Non ADA Gear > Guitars

Fingerboard Oil (how often, what oil)?

(1/3) > >>

rnolan:
Here's one to kick off some discussion.  How often do you oil your fingerboard and what FB oil do you use.
Obviously this is for non-lacquered FBs e.g. rosewood (may fav as they fight me a bit and don't get too slippery) or ebony etc. 

RandallRG:
Rich hey Buddy how ya doing? For me I always clean & oil my board each time I change my strings.. (now maybe that's a bit "Overkill") but I just jam at Home & change my strings every few Months etc..Depends on how much I am playing. I use Dunlops 6502 Fingerboard Kit. My Kramers have Rosewood Boards & this kit works great. It cleans them up real well & gives the board that Deep Dark shine. Hope all is well Mate!  :metal:

MarshallJMP:

--- Quote from: RandallRG on June 19, 2014, 07:59:49 AM ---Rich hey Buddy how ya doing? For me I always clean & oil my board each time I change my strings.. (now maybe that's a bit "Overkill") but I just jam at Home & change my strings every few Months etc..Depends on how much I am playing. I use Dunlops 6502 Fingerboard Kit. My Kramers have Rosewood Boards & this kit works great. It cleans them up real well & gives the board that Deep Dark shine. Hope all is well Mate!  :metal:

--- End quote ---

+1,but i use the bigger kit.(dunlop 6500)

Dante:
I use Dr. Stringfellows - it's just lemon oil. Typically, the only time I use it is when there's a bunch of gunk on the fretboard.

I used to have a bottle of Fiddlebright, that works very well too!

rnolan:
Hey Dante, Lemon oil is a bit of an issue, from my guitar building/repair days, lemon oil has some water in it and makes the grains swell in the wood (very bad on rosewood particularly), not to mention leaves a white dusty "finish" on your Fret board, so I only use it for cleaning the polished surfaces, which it does well (gets the blood off nicely...), I don't need to use polish, lemon oil with a good cloth works fine but not for the FB.  I'm using the Dunlop 02 as it seems the best around (though there have been better FB oil mixtures, just can't get them anymore...).
Timing wise, these days I'm kind of with you Steve, I oil the FB when I change strings, and now I'm not playing 3 to 5 nights a week (back then changed strings every 2nd night or I'd bust a D on floating whammy, pick up spare...) so now every few months as I'm not playing as much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version