Non ADA Gear > Guitars

NPupsD!

(1/8) > >>

Kim:
..New Pickups Day!   :whoohoo!:

Finally have the DiMarzios installed and wired up in one of my Kellys.  SC was very helpful with providing wiring schematics and such, but I already had it wired up another way before I got to his most recent email with a schematic attached.  I may try it that way in the future, but for now.... wiring this stuff was so damn fiddly and tedious that I'm not in any hurry to do it all over again!  So, I hope I like these pups.  lol

The way I have this wired (for now) is that the push/pull only changes the neck pup from a normal Series humbucker to a Parallel humbucker.  This seems to get more of a single-coil tone from the humbucker without all the buzz normally associated with single coil pups because it's still cancelling the hum by using both coils (EDIT: at least I think it's still cancelling some hum...it's still quiet anyway)  We'll see how I like that, but we'll have to see how I like the new passive humbuckers in their normal mode first.   I played a bit at home, seems a lot different than what I had before with the EMGs.  I'll have to get over to the rehearsal place to actually try with the Rig of Fire to make some more determinations.

But here's the attached pic.  Sorry about the fingerprints and smudges.  I like a clean guitar and try to keep it clean as much as I reasonably can, but this is ridiculous and I swear I will never own another Black guitar again unless maybe it's a Flat or Matte Black.  >:(   
But you can see I swapped the chrome pole pieces with the black ones in a strategic and matching way.  The Breed pickup in the bridge originally had chrome pole pieces, and the PAF Pro in the neck had the black ones.   I'll keep us posted about how I like these pickups, and if they are indeed right for me.   :wave:

Harley Hexxe:
That's looking pretty good Kim,

I know where you are coming from about the wiring hassle, as I've been dealing with a bit of that in my Showmaster guitars and it's proving to be a major pain in the a$$.

Since the Showmasters come with a volume and tone knob, and a 5-way blade switch, I'm thinking about getting the DiMarzio EP1112  and doing some wiring mods with that. I'm not really sure what I'm after with those, but it could prove interesting.

Kim:
Last night I had my first gig since getting the new DiMarzio Breed and PAF Pro pups in one of my axes.   :thumb-up:

Oh yes.....I will be keeping these pups in that guitar because it sounded great!  I brought both guitars for the gig, and ultimately only used the black one just because it was sounding so good and just felt like it was singing just right.  I can't really explain it like others can....other than everything just clicked.  The quality of that particular chunk and heft I look for was all there in spades. I didn't readjust any my normal EQ settings either; left everything right where it is for now. The EMGs really are nice, but I don't feel like they are right for me anymore like I always used to think.  Meh, tastes change and I'd be a fool to think otherwise because I already know how they changed for a lot of things over all the years. So, I will definitely be on the lookout for another pair of DiMarzio pickups for the other guitar.  8)  EMGs are going to market to help offset the purchases.

Now for the other guitar I'm thinking of trying a Crunch Lab paired with something else, perhaps the LiquiFire?  .....SC will undoubtedly have a great recommendation for a DiMarzio pair to try; IMO he's definitely the guy to listen to for that advice.   :bow:   

Dante:
I hear ya on the tedious factor...my Steinberger gave me fits.

SC will probably recommend the Liquifire/Crunchlab combination, as he uses them extensively ;)

Systematic Chaos:

--- Quote from: Dante on July 02, 2017, 03:20:22 PM ---I hear ya on the tedious factor...my Steinberger gave me fits.

SC will probably recommend the Liquifire/Crunchlab combination, as he uses them extensively ;)

--- End quote ---

(Almost) on the money 8)
The CrunchLab bridge is my favorite pup hands down. If you like the Breed you’ll love the CL. It has the same character in a tad bit more modern and complex way.
I’ve gone back to the Air Norton in the neck though (installed with the slotted screws towards the bridge)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version