ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: midi foot switch  (Read 10436 times)

Metropolis

midi foot switch
« on: Time Format »

I have a berhringer FCB1000 midi foot controller and was hoping to be able to control both the MP1 and the Intellifex simultaniously.  Currently the FCB speaks well with the Intellifex,   changing patches with the 10 footswitches.  Switches 1-10 correspond with the first 10 presets on the Intellifex.   I would like to arrange the first 10 patches of the MP1 in an order that would allow me to use the FCB to select patch 1 (MP1)/ patch1 (Intellifex)     patch 2 (MP1)/ patch2 (Intellifex)   etc.  Is this possible?  I really am totally in the dark with midi.
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: midi foot switch
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Now you opening Pandora's box LOL. MikeB has the same pedal IIRC and has it pretty well worked out with his MP1 and TC GMaj so can talk to this better than me.

However, simple answer is yes it's possible and there are quite a few ways you can do what you want.
First keep in mind that there is often a miss match in midi program numbers because MP1 goes from 1 to 128 and most FX units go from 0 to 127. Eg MP1 Patch 01 = QV patch 00, and MP1 45 = QV 44 etc....

You can move the programs you want in MP1 1 to 10, or you can use the midi program table to map midi number received from FCB to be any MP1 program, you can also map the MP1s midi out to be whatever number you want (so it can "really" do your head in).  You can also do the same "again" in Intellifex, and from what MikeB says, you can all sorts of jiggery pokery in the FCB so you need to think is out (and keep it simple I'd suggest)
I have my QV stay on the same patch for most MP2 programs, so I do this in the QVs midi change table (so MP2 patch 110 = (QV109 = QV 000), 111 (QV110 = 000), 112 = (QV 111 = 000 etc)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Well that's easy,just go from the midi tru or out to the midi in of the mp-1 and set the midi channel on the MP-1 to all.

MikeB

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The FCB1010 gives you a whole new way of controlling all of your midi gear.  I have some issues with its durability, but its functionality is fantastic.  Each patch on the FCB1010 can send several simultaneous (ok, not exactly simultaneous) program change and control change midi messages on different midi channels. 

I have an MP1 and a TC g-Major 2.  The MP1 listens on midi channel 1 and the TC listens on midi channel 2.  There is no mapping of midi messages within either of the units, it is all done at the pedal. I have a set of basic patches on my MP1.  One set for each guitar and then these are duplicated but with the effect loop on so that I can use the GCS3 when I don't want to use the speakers.  This means that my 5 basic sounds are repeated 4 times.  I have a patch on the TC for each of these basic sounds that gets used regardless of which guitar and whether I am playing through headphones or using the speakers.  I could use the midi mapping in either the MP1 or the TC to achieve this but it seemed to make sense to use the pedal to organise the whole deal.  Each patch on the pedal sends a program change to the MP1 on channel 1 and a program change to the TC on channel 2. 

Programming the FCB1010 as it comes out of the box is a nightmare that very nearly sent me insane  :facepalm: :dunno: :crazy:.  I don't recommend this approach.  There is an editor that you can get that runs on your computer and has a beautiful graphical interface that lets you program your FCB1010 with a mouse.  I found out about this when I bought the Uno mod for the 1010, http://www.ossandust.be/ The software (FCB-UnO Control Centre) will also work with a stock FCB1010.  It can be found here: http://www.lg-fcb.com/lgfcb_software.php .  It isn't free but it isn't expensive either and soooo much easier than programming the pedal in the traditional manner.  I know that MarchalJMP does not like the cheap USB to midi leads, however I use one of those that I picked up for about 10 bucks online somewhere and it works just fine (so far).

The UnO mod changes the way the FCB1010 behaves a little bit.  Instead of having 10 banks of ten patches, I now have 20 banks of 5 patches (this is why I'm using 5 basic sounds) and the top row of buttons on the pedalboard are now set up to send control change messages to turn various effects on or off on the TC. 

This has all been a bit general.  I too started out with very little knowledge and have only really learnt all of this by researching, reading and experimenting (which I kind of get a kick out of).  If you need any specific help with any of the above then let me know and I can go through it all with you in more detail.

Mike.
I don't feel tardy!

Metropolis

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I just got my MP1 and Intellifex hooked up to my FCB1010 and in having an issue.  I intend to set it up where patches on both units coincide with each other numerically.  1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc.  Right now the FCB responds correctly with patches 1-4 and 6-10,  but  hitting footswitch 5 calls up program 40 on both units.  Any ideas on resolving this?
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

MikeB

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

So it looks like you have your two units listening on the right midi channel and responding to Program Change messages.  The fact that they both go to 40 when you select pedal 5 indicates that the issue is in the pedal.  It is sending a Program Change 40 when you depress that button.  You will need to program your FCB to send PC 5 instead.  You can do this two ways.  Download the editor that i mentioned or take your chances with programing the FCB in the traditional manner (as described in the manual).  If you elect to try method two you may want to sacrifice a goat to your favourite god beforehand.  I can't really step you through it over the forum.  Just take your time and follow the instructions exactly as written.  Good luck, let us know how you go.
Mike
I don't feel tardy!

Metropolis

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Thanks Mike. .. I'll get to it in several hours
  I will unfortunately have to sacrifice a goat because I dont have internet on my pc at home.  I will let you know how it goes.   Thanks again.
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

MikeB

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

OK. Just dug out my preset programming guide.  It wasn't as buried as i thought.  For what you want to do, this should do it.

1. Select preset 5
2. Press and hold DOWN button for 3 seconds. (Commence preset editing)
3. Press UP ("select" led starts flashing)
4. Press 1 (the first of five possible PC messages you can send from this preset)
5. Press UP ("number" led starts flashing)
6. Press 5 (send midi program change message 5 on this preset)
7. Press UP ("select" led starts flashing)
8. Press and hold DOWN button for 3 seconds. (Save the preset)

Basically,  what this does is configure preset 5 to send midi program change 5.  It is the most basic preset configuration you can do. Once you start sending multiple messages across multiple midi channels within one preset, you end up doing the tap dance of death and it gets very difficult to remember where you are in the process. Good luck.
Mike
I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

What, no goat sacrifice  :facepalm: LOL, @Mike, I see what you mean, complicated or what.

Metropolis

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I got everything to work except foot switch 5.  It still wants to call up patch 40 on both units.  I copied patches 5 to positions 40 so I get what I want when I select foot switch 5.  It works but its not numerically correct. ?????
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

MikeB

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Got some ideas. Don't have time right now to write it up. I'll get back to you later today.
I don't feel tardy!

Metropolis

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Thanks!! 
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

MikeB

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Ok then.  There are two ways to go on this. 

First, factory reset.  This restores the FCB to a state that is optimised for use with a variety of Behringer devices.  I don't really know what that means in terms of presets.  You could assume that it will reset everything so that preset 1 sends midi program change 1 and so on.  Who knows?  Take your chances.  There are 3 options depending on what Behringer gear you want it to be compatible with.  To do the factory reset you would power off the FCB, hold down either 1 & 6 (V-Amp family products) or 1 & 7 ( Behringer guitar amps) or 1 & 8 (Bass V-Amp product range).   

The second option is to get a bit more involved in the preset programming.  As each preset is capable of sending 5 different messages, it is possible that one of the later ones is overriding the one you have just programmed.  ie. it is changing to patch 5 and then immediately to patch 40.  So you need to disable the program change messages that you don't need.

Go back to the previous instructions.  After step 3, you will be able to enable or disable these messages.  At this point buttons 1 to 5 will either have their led on or off.  On indicates that it is active and will send a message.  Off indicates that it is inactive.  Turn off messages 2 to 5 by pressing and holding the button for a couple of seconds until the led turns off.  A short tap on one of these buttons then allows you to set the values (as in step 4).

If it still doesn't work then you will need to get a bit more detailed.  Read the manual: http://www.behringer.com/assets/FCB1010_P0089_M_EN.pdf and go through the presets that are working.  See which messages are being sent and work out what is different about preset 5.

Feel free to ask some specific questions but it is getting to the point where I really need to be sitting next to you and watching what happens in real time.

I hope you have better luck this time.
Mike
I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Another possibility and worth checking is the MP1 midi change table, it may be mapping 5 to 40 ?, and if so, 40 is also sent on MP1 midi out to anything plugged into it. Just a thought.
Check the MP1 manual for the midi change table stuff, like most midi gadgets, you can map any midi change number received to any internal program/patch.

MikeB

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

So a quick test is to use midi through instead of midi out.  That will preserve the original message.
I don't feel tardy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up