Non ADA Gear > Guitars

NGD! THE Holy Grail Ibanez RG - 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red

(1/2) > >>

Systematic Chaos:
Treated myself to an early christmas present ;-)

This is regarded as the holy grail Ibanez RG550, a 1987 MIJ Ibanez RG550 in Road Flare Red. This color was only offered for one year and it's friggin hard to capture on camera. Neon red kinda.
Found this on Yahoo Auctions Japan for ~220€/260$, and besides some gunk and discoloration on the fretboard, the body has no dings or scratches.
These were the firs RGs that were released together withthe first Jems and I guess Ibanez really wanted to set a mark and footprint in the guitar market back then. This one has a one piece body.
These first series RGs came with V2 bridge and V1 neck pups that were wound by Maxon in Japan. After 30 years of "natural aging" these truly sound phenomenal. The V2 like vintage throaty Super Distortion and the V1 like neck PAF from the late 50s.
So much for teh first impression....now off to de-gunking the fretboard and sanding down the back of the neck for a Tru-Oil/Wax finish ;-)

rnolan:
Very nice SC, merry xmas  :wave: .  Have you considered true oiling the fret board as well ?  That will get rid of the divots and make it less slippery, and I assume a re-fret wouldn't hurt it..

MikeB:
Geez. How many guitars does one guy need? :dunno:
Oh ,that's right.  Just one more.  :banana-guitar: :headbanger: :banana-trip:

Soloist:
Very Nice SC!  :thumb-up:
Always liked the early RG's :headbanger:

MarshallJMP:

--- Quote from: MikeB on December 12, 2017, 12:44:00 AM ---Geez. How many guitars does one guy need? :dunno:
Oh ,that's right.  Just one more.  :banana-guitar: :headbanger: :banana-trip:

--- End quote ---

+1  ;D Nice guitar, really like the color!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version