still use the compressor or wah effects if I ever wanted) and then the GX700 send to my Peavy Rockmaster.  The rockmaster output would then run into the NS-50 input.  Then the NS-50 output would run back into the GX700 return.

So I was just wondering would this have affected the sound much?

Technically I will be using the Silencer in the exact same way.

The guitar needs to go through the pedal first for it to read the signal to understand when to open and close the gate.  Basically follows the signal.  I have heard of this method referred to as "the key" on compressors and rack noise gates.  To act as a trigger if you will.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #294 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, sorry, replace all "roctron" with Peavy Rockmaster (my bad  :facepalm: ) is what I meant (post edited).  I also didn't realise (until now) the NS-50 is stereo (2 ch). So they way you have it is mixing up gains a bit ie inst level on NS-50 ch1 > GX700 in inst level, RM out line level to NS-50 ch2 in and ch2 out (line level ?) to GX700 return,  So NS-50 is running inst level on ch1 and line level on ch2. Try removing  either (or both) NS-50 ch's from the set up and see if it changes the tone  :dunno: .
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #295 on: Time Format »

In my experience, every Rocktron thing I've owned has always been really great stuff.  The only reason I don't still have the Hush Super C rack unit is because I went through a "downsizing" period years ago and basically swapped the Hush and the MP-1 for an MP-2 since the MP-2 has a Gate built into it.  Anyway......

Finally got V30s in my 4x12 "MegaCab" and feeling really good about that.  All the other speakers I've been putting in there have been OK, but always that little nagging voice in my head saying "I want V30s dammit"  lol   
MegaCab is a beast.  I have it wired in a way that allows a bit more versatility than the Standard Issue stereo wiring config; it actually has 3 jacks instead of 2.  The top two speakers are wired separate from the bottom two (like stereo tipped over on its side) and then those top two are wired in stereo themselves.  A switching jack lets me choose between a "stereo" top or "mono" top, depending on if I plug one cable in or two.  It's confusing in text, but I have a stereo poweramp and another mono poweramp  that run simultaneously.  I'd much prefer to send the mono mellotron/organ signal to it's own 4x12 (like we do at practice/rehearsals) and the stereo guitar signals to MegaCab, but some venues is overkill for me to run two 4x12 cabs.  It is weird to have to run three speaker cables to either just the one custom cab or to two cabs and the fact that my poweramp (Peavey Classic 60/60) is a stereo one and not mono is the problem.  :crazy:

So now I want a different poweramp.   :facepalm:   Plenty of choices there, only limited by the money I (don't) have to spend.  :lol:   I'm clearly at my spending cap and I really cannot spend any more money on gear for the band unless I shift things to do so.   :-\

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #296 on: Time Format »

Just scored a Digitech TSR-24!!  Been eyeing up for a while.  Hopefully lives up to what SC kinda suggested about the unit.

Rusty

« Reply #297 on: Time Format »

Yea stil at it fellows

Not mine YET ! but nice !

Chris5150

« Reply #298 on: Time Format »

Hi all,

Figured I would join in the conversation. The MP1 has caused my GAS, fortunately. I ended up buying 3 of them, a VHT 2/50/2, 2 EVH 4x12s, a pitchfactor and timefactor from Eventide for a little detune and delay for stereo, 2 Rane PE15s and a MPE14. I'm stoked because ADA is back making products and I got a GCS-5 as well for recording. It's all awesome and I love my tone. These MP1's are what I've been looking for my whole life, I grew up in the era rack gear wasn't being talked about anymore, and didn't even know these existed until 6 months ago. Getting back into playing after some time off with this rig has been great, totally re invigorated my playing and has made me excited again.

It even got me into soldering, I did a cap job on one of my MP1s and it actually went well! Once shipping restrictions are lifted I plan on purchasing some stuff from MJMP like the upgraded transformer and perhaps a tube board. I just love these things so much that I almost can't imagine the tone getting any better, but am very curious because of the excellent reviews I have seen here.

Just being in stereo is awesome, and playing those Skid Row riffs through this thing is nuts. If I close my eyes I can pretend I'm Scotti Hill! It does the modern metalcore thing pretty good too. I boost it with a SD-1 and a Boss EQ for my band and I am extremely pumped on my tone. Anyways, glad to talk to some fellow ADA fans!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #299 on: Time Format »

Hey Chris5150, welcome to the depot  :thumb-up: :wave: .  Glad to hear it's going well for you, sounds like a killer rig you are building there  :whoohoo!: .
As you no doubt will read in other posts, the MDRT opens up the units dynamics quite a bit, it's good you have a few MP1s so you can have the best of both worlds, some like the creaminess of the original trany.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up