ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Lexicon MPX G2  (Read 45665 times)

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
Lexicon MPX G2
« on: Time Format »

Anyone else use this beast?  I just got one and LOVE it...
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Lexicon MPX G2
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I do not have one, nor have I heard one...perhaps a kind soul could be persuaded to post something online for everyone to hear? Per chance? hmmmm?    ;)

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I do not have one, nor have I heard one...perhaps a kind soul could be persuaded to post something online for everyone to hear? Per chance? hmmmm?    ;)

I'll do that in a few... right now, go here:  http://adammclean.bandcamp.com/track/lexicon-jams

It's the ISP Theta with one cab sim up until the key change, and then another... not sure if I like how bright the second one is, but maybe? 

I got the unit mainly for the cab sims as the Rocktron Xpression sounds so digital and a bit harsh to my ears, even though it's the best so far up until I met the Lexicon MPX G2.  I think I like even the bright Lexicon cab sims compared to the Rocktron (see "Demon Test" above the "Lexicon Jams" to hear the Rocktron).  And of course, in addition to the killer cab sims of the Lexicon, the chorus, delays and reverbs and EQ's are INCREDIBLE.  I'll try to do a demo of sorts to show it off...
« Last Edit: Time Format by McLeanAB »
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

In the mix, I can hardly decipher the difference. I'm sure without all the other instruments, it's more noticeable. Your stuff always impresses me (as does a lot of the stuff I've heard from ADA members  :banana-rock:)

You're right, the second one is bright.

I get the same impression from the chorus and the modulator in my TCE Nova System...it cuts through, but mostly by punching a hi freq hole in the mix. Sounds too tinny for my aged ears.

Killer groove tho...Afro Power Activate  O0
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Also got one! I use it in 4(5)-cable-method with my Boogie Triaxis and this setup rawks!  :metal: :metal: :metal:
Sounds best with non-EMG pups though  :nono:  8)  :wave: :banana-dance:

« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

El Chiguete

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I would love a review/demo of it because in youtube you there isn't any good one. How good is it in 4CM with the ADA? Can you route the effects pre and post the loop (pre and post the MP-1 on the loop)?

More info please!!!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Systematic Chaos,

I was thinking of you when I grabbed the Lexicon... I'm running mine direct via the balanced outs.  I LOVE it so far.

Thanks Dante!

I won't have time any time soon to do a proper demo, but El Chiquete, it's worth it... it's a high end Lexicon.
-Adam

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I must find out more about this Lexicon you speak of :amaze:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

In terms of routing the possibilities are almost endless....
If set up with the 4cm with a dedicated preamp in the Insert, you can route any FX pre or post. The FX/preamp chains can also be varied in terms of series/parallel, not only global or per chain but also within each preset chain....
The FX are Lexicon-quality. There´s an analog section that contains OD/TS, Comp, Wah,... especially the Wahs (Vox and Cry-Baby types) are damn good.
There are some reviews on the www, mostly from when it came out in ´99 (!!!)
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar99/articles/lexicon.htm

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/MPX-G2/LexiconMPX-G2_review.html

http://www.stecrecords.com/?Name=Lexicon%20MPX%20G2

There´s also some PC/MAC edit software:

http://miprosoft.com/mpxg2/

And don´t forget to RTFM!!!!  8)
http://www.lexiconpro.com/en/products/mpx-g2

BTW, works best with the MPX-R1 floorboard.....

Cheers

Magnus

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Here´s a take on the Intro Solo from Dream Theater´s "The Count Of Tuscany" that I did with the Boogie Triaxis and MPX-G2 (4cable method).
FX is all MPX-G2, Preamp is Boogie Triaxis, Clean Sound is MPX-G2 "Accoustifier" Patch with a tad bitr more Chorus, Lead is Boogie Lead 2 Yellow (MkIIC+).
Direct from the Boogie Triaxis recording outputs into an ESI DuaFire > Reaper. No post processing/CabSims/.....
@Adam: Pups are passive DiMarzio CrunchLab bridge and LiquiFire neck, guitar is an Ibanez RG2620 QMSP

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87393920/Triaxis%2BMPXG2.mp3

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Wow nice sound and even nicer playing !

I own a MPX-1,is there actually a difference in sound (effects only).

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Yes! Sounds really good that little clip!

I also own a Lexicon MPX-1 like Marshall JMP.
I think they're the same machines except for the guitar stuff (Sim cabs, distortion patches, etc...)
EMGs suck my energies.

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante!

Here's a quick little improv... using the ISP Theta Preamp direct into the Lexicon MPX-G2.  No cab sims on the cleans ('cause I'm an Alex Lifeson ala PRESTO/HOLD YOUR FIRE/A SHOW OF HANDS clean kinda guy).  The cleans are using a pitch shift to simulate a chorus (just a few cents or so), a stereo ping/pong delay and a very nice chamber reverb.

The lead channel is the Theta using the Lexicon cab sims with some chorus and delays.  I'm still finding the sounds... I like the lead sound, but to me, it's missing just a hint of sizzle... sounds awesome in the room through monitors, but still finding my way as it gets to the computer.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn5hthh5zqxyfsd/Lex.wav
-Adam

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Adam......ADAM!!!!!

...even though it´s EMGs....hell  :whoohoo!: that´s some reeeaaal tasty playing bro!
I LOVE your vibrato!!! Sounds awesome!....and the Theta sound reminds me of a mix of SLO and Bogner! Well done!

And definitely no need for more sizzle...keep it as liquid creamy as it is!!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Thanks man!  That means a lot!

Yeah, the Theta rocks my world... as does this Lexicon!  Ever since I saw pics of your rig on the old forum, I've been thinking about it.  The Theta definitely has that Solando sort of sound to it, but you can kick in Preamp 2 on the Distortion channel and it gets into super heavy Modern sounds (think a saturated Engl).

Dante, if you have any other questions about the Lexicon, let me know!  I'm sure Systmatic Chaos could give you more detailed explanations as it is still new to me, but it's a high end beast!
« Last Edit: Time Format by McLeanAB »
-Adam
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up