ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack Set Up  (Read 12996 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: Rack Set Up
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Well where to begin........ah yes I changed up my live rig this is my current signal path ; Guitar >Boss NS2 Noise gate> Boss MT2 metal zone >A/B splitter. A >Marshall JMP-1 / B >ADA MP-1.
JMP-1 >Alesis Multimix8 (Channel 1) ADA >Alesis Multimix8 (Channel 2).
Alesis Multimix8 FX loop send >Boss GE-7 EQ >BBE Sonic Stomp >Multimix8 FX loop return.
Multimix8 out >Hush II Super C >Quadraverb >DOD 830 EQ >Carvin DCM200L >412 CAB. :banana-rock:
I want to add a Lexicon MX200 (mainly for the Delays/Flange) I like the Chorus and Reverbs better on the quadraverb. So I am thinking of placing it between the Hush and QV. Neither one sounds good in the FX loop of the Multimix8, plus I am thinking reverb last so has anyone else used more that one effects processor? If so how did you wire it?
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Reverb last is how I'd patch, that way you get reverb on the other effects as an overall thing (as I would with a PA mix etc).
I'm running 3 processors in my live rig (QV, Midiverb4 and IPS33 smartshift) but my setup is quite different as I have MP2 (with stereo parallel loop) and small mixer so I patch it like I would a PA. I worked the Midverb4 into the MP2 loop (which I can switch on and off with the MXC Quad switch). This is a very recent addition mostly to add a bigger delay and I haven't really done much with it. I set my live rig up the other day and am starting to play around with it, partly to see if I've got any QV patches you might like  :wave:
Easiest patch is probably chain the 2 stereo processors (4 cable), put reverb last. While this will work it will be a bit tricky getting the wet/dry mix and in/out gain right (but just takes some tweaking). And you'll loose some life from all the AD/DA stages.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Ok just checked out the Alesis Multimix8 so started this thought bubble. (but you lose some bits/gadgets but IMHO this will sound better so maybe start like I'm suggesting and work things back in later).
Guit > A/B Splitter (A / JMP1, B / MP1).  JMP1 L/R > Alesis MM8 line in chan 1/2 (pan L/R), MP1 > Alesis MM8 line in chan 3/4 (pan L/R) > Alesis MM8 out 1/2 > (Hush here if you want ? and DOD EQ if you want  :dunno: ) > DCM200 > cabs (stereo cab ?).
Now for FX, chan 1 and 3 Aux A and chan 2 and 4 Aux B to MX200 L/R in, MX200 L/R out to QV L/R in, QV L/R outs to stereo channel 5/6 (don't tun up Aux A or B on this return or will feedback). Adjust MX200 wet/dry so there is still enough dry signal for QV, run QV full wet and mix it all back in via chan 5/6 fader. (or don't use MX200, just QV full wet but connected this way). So this preserves analogue stero path all the way with digital FXs mixed in in parallel.
Boss GE-7 EQ >BBE Sonic Stomp could go in front of the A/B switch ? or in either the MP1 or JMP1 loops ?
Note: The channel vol level will affect the Aux B send level as it's post (ie post fader), Aux A (designed as a monitor send) wont be affected by channel vol as it's pre fader, but once adjusted won't matter as your not changing (continually adjusting) the faders/vols like in a live mix.

Soloist

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I'm a little confused. Why would I split the Jmp and Ada into 4 different channels? Each channel is in stereo to begin with. I also don't know where aux a and aux b are. The multimix8 has 8 stereo inputs, and 1 stereo output. It also has a stereo send and receive fx loop. Yes my cab is stereo. Sonic stomp must be last in the chain, tried it up front sounded like ass. I have no problems removing that from my signal path. The QV sounds best after the mixer not in the loop. The lexicon sounds better in the mixers fx loop. However with that set up when you bypass either processor the levels are all over the place. :dunno:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

The 1st 4 channels on the MM8 are mono (one input, line or mic), you can pan them in the stereo mix bus but they are mono inputs. So to get the best and preserve stereo outs from your JMP1 & MP1  you need to feed left to left and right to right (ie JMP1 L/R out to chan 1/2 (pan 1 L 2 R) and MP1 A/B outs to 3 & 4 again pan.. now it's stereo) There are stereo inputs (5/6 and 7/8) which is where I suggested you bring FX return.
Aux A and B are directly under your channel eq (A is pre fader, B is post fader), they send that channel to whatever you plug the Aux send out to (you have referred to it as an FX loop, but there are quite a few ways in and out of a desk, the standard FX returns aren't the best for your patch IMHO), use the 2 aux sends A/B to feed the L/R of MX200 and QV and bring the result down a stereo channel (ie 5/6), and mix in the fx. Give it a try  :thumb-up:

Soloist

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

You must be looking at the MM8 usb desk model. I have the MM8 rack mixer.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Sorry, my bad  :facepalm: , it's a very different beast (I was (as you say) referring to the MM8 USB desk model (as that's what came up when I goggled Alesis MM8)). No wonder you were a little confused LOL. So bummer it only has one send return loop, but good that it's a stereo parallel loop. I've been wanting something like this for my live rig but I want 6 sends. So you could chain the MX200 and QV in the loop as previous post. Tricky bit with chaining is getting the gain structure right (in/out levels, dry/wet mix, but that's the same for anyway you patch the gadgets). Interesting you said QV doesn't sound very good in loop, if the gain structure is right it should be fine. Have you tried it in the loop with nothing else (in loop)? Back your original thought to put MX200 before QV, that should work fine again getting levels right may take a bit of tweaking. But maybe as your wanting the MX200 for delay/flange/chorus it would be better in the loop and thus before the Hush.

Soloist

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

I wired this rig up every way imaginable and this is what works best: Guitar>NS-2>MT-2>GE-7>Sonic Stomp> A/B Splitter. Channel A> ADA MP-1>Channel 1 on Multimix8. Channel B>JMP-1>Channel 2 on Multimix8. MM8 fx loop QVerb>MX200>DOD EQ>Hush II.  MM8 mixer out>DCM200>412 Stereo cab. I put everything into the MM8 Loop and had to swap QVerb and Lexicon positions but it all works. I wasn't sure how the Hush would react being at the end in the loop but it actually works better. :thumb-up: I also had to turn the QVerb levels down to 60%-70% but I get no volume drops or spikes, no matter what is on or bypassed. :banana-guitar:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: :thumb-up: Looks like a really good patch  :metal:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up