Let's Get Technical > Troubleshooting Problems

Viper trouble

(1/4) > >>

Dante:
Viper troubleshooting topic split and moved.

Hey Stanski,

My Classic did the same thing you described. I was using the Brown channel, with a heavy overdrive (not quite distortion) tone, and it got louder as it warmed up. Thing is, later on, it went back down and came back up again. Just a couple dBs of difference, but the drive also fluctuated (cleaning up when the tone went down).

It has done this before, but I thought I remedied it by replacing the toobs with the original (very old) toobs. I wonder if it's a tube thing or if the Viper and Classic share some sort of circuitry that causes this  :dunno:

Maybe try a different set of tubes?

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Dante,

I'm pretty sure Kim would have already tried the tube rolling in that Viper, as that would have been the easiest fix. I also believe the Classic tone would live in that amp to a degree since that was the current MP-1 preamp that was on the market at the time the Viper came out, and the original had already been discontinued for 3 years.

Harley 8)

Kim:

--- Quote from: Harley Hexxe on October 17, 2016, 03:26:44 PM ---I'm pretty sure Kim would have already tried the tube rolling in that Viper, as that would have been the easiest fix.

--- End quote ---

Yep, that was the very first thing I did when it went out.  At that time a had about a dozen known good tubes to try, with no change to the Viper's operation. I didn't see anything else obviously wrong in there either.   :dunno:

Dante might even recall, that him and I were actually talking on the phone while I was playing the Viper when suddenly right in the middle of a riff the sound dropped to near-nothing. 
Aside from trying different tubes, I simply have not found the time (or patience) to sit and try to figure out what's wrong.  I contacted Matt T. a few times to see if he could go through it, but he always seemed to be swamped with other things.

Harley Hexxe:
You know, from that description when you were on the phone with Dante, I would say that is a capacitor that is not completely dead, but getting there. It could be a poor connection at that cap, but I've seen a few weak ones act just like that in other amps.

MarshallJMP:
Could be a cap but it could also be the buffer fet after the tubesection. Or some in the either switching logic or the audio switch circuit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version