ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The rackstar ADA should do  (Read 14807 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: The rackstar ADA should do
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Gerry,

No I haven't tried it, and I probably won't because I won't even considyouer spending that kind of money on the thing, and yeah, you are looking at the ugly little toaster oven I was talking about.
     Hell, I could go buy a Friedman SS100 for $3500, and that is a good tube amp, if I were interested in going to amp heads, which I'm not. The point is, that cheaper than the Kemper, and a hell of a lot easier to dial in your tone.
    Wagener admits that he has to go back and redo the samples in the Kemper, because you can't capture all the nuances in one shot. So how many times do you have to profile an amp to catch everything it does? And if you have multiple amps like I do, you'd have to repeat that entire process with each one. That sounds like a big pain in the ass that never ends.
    Yeah, you could go get a Bugera, and I'm sure MJMP will ride you like a horse about it. I've tried those a few years back, not the kind of overdrive/distortion I'm used to. Those are pretty cheap too, and so are Blackstar. It seems those are one of the more popular selling amps around here for the last couple of years. The local music shop down the street from me sells them, and I tried a couple of them. Good clean tone, but again like the Bugera, the Distortion is not me, so I wouldn't buy one of them either.
    As I said in my last post, I'm through with modelling amps and their limitations, and I've already spent enough on them, in terms of time and money, to learn this. I'll stick with real amps because it's so much more satisfying.
   As for brand names, whatever works. I've posted that several times here. Take me for example. I recently bought two Peavey Classic 50/50 power amps to replace the Microtube power amps I've been using for years. Now I'm basically a Fender/ADA guy for the most part, but I've been wanting to upgrade my sound to tube amps for years. I've been holding out for a T100S, but they are few and far between, and when one does come up, then I'm usually tied up in something else and can't afford it. So, f*ck IT! I bought the Peavey's. A brand name that most of their product line is shit with only a few notable items here and there, but the Classics WORK! I'm getting what I was after with the MP-1 Classic, and discovering a lot of surprises with the MP-2 with this amp.
    I'm sure there will be a fair number of snob guitar players who'll turn their noses up at these amps, but it's my rig, not theirs, and I don't give a flying f*ck through a rolling donut. Deal with it.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Chamai

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Chamai,

What you just said is the same thing I used to hear from the sales clerks in the music shops in the 90's, "rack units are really out of style." I already posted my reply to that earlier.
   As far as an amp head goes, ADA would have to get it right the first time, to break into the already saturated market for amplifiers, and they would have to make it affordable to be competitive in the market, and that may be the most difficult hurdle for them to jump over.
   To target us here at the ADA Depot as the main source of marketing for either an amp head or a new rack preamp,(whatever it may be called), is very impractical from a business point of view because we are only a tiny percentage of guitar players in the world-wide market. Think about it.
    Pedals are more affordable and accessible to the world market of guitar players at the moment, and the pedals they currently offer, are aimed at the fly-rig market, to eliminate the need for bulky amplifiers. That's not hard to see.
    If they did come out with a new rack mounted preamp, sure, I'd be very interested in auditioning it, and if it gives me the usable tones that I would expect from ADA, I'd more than likely buy it. That doesn't mean that everyone else in the guitar world would do the same thing. With either an amp head or a rack mounted preamp, that's where the big gamble for ADA would be in the present market situation.

i agree with you. i strongly feel what ADA needs is that "one" product that can put them back in the game. all depends on how much ADA wants to dump on marketing. ADA needs to get some pro's using their stuff.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

i agree with you. i strongly feel what ADA needs is that "one" product that can put them back in the game. all depends on how much ADA wants to dump on marketing. ADA needs to get some pro's using their stuff.

That's true...getting some artists who are currently in the limelight to use their equipment WOULD go a long way in promoting sales for them. That's always been true for a long time because people want to emulate their heroes.
   In the mid-60's, Fender was considering dropping the Stratocaster from their catalog because it wasn't selling as well as the Jaguars and Musicmasters. Then Jimi Hendrix came along and did his thing, and sales skyrocketed. Fender went along for the ride.
   I'm pretty certain it's been a tough battle for ADA to come back after all this time, and to stay in business, so I imagine funding for advertising is limited. Even if we didn't like pedals so much, we could support ADA by buying what they are offering. The nearest distributor to me is 70 miles away from where I live, so I'd have to go there to audition the APP-1 and MP-1 Channel.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Think you nailed it Harely.

The nearest distributor to me is in another country!

If I was ADA I'd be making a new MP1 in a rack, and spamming the metal bands telling them it's a marshall in a box and based on the legendary MP1 that has appeared on albums such as...............................

And milking that market, then using that energy to branch into new areas with power amps speaker sims etc

I got hold of the MP1 cause I was looking for something iconic to the era most of my music is from, I know the kids that watch my band are into the same music so they'd buy into a product that was famous for being part of the scene they enjoy so much.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Chamai

« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

too bad music these days don't require much guitar nor any instruments...

most people i know don't really know wtf a pre amp really is. they know what a head is. but have no idea what a power section or the pre amp section actually does.

if ADA can include some education info in their marketing, that would help.

" plug our MP3 into your FX return" !! Most guys don't really power amps anymore. I once walked into a store and ask if they have any used power amps, the sales guy told me all their bass heads are int he bass department. please add the instrument/line switch. tons of people will plug the MP3 infront of their amp.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

most people i know don't really know wtf a pre amp really is. they know what a head is. but have no idea what a power section or the pre amp section actually does.

" plug our MP3 into your FX return" !! Most guys don't really power amps anymore. I once walked into a store and ask if they have any used power amps, the sales guy told me all their bass heads are int he bass department. please add the instrument/line switch. tons of people will plug the MP3 infront of their amp.

Hey man I totally know what you mean.........................for example a DJ these day's is a guy with a laptop and a play list.  No turntables, nothing!  Not that I give a f*ck about DJ's but it's a sign of the times.

As for people knowing about preamps..................or poweramps, most guitarists I encounter no nothing about equipment.  You could argue that perhaps they are better players than me so they don't need to know, but I think it's weird they haven't a basic understanding of their equipment.  I was on tour with a swedish band a few years ago and their guitarists where great, better than me?  Well may be, or at least I was on par with them, certainly one of them anyways, well I started talking to them about gear and they were like "I don't really like talking about equipment, I just like to play".  It almost sounded like they were trying to make me look bad for not talking about playing but instead I was talking gear.

Anyways they didn't realise their heads are made up of a preamp and a power amp.  Most players I encounter are like this, and they are the sort who use guitar cables to run from their amp to speaker cab!  And don't know what a speaker cable is  :facepalm:

I kinda like knowing about gear myself as I like to know how to utilize my aresenal to the best I can to get what I want.  That's just me though.  I also like to mod or repair as much as I can myself, it's another level of involvement with your gear.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hey man I totally know what you mean.........................for example a DJ these day's is a guy with a laptop and a play list.  No turntables, nothing!  Not that I give a f*ck about DJ's but it's a sign of the times.

As for people knowing about preamps..................or poweramps, most guitarists I encounter no nothing about equipment.  You could argue that perhaps they are better players than me so they don't need to know, but I think it's weird they haven't a basic understanding of their equipment.  I was on tour with a swedish band a few years ago and their guitarists where great, better than me?  Well may be, or at least I was on par with them, certainly one of them anyways, well I started talking to them about gear and they were like "I don't really like talking about equipment, I just like to play".  It almost sounded like they were trying to make me look bad for not talking about playing but instead I was talking gear.

Anyways they didn't realise their heads are made up of a preamp and a power amp.  Most players I encounter are like this, and they are the sort who use guitar cables to run from their amp to speaker cab!  And don't know what a speaker cable is  :facepalm:

I kinda like knowing about gear myself as I like to know how to utilize my aresenal to the best I can to get what I want.  That's just me though.  I also like to mod or repair as much as I can myself, it's another level of involvement with your gear.

You can thank the Karaoke concept for the rise in popularity of DJ's, coupled with the fact that club owners only have to pay one guy, as opposed to paying a band.
   Bar owners who do have bands come in to their clubs around my part of the world, usually demand the band bring in their following. That's fine for established bands that have a following, but newer bands, have yet to establish that so they don't last long, and they dissolve. When the established bands break up and dissolve, then there are no more live acts happening. That's pretty much where the local scene is at here. DJ's, and Karaoke nights. whoopee.

@ Gerry,

I totally understand the guys you are talking about, and these are the ones I referred to in earlier posts. They don't know their gear, and don't want to know. They just feel that all they should know is how to plug in and play. These are the people who the stomp box market is aimed at, but even that might be too complicated for them.

They weren't really trying to make you feel bad because you were talking about gear Gerry, they just started feeling their own ignorance because they couldn't keep up with that topic. You were actually making them realize their own stupidity, and from this feeling is where they become critical of other guitar players who do know their gear. When I encounter these types, I usually bring up names like Steve Vai, or John Petrucci, and their rigs, and listen to what they have to say about it. It's usually very negative and long-winded about all the complicated rigs these guys use. When they finish dissing Steve and John, I usually end up with a comment like; "I guess that explains why their paychecks are bigger than yours." That pisses these guys off even more!  :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

They weren't really trying to make you feel bad because you were talking about gear Gerry, they just started feeling their own ignorance because they couldn't keep up with that topic.
Hahaha I never looked it that way, I always felt that perhaps then they thought I was boring because I can ramble on about shit.  However I switch of too if people start talking to me about stuff I'm not interested in.  And I'd say nearly 100% of the gear I see other bands/people using live doesn't interest me.

It's all Mesa Boogie and Engl and Marshall 2000 era heads.

The one and only time I remember someone using something that I took note off was when I was playing in Cork, south of Ireland and a nice guy in one of the bands was using a Boss GT5, same as what I have and also using a Westone Spectrum guitar.  I started speaking to him about the guitar and he had no idea about it being a kinda well thought of axe, since it's matsumoku made Westone from Japan.  He was like "oh I see, I just picked that up secind hand of someone for cheap, didn't know it was supposed to be a good axe, I just thought it was cheapo axe".

I was somewhat taken back that he didn't realise he had quite a collectible in his hands.  It was also in bad shape.

You were actually making them realize their own stupidity, and from this feeling is where they become critical of other guitar players who do know their gear. When I encounter these types, I usually bring up names like Steve Vai, or John Petrucci, and their rigs, and listen to what they have to say about it. It's usually very negative and long-winded about all the complicated rigs these guys use. When they finish dissing Steve and John, I usually end up with a comment like; "I guess that explains why their paychecks are bigger than yours." That pisses these guys off even more!  :lol:
  ahahah great comeback.  I find no one has the interest in gear that I have hence being part of this forum.  And I'm regularly having to stop talking about it to guy's at gigs because they do seem to get uncomfortable, but I honestly put that down to boredom.  Same about recording as well.  I'll strike up a conversation about how someone did their drums and it ends with "we did it with triggers"  or "oh paid some guy to do this.............".

My own band have no clue about gear for example.  I have to set the bassist sound up!!  And I struggle weekly with it if I am honest.  Not a fan of his bass or his amps EQ.  Good amp but the controls are shocking on the eq section,  if it had a slider EQ live would be easier.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Gerry,

Really the only people you can talk about gear with are other guitar players who are actually interested in getting the best possible sound they can. You can usually tell who they are because they will come up to you when you are on a break and ask you how you are getting a certain sound, or how you have some specific piece of equipment hooked up in your rig. Then they will usually want to take a closer look.

What kind of amp does your bassist use? I already know he has a Rick bass. (I'm not a big fan of those)

I have a tendency to make some of the local guitar players feel stupid when I answer their questions about how I use certain gear in my racks. Not that I do it intentionally, but the answers probably raise more questions in their minds, and they are just too proud to ask, because then, it'll be obvious that they don't have a clue.

I'm not interested in any of those amps either, or I would already have them, but that kind of "Simple Simon" set up doesn't really interest me anymore. Once I went to rack, there was no turning back. I mean I could use a pedal rig, but my rack would not be far away.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

I'm not interested in any of those amps either, or I would already have them, but that kind of "Simple Simon" set up doesn't really interest me anymore. Once I went to rack, there was no turning back.
Amen to that brother.
Maybe I am just getting old but it seems to me most of these younger  (millenials) guitar players want the simplest setup, they are happy with a meh guitar tone. I had one ask me about my rig and how a get that tone. His response was "well that's too intricate for me". Are you serious dude?!!  So I ended up telling him that's why my tone is at the next level and you continue to sound like a junior high school garage band. :lol:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Exactly Soloist!

When they grow up, they will either want to find out how to get a better tone from their guitar, or they'll quit playing altogether.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

But aren't we being snobs guy's?

Some of those guy's can really play.  May be I should learn a bit more rather than f**king about with controls?

hahaha I enjoy a good "tweak"  :o

And yes I encounter the kids and come up and ask me what I'm using which always feels nice.  It's a shame most gigs I play out of my home city I have to use what ever random cab that is supplied.  Now that's ok most of the time but doesn't really represent me to the fullest.  One venue I play in Dublin has nice Orange cabs, I dunno what the are loaded with but I always like the sound of my shit through those.  The sound man down there is eccentric as anything though, really fussy!!  He's Belgian!  And he is hard to understand.  Funny when I met MJMP I had trouble at all understanding his accent.  And a good meeting that was as well  :thumb-up:

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Being snobs..... I would say no. If they have the talent and the chops but sound like  :poop: than what's the point? Why even bother to play? They don't want to learn about
their  equipment to take it to the next level. Just want to plateau.
These are some of the same people who scoop all the mids out and wonder why they get washed out in the mix. Duh! But they think they know it all, and when you explain or suggest to bump up their mids  they don't want to hear it. That's fine, cause I'll be the one blowing them off the stage  :headbanger:
Sorry if it sounds snobbish, I just have no patients for half-ass guitars. I poured my whole life into music and take pride in what I do. Some of those youngins probably do play better than me. But you wouldn't know it cause they have worst tone and sound like $hit. My niece is 10, learning guitar for about a year now. On my rig she sounds alot better than she is. I always want to sound better. Don't you?
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

I was only sayin man  :dunno:

I happen to hate pretty much all modern heavy guitar tone  :lol: and I know I'm a snob about it, but then I dunno if what I like is what anyone else likes.  I always get told my guitar is really clear at gigs, but I always think they're saying to me I don't have enough distortion or something.  It's bizarre.

I can't say my tone is amazing, but I know I like it so it pleases me.  It happens to have quite a bit of mid range and always has.  I'm still perfecting it as we always are.  Always working on guitars to get the best out of them.  I have quite a few and haven't made them all great yet, but I'm working on it.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry,

Your tone is very reminiscent of Glen Tipton/K.K. Downing's guitar tone on the classic Priest albums. It's a "Classic" guitar tone by today's standards. Modern guitar tones are so saturated with thick distortion, and EQ'ed like Soloist says, all highs and lows with the mids cut out of it. This is why in a studio, the engineers will pull these guys back, so that kind of tone will sit better in a mix, and that's usually where the arguments start :lol:
    What's all this banter about newer guitar players being better than older ones? We're talking about Art here, not an athletic competition. In terms of technical proficiency, there are always a percentage of players who are much more capable of that than others, but does that automatically imply that they are better? I don't believe so. When it comes to music, what really sells more, the song with a simple catchy hook, or the one with 50 Bazillion notes from start to finish? That's a no-brainer.
      Playing a guitar, or any instrument for that matter if you are an artist, is merely an extension of our physical senses. It's the way we express ourselves and tell a story, or emulate an experience in our past. That's what makes us all different. So does that mean anyone is better than anyone else? Nope. It means we are all UNIQUE. That's a good thing. Otherwise we would all be playing the same thing, and that's boring.

Edit: Gerry, I'm not sure of this but if the Orange cabs you play through in Dublin are their traditional ones, (i.e. the larger orange tolex 4x12's), then I'd be willing to wager they are loaded with the Vintage 30 Celestion's. Those are the most popular choice when it comes to classic guitar tones.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up