ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally got the rack up and running today.  (Read 5141 times)

WAR_in_D

Well, after a busy holiday season I was able to do a little work on the MP2 and get the rack up and running.  Upgraded the eprom in the MP2 to version 1.41 and put in the new Mullard long plates that came so highly recommended by rnolan.  Slapped everything into the rack case, and fired her up.  Sounded pretty darn good, but I think nearly every piece of gear I have needs to have the pots cleaned.  They've been sitting for years unused, so I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that they are a little scratchy. LOL

Here is the rack rundown (for now, but more on that in a bit): 

Furman Power Conditioner
ADA MP2
Newmark dual 15 band EQ
Alesis Quadraverb II
BBE Sonic Maximizer 462
Randall MTS RT 2/50 Power Amp

Everything running in stereo top to bottom.

While fiddlin' with it a bit today, I noticed that the EQ was pretty much set flat and I found the BBE (to my ear) to sound a bit harsh.  So, I'm thinking that "less is more" and I'm gonna remove the EQ and BBE from the signal chain and see how that sounds.  The BBE is gone for sure, but I'm wondering if I'll lose a bit taking out the EQ even though it was flat. I have to think that it's probably boosting or coloring the tone regardless, but I guess I'll see.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: Finally got the rack up and running today.
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Congrats on getting your rack going.  As for the scratchy pots I used Deoxit D5. Works awesome no more scratchyness or volume drop out. :metal:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Had another thought, how do you have the eq and BBE in your signal chain? I run mine last in the fx loop the eq is always on and the BBE depends on the patch.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Very nice  :whoohoo!: :thumb-up: , welcome to MP2 heaven. What midi pedal do you have (MXC with CC pedal and Quad switch ?, this was the standard setup, I assign the pedal to MP2 master vol, it's a little buried in the menu structure though LOL) but really useful.
IMHO, less is more, ditch the eq and BBE, the eq will add noise (as every component does) and you have 9 band graphic in MP2. I'd run the QV in MP2 loop and I recon that will melt you.  BTW have you noticed yet how the Mullards articulate every little nuance of you right and left hand ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

WAR_in_D

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Very nice  :whoohoo!: :thumb-up: , welcome to MP2 heaven. What midi pedal do you have (MXC with CC pedal and Quad switch ?, this was the standard setup, I assign the pedal to MP2 master vol, it's a little buried in the menu structure though LOL) but really useful.
IMHO, less is more, ditch the eq and BBE, the eq will add noise (as every component does) and you have 9 band graphic in MP2. I'd run the QV in MP2 loop and I recon that will melt you.  BTW have you noticed yet how the Mullards articulate every little nuance of you right and left hand ?

Soloist, appreciate the feedback on the BBE thru the effects loop.

rnolan:

Yes.. When I purchased this MP2, it came with the MXC, Quad switch and the ADA expression pedal.  Although, I have to admit that I'm pretty much a midi idiot..  A Midiot if you will. LOL  Most of my musical dealings have been guitar->cord->amp> and to the ears.  I did some playing around with pedals, or multi effects units in the past and ran them through the effects loop of whatever amp I was playing at the time but I never really got into all the "technology" of it.

When I had my first MP2, I never had any of the midi switches for it.  I just played at the house and would add in the Quadraverb when I wanted it, etc..  I'd like to get familiarized with the whole Midi setup with this though, now that I have the switches for it. 

On a side note, and with it being said... It never occurred to me to run the QV in the effects loop of the MP2..  I took the EQ and BBE out of mix, ran the QV through the effects loop of the MP2 and right to the power amp...  Oh my!  :metal:   That's how it will be staying.

And yes, the Mullards are for lack of a better word..  Very lush sounding, but tight and have great definition.  Glad you talked me into them.  :bow:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

On a side note, and with it being said... It never occurred to me to run the QV in the effects loop of the MP2..  I took the EQ and BBE out of mix, ran the QV through the effects loop of the MP2 and right to the power amp...  Oh my!  :metal:   That's how it will be staying.

Cool  :thumb-up: much better way to run (as your ears attest to). Glad you like the tubes, they bowled me over when I first got them.
We can talk you through the midi as you go, take it slow, it can do your head in as it's so flexible for various switching/control options but you can keep it simple to good affect. Have a slow read of the tail end of the manual re midi and midi continuous control (CC). I assign my MXC vol pedal to the MP2 master vol (which is midi only) so I can change the vol and also quickly mute at end of song. The quad switch I haven't changed from factory, it turns various things on and off in the MP2 (loop, tremolo etc), I hardly ever use it. But you can also assign the various buttons to change the QV settings...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up