ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Story time: Brand Name Snobbery  (Read 28963 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Story time: Brand Name Snobbery
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

lol Richard it wasn't you  :lol:

My most Expensive guitar is a Westone Dimension Iv.  Now I do not know how much this guitar cost back in 1985, but I know now that it's arounf £400-500 if found in good condition because they are hard to find in good nick.

I'd love it if I knew someone who could repair cracks in paint work.  My Dimension Iv despite being in great condition has a few blemishes.

Another guitar that I bought which was about £450 was my mexican fat strat with FR trem.  Funnily enough I haven't played that guitar in a long time.

The guitars I play most are the cheaper ones some of which retailed new at about £200-£250.  Buy I bought them second hand for like £80-£110 somewhere in that range!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

The guitars I play most are the cheaper ones some of which retailed new at about £200-£250.  Buy I bought them second hand for like £80-£110 somewhere in that range!

I serviced a VIG Screech guitar of a friend, some months ago...
It's a cheap copy of an ESP KH-II...
Well...it's cheap, ok....but it's a very good, solid and reliable guitar.
He payed something like 200 euro for that guitar (new and shipped)...put there a couple of EMG pickup and EMG electronics...and it's almost perfect.
I just would mount a better FR bridge there....

Look at this one:

http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_vgs-vig-select-screech-spalted-maple-natural-spedizione-inclusa_id1522166.html
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

+1 on Fujigen guitars, those are my pricey ones, I have 4-5 of them. All Ibanez.

I also share RGs sentiment on Squires and Korean models. Just upgrade some bits and you have a very nice guitar. My Vee is an Epiphone Korina model that I have gutted (upgraded all electronics, PUs & the nut). That thing sings like my real Korina Explorer for a fraction of the cost, and I don't worry about it walking away at a gig. I don't take the Explorer out of the house much. It has too much sentimental value and it's my only Gibby

Here's a quick rundown of some of the prices I've paid:

Epiphone Korina V = $350 w/hardshell case
Ibanez SAS36FM = $150 (this is my Strat, a set-neck Korean model with an unknown HOT pu in the bridge, HSS config.)
Ibanez AS83 = $400 (came with SD Jazz/JB setup and has 'that tone' by which all others are compared, and it's Chinese!)
Ibanez AR200 Gold Top = $350 w/hardshell case (I've done every upgrade I can to this one, it's also Korean)

Some people get bent outta shape about cheap construction, like scarf joints. I don't see why, that damn thing is still made of WOOD

UPDATE: here are some pix of the aforementioned guitars, because
 :postpics:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Iperfungus

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Some people get bent outta shape about cheap construction, like scarf joints. I don't see why, that damn thing is still made of WOOD

If properly glued, a scarf neck joint is solid rock.
And a one piece neck-headstock can easily break as well, if the guitar falls down in the worst way.

Furthermore, a scarf joint could be more reliable...due to its flexibility Vs. rigidity of a one piece neck.

I remember an old Jackson Soloist a friend o' mine owned (before Fender era) and it had a scarf headstock joint...
It was an expensive and solid guitar and Grover Jackson is a guy who definitely knows how to build a solid guitar.

If 1+1 = 2...  :banana-upsidedown:
On the run again!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

BTW I got that Westone Dimension IV from America, so I PAID a hefty import tax on that thing.  That's how much I wanted it.  I got the original case and whammy bar also which made it more of  find.

Talking about the Chinese made stuff............looks like Big Donald T is hoping bring an end to the cheap exported goods from far east.  You guy's in the States need to buy up the cheapo guitars quick before he shuts it all down and builds that wall he keep talking about.  :o

Sorry if I broke any rules on politics  ;D

Actually on a serious note, that might screw a lot of US guitar companies who use cheap foreign labour to have stuff manufactured, Fender and nearly everyone has something going out there in the far east.  Even Celestion (yes their british but you know what I mean) has some models made there now including the Vintage 30s's.

I'll post some photos guys  :thumb-up:  so long as I aint banned from mentioning Donald, no offence meant buy it.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I'll post some photos guys  :thumb-up:  so long as I aint banned from mentioning Donald, no offence meant buy it.

No worries bro, just don't start any political fights and we're all good  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

No, no fights, of course my man.  Just curious as to how imports from the East will be affected going into America?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

I'm curious about lots of things that may change, like if I have medical insurance anymore. Whoops....there I go with a political comment  :facepalm:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

... Just curious as to how imports [...] will be affected ...

What´s more interesting is how imports/exports are now affected due to the CITES II regulations in force affective Jan 2017 which concerns all musical instruments that contain rosewood (all types).
I been following NAMM on YT and that was one of the core topics omnipresent...

Back On-Topic:
I guess we have to distinguish between Brand-Snobbery and Tone-Snobbery....
I´m personally also more on the practical side of things. If it sounds and feels good to me I don´t give flying %$§& what brand is stamped on there.
I´ve come back as of recently to Ibanez mainly because it feels best to me when playing... I don´t care too much about their actual offerings (Prestige, J-Custom,....), the "golden MIJ years" ('87-2002) are the ones I´m after.
These can be found for little coin (see my latest 3 NGD threads).
I also have an Indo-made that´s not bad at all as well as a Korean Cort (see my "Pimp my Cheapo" thread).
The most expensive guitars I ever bought were an ESP Skulls & Snakes (bought in the ESP Custom shop for 4.800 Deutsch Marks in the early 90s) and a Fender Richie Sambora Signature Strat (HSS Floyd Model) for 3.200 Deutsch Marks.
These are both long gone but I hunted down an RG550Ltd that I had around the same time...get the point?!

I am a Brand Snob to a certain extent in terms of Pickups...but that's only because I´ve the specific tonal characteristics I´m looking for (which are an integral part of 'my tone') in DiMarzio pups...it´s something about the whole EQing and tonal curve and feel...hard to explain.
But like RG and his Super Ds it´s a non-negotiable component.

With all the resources in aftermarket replacement parts and NOS stuff, you can mod almost any cheapo to awesome end-result-specs.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Well Dante, that is a lot more important I guess than guitars coming in to US from abroad.  I hope things work out over there.

SC raises some interesting points also.

And yes back to the topic.  I have no real issue with more expensive guitars and expensive equipment, I don't really have reverse snobbery.  I just wouldn't spend £1000 on a guitar when I could get a great guitar for a quarter of the price.  Also I love modifying a guitar, making it my own.

But I have experienced those people who look down their noses (the snobs) at say my cheapo Squiers.  They're out there.  The fact I never come across anyone else with guitars as cheap as mine when playing gigs kind of says a lot to me though.  Some people just can't ignore the brand/expense status, even if they know themselves you can get a good instrument for less, it's a fear of what others will think type thing I guess.

I like that no one else uses the same axes as me though, sets me apart.  People always come up to me and go "nice guitar man, what is it?"  Then their like "Squier.......................jeeeez man I would neve rhave known".

Have to laugh at that  :lol:

Now I dunno if my axes sound good in general but I like them so this is the important thing I guess.

Iperfungus

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I'm in the same mood, guys.

I play guitar since 33-34 years now and I owned 3 expensive guitars in all this time: a Custom Shop Les Paul '54 Ri that's gone for a Masterbuilt Strat that's gone for my 1987 Custom PRS (I still own it and I will for very long time, I hope...).
Then I owned and own other instruments, some of them are cheap...but with a good setup and some customization, they can be great guitars.
Chinese Squiers or Indonesian Ibbys are a very good base to start from, no doubts.

I bought for a few money a '90s MIJ Squier Strat neck and a MIJ Strat body with dings and marks.
Both they have aged in a nice way.
I'm using that stuff to assemble a customized HSS Strat...and I already know it will be a great guitar: I feel it from the neck and body.
Look attached picture...

I remember, some years ago when I owned my beloved MIJ Les Pauls, a lot of people spending a lot of money to buy Historic Les Pauls and then changing everything there but the wood or doing very expensive refins and makeovers.
I was just telling them "Hey guys, consider some MIJ Les Pauls to do some jobs..."....I let you imagine comments by yourself.
After some years and after I left those places since a while, that people had sold their expensive Les Pauls....and came to...Greco MIJ guitars.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Squire Strat (initially $180 AUD) worth a bit more now though LoL
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Very nice Strat, Rich!  :thumb-up:

Hey....did I see 3 MP-2s and a TC M-One on background???  :banana-trip:
On the run again!

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Korean Cort G250FT HSS Strat...70€ off eBay.
Already came with a Wilkinson VS100 Trem.
Upgraded the Pups with DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF bridge and Injector Middle/Neck pups and a GraphTech Tusq Nut.
One serious player now....

Iperfungus

« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: :whoohoo!: :whoohoo!:
On the run again!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up