ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?  (Read 28542 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

I like to play at a volume that matches the drums, with a boost for the solos. I don't feel the need to bury everyone with the sound of my guitar.

You must play at VERY loud volumes :o

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

I'd be the same as MJMP probably.  Not sure an EQ would sort me out completely.  As for volume, yes I have to play very loud as the drummer is stupid loud!  Thankfully I can beat him now once and for all!  I don't need to go past two o clock on the volume knob either to do it!

I like to have the ability to feedback also.  Sometimes I let it ring out and play with the whammy bar and the feedback during a song intro, or between songs  :thumb-up:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

I completely understand RG,

Drummers aren't the brightest crayons in the box, and it's even worse when they can't keep a steady meter. Dynamics is a concept that escapes about 99% of the so-called Percussion Engineers out there.
     Very much like the average guitar player who gets terrified at the word "Programmable" because he believes that and the word "Amplifier" should never be used in the same sentence.

I've had to compete for airspace with drummers like that in the past more often than I'd like to admit, but at least the ADA rigs make that easy. My levels are usually at a point where if I turn up my volume on the guitar, a couple of my open strings will begin to feedback. Usually they are the A,D and G strings. It doesn't have to be frightfully loud on my end to do that either, but when that happens, I usually have to tell the drummer to tighten his snare bands. :lol:

The EQ settings can help this happen at lower volumes though, but you need a Spectrum Anaylizer to see where all your feedback shelves are. Sound men usually have these things at larger venues to see where their frequencies are clipping. so they can trim those EQ bands down.
    I like multi-frequency feedback myself because that allows me to bend a feedback note into another feedback note or chord. An example of what I'm talking about would be on one occasion, I was pinching a D note at the 12th fret, which began to feed back very nicely, then I bent that up to an E note while it was still feeding back, which struck a harmonic frequency with the open E strings, and they began to vibrate and feedback also. At this point I slid down to an open E Maj 4th (Sus), which just began to feedback across all six strings. There were harmonic shifts and pitch changes in the feedback through all of this but it was very musical, and people later asked me what kind of effect was I using to get those crazy sounds. That was too funny.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Or you can buy the berhinger feedback destroyer crap  :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

@Harley

well that's a lot more complex view of feedback than I have.  But that's because I don't know as much.  Basically I'm just trying to make noises.  I haven't cracked getting notes to change with it.  I'm not sure what sets my feedback off in terms of what strings.  Probably the D and G I reckon.  I might experiment and see if I can get more things to happen with the feedback.

@mjmp  is that feedback destroyer for guitars?  I was thinking it's more of a live sound in general type of tool?  Might be useful in that context.  Or perhaps it is just crap.  I still enjoy behringer products even if that one is shit :)  They've served me well over the years.  Still use a UB1222fx and AB200 footswitch and AD121 V-tone acoustic DI.  I think Behringer has something called a "shark"  also for feedback.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

They have a feedback destroyer but IMO behringer is crap.And it's for PA's.

http://www.bax-shop.be/nl/behringer-fbq1000-feedback-destroyer

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

They have a feedback destroyer but IMO behringer is crap.And it's for PA's.

http://www.bax-shop.be/nl/behringer-fbq1000-feedback-destroyer

+1  Behringer is crap for guitar! I have two multi-effects processors from them, and I don't use them at all. Modulizer Pro, and Virtulizer Pro. The effects in these might be okay to mix with a board, but in the effects loop of a preamp, they suck pharts out of city bus seats!

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, feedback "destroyers" are basically frequency sensitive compressors, so they monitor the freq spectrum and if any "go off" they compress just that frequency.  They are primarily for PA and lazy sound engineers.  Not that they don't have their place but if you are any good at tuning a system (FOH and Monitors), you shouldn't need them.  They can be helpful with more complicated monitor setups where it get hard to know where the squeal is coming from. Your main "friend" with PA feedback is lots of headroom in the poweramps.  For guitar feedback it's all very different.  A good way to get used to it is to crank an old Marshall, just guitar, no FX, and learn how to control and play with the massive feedback  >:D . I used to play Hendrix star spangled banner as loud as my amp would go

I always liked Behringer gear but their quality has dropped off from when I first bought a few bits many years ago (but it's about a price point..).  The Eurorack UB2442FX desks are reasonable and well featured.  I have 2, a very early one and a later one for the PA. The FX in these desks is crap, there's only one setting (a delay + rev) that's slightly usable. I've used a VertuliserPro for some recording, I just used the aural exciter though.  I have a 4 way headphone amp that's very good (again early version).  I also have a patch bay, it's pretty ordinary and triples the amount of leads you need to plug something in.  My Truth studio monitors (with Truth Sub) are very good, mine are well over 10years old, but again very early manufacture, I paid over $2.5k for these, now you can buy a pair for $600.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

can't vouch for any of those things, but as I say the behringer stuff I have work fine and I've had no issues.  I don't think I would bother using their guitar effects, although I've used a couple of their stomps over the years and they were fine as well.
Oh I forgot I have a rack compressor by Behringer and there is nothing wrong with that either and a multigate pro which is very good XR4400 and and two little Behringer Vintager Practice amps which are really nice and have a little tube in the preamp for a natural over drive.  Respect you guys opinions but I myself can't just say they are crap, not from my own experience.  I'm sure some stuff is rubbish though I have no doubts, but they fill a gap in the market for those looking for affordable kit that can actually be really good.

@Richard,  yeah I imagined that feedback destroyer thing would be something like you say it is.  And yeah probably for lazy engineers.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

The behringer feedback destroyer works like an eq but with very narrow bands,so it detects the FB freq and turns the gain of that freq down.

Now all the beringer I have is crap,the headphone amp I have distorts like crazy if you put in 2 headphones or 1 low impedance headphone, the gates cracks ,worthless pieces of crap.The only good thing they make is the CT100 cable tester  :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

The behringer feedback destroyer works like an eq but with very narrow bands,so it detects the FB freq and turns the gain of that freq down.

Now all the beringer I have is crap,the headphone amp I have distorts like crazy if you put in 2 headphones or 1 low impedance headphone, the gates cracks ,worthless pieces of crap.The only good thing they make is the CT100 cable tester  :lol:
I don't mean to be sounding like I'm leaping to behringers defence but........

I have the same headphone amp actually, so that's more Behringer gear I own.  No problems like you have MJMP.  I used it during our last recordings (few weeks ago).  I didn't buy this however, someone accidentally left it inside a multitrack I bought so I got a brand new headphone amp for free. 

I also own the Cable tester is real good MJMP.  Solid built and the battery has lasted me since I first got the thing about 6-7 years ago.  Oh and a Behringer ULTRA-G GI100 is fine as well.  Oh and one more, we use these PA speakers Behringer Eurolive B2520 Pro Dual 15" Passive PA Speakers for vocals and they are spot on and going strong after ten years so I have to flat out say that not all their stuff is crap.  I'm sure some of it is, but I've yet to be let down.

Again I can only speak on behalf of my own experience with their stuff and in all honesty I've never had one f*ck up.  Also if you check on line reviews, plenty, and I mean plenty of people review quite a few positive reviews of products they make.
Even though I do not own these Behringer B115D, I happen to know these are very good monitors since I've used them at gigs I've played.  Oh and our bass player uses this Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Head.  It's a good amp, I just despise the EQ on it.  It really ruins my day trying to use the f**king thing!

I know Soloist has had a positive experience using the Behringer hum destroyer (which is a similar device to the Art Clean Box I got for my ground loop issue).  And Richard loves his Behringer truths.

The gates cracks?  What do you mean MJMP?

Jeez I didn't realise I have quite a bit of behringer stuff.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

In my humble opinion, the best noise gate ever made was the Rockman Smart Gate.  It was a studio-quality unit available as a half-rack module and can still be found on eBay for around $250; two can be mounted for stereo side by side in a Rockman Rack Tray.  I like it so much I have two of them; the gate action is completely imperceptible.  Here's a great article on the design:

http://www.rockman.fr/Reviews/SG.htm

When Tom Scholz sold SR&D to Dunlop, they rebranded the Smart Gate as the MXR Smart Gate.  It is essentially the same circuit.  I also use the rack version, the MXR Smart Gate Pro:

An excellent unit overall as well; you can pick one up on eBay for around $300.

Finally, I have an ISP Decimator Pro Rack G Stereo; this is the one that lives in my ADA rack:

The stereo mod version is the right one to get; it has a separate guitar input that allows it to track the signal more accurately than the regular version.  It is not cheap: I picked mine up on eBay for $350.  Overall it performs very well, but the gating action is more noticeable than with the MXR or Rockman.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Hey GB,

I nearly bought an MXR Smartgate.

So are you telling me that the pedal version is the Rockman Smartgate?  How does the pedal and rack version compare?  The rack seems a lot more articulate.

Guess what................Behringer copied the MXR Smartgate too lol   :facepalm:  sorry guys had to mention it

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-ig9-intelligent-noise-gate-effects-pe--248-6258

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

I have the decimator with the stereo mod but I still prefer it hooked up as dual mono, tracking is a lot better this way.So how does the decimator compares to the MXR and rockman?

@RG, well when the gates open you hear a sort crack in the sound,maybe they use relays in it hahaha .
I use a SMpro headphone amp now,it's like 500 times better then the behringer and Australian made  >:D
Nice rack with a lot switching options and 6 outputs.
http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/headphone-amps/hp6e#hi-res-pictures
Now I forgot to mention I also have a second Behringer unit, the PB1000, ideal for putting my boss pedals in.But you can only use the case,don't use the cable's and power transformer unless you want added noise.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-PB1000-Pedal-Board/dp/B000VBC5CY
The 9V adaptor I use is the 1 spot,really good, a lot better then the supplied behringer.
http://www.bax-shop.nl/gitaareffect-voeding-adapter/truetone-1-spot-adapter-combo-pack

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

I remember looking into those Rockman Smart Gates when I was shopping for noise gates back in the 80's. The Rockman is actually a combination De-Esser/Noise Gate, with a compression effect added. It was the compressor that actually turned me off to the unit since I didn't need or want a compressor in my rack.
   That was something I noticed about a lot of the Rockman gear. Compression effect is present with a lot of the units, and too much of it just doesn't sound natural on a guitar. Tom Scholz really liked the compression effects it seems.

Harley 8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up