Other ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabs

Cabinet Simulators

<< < (2/22) > >>

rnolan:
People are doing all sorts of stuff with computers but it's all DSP and tone cloning.  While these are valid they still don't sound as good and also PC based DSPs vary markedly (the free DSPs are usually pretty ordinary).  Dedicated outboard gear (effects etc) generally have much wider (sometimes 128bit) back planes and just do what they are there for, also you can mix them in with the analogue signal and not digitise everything.
For me, the more analogue I can keep the sound the better (that said, the gap is narrowing).  The MP2 cab sims give you closed/open back options but no mic placement variances.  I've used the cab sims of my MP2 for the majority of recordings for over 10 years now and they do rather well, no additional eq required and the convenience of recoding in your lounge room.
I've no direct experience with the ampulator but it looks like a good solution if you can get your hands on one.
For recording, the AxeFX seems to be up there, it uses fractal algorithms and a dedicated DSP CPU.  Not so great live according to some.

McLeanAB:
Best?  I think it's a matter of taste...

I think the Torpedo Two Notes is about as "realistic" as you can get with a TON of options... however, I personally LOVE the cab sims on my Lexicon MPX-G2 and Rocktron Xpression the "best."  I hated the Palmer PDI-09, but I only used it with a line level from a preamp, never from a tube amp speaker out.  Same with the Behringer unit, the H&K Red boxes... yuck.  I did like the old DMC Voodoo Labs Cab Tone... very similar to the ADA Microcab.

There's so much IR stuff out there now, I just don't like fiddling with it on my computer...

Sparker:
Are there any "cheap" standalone IR boxes available yet, not PC based?

McLeanAB:

--- Quote from: Sparker on January 09, 2014, 09:27:53 AM ---Are there any "cheap" standalone IR boxes available yet, not PC based?

--- End quote ---

Yup... search on ebay for "cabinet emulator" "cabinet simulator" "speaker simulator" or "speaker emulator" and there's all sorts of stuff... right now there are three or more ADA Ampulators, a Microcab, the new ADA box, Palmer units, a couple of Behringers, an old Ibanez Parrot, a bunch of Two Notes rack and box units, an old Groove Tube unit (can't do line level), a couple of Marshall SE100 that I've always been curious about, and a few others like the new H&K... some $80 Micro boxes...

ooops... you meant just IR boxes?  The Two Notes is the only one I know about...

MarshallJMP:

--- Quote from: trader144 on January 08, 2014, 04:37:22 PM ---thank you. there were a few ampulators on ebay recently for $700.

what makes them so good?

--- End quote ---

Well it's not just a cab sim but also an amp sim with a real tube in it and alot of dials to finetune the sound.It's my favorite cabsim altough my palmer is also good.

I also have the new ADA GCS-2 lying around (from the other guitar player in the band) and altough not bad i prefer the microcab (monstercab) and the ampulator.

What i usually do is use both micing and cabsims and mixing the sounds,a cabsim usually gives a better bottom end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version