ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 - MDRT Upgrade + plus big noise Mod  (Read 77816 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: MP1 - MDRT Upgrade + plus big noise Mod
« Reply #75 on: Time Format »

Mmmmm ravioli, I like it!

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #76 on: Time Format »

Mmmmm ravioli, I like it!

Not ravioli...Those are MDRT I build  :lol:
« Last Edit: Time Format by tomy »
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #77 on: Time Format »

I think may be I'm not using enough heat?

MJMP reckons I may not be hence the difficulty sucking up the old solder.

I'm afraid of f**king up the pads as that's game over, well a pain in the balls at least.

I'll try a different tip on my iron and more heat.  I had about 2 thirds last night, or just over half way.

I eat anything except tripe and offal, so ravioli is good with me!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MikeB

« Reply #78 on: Time Format »

New MDRT's just came in! So Mike you'll be getting yours soon.

Fantastic!  I need something to distract me from my studies.  I sucks when you have an assignment due and the only thing to do as procrastination is housework.
I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #79 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, these EEV blogs are worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5nIHH0iY

The small chisel tip works well as the flat bit gets the heat in better/faster.  And a reasonably hot iron 360 c for soldering and 380 for desolder (is IIRC what MJMP uses).  I replaced the R913 resistor in one of my MP2s and managed to wreck a pad with the desoldering iron, I fixed it but it wasn't/isn't pretty  :facepalm: so now I'm very cautious about doing more...

I like Tomy's idea of mounting it vertically so you can get at both sides easily.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #80 on: Time Format »

I basically did the mounting vertical, it wasn't really mounted I just kinda propped it up precariously, not ideal but hell I got my resistors in last night, the four in a row see attached.

Hey Richard, basically did watch a video on using some solder braid, this video in fact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxu1LAoqTRA

I bumped up the heat, and then applied this guy's technique to using the braid.  I wasn't trimming it and working from edge like this guy does.  However as soon as I started using from the edge, trimming a little and so on and so forth, I started winning.

I continued with the tip I had on my iron as MJMP said it was the best one to use.

I could continue tonight, but I may not be able to take photos which will be silly then since I am doing up the new guide and I have tried to take as many steps as possible, very, very comprehensive, may be overkill to the experienced but to the novice I guarantee it will be helpful.

Richard how did you fix the broken pad?  I nearly f*cked on my first MP1 doing the input mod.  I sold that unit on though  :lol: to some unsuspecting soul  :nono: because I dodn't think it sounded good either and I had just bouht the 3TMer and I think at the time I had a US model (the unit I'm modding at the mo) on the way from New York, so I flogged the 1st MP1.  I did the input mod well but I nearly wrecked a pad.

So far I've been doin good with the modding, only one kinda messy joint and even at that it's fine, MJMP checked it for me.
This experience will give me confidence to go on and start replacing electrolytic caps in other units, perhaps I could do my Rockman Sustainor by myself?

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #81 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,you switched one resistor,i have send you a mail about it.

Hey Mike your MDRT is ready ,i dipped it in that special ravioli sauce Tomy provided  :lol: Should be hot as hell now  >:D

Also R's MB-1's and B500s are ready, we are talking about the shipping.But i can send it out next week.

tomy

« Reply #82 on: Time Format »

MDRT = My Dirty Ravioli Transformer  :thumb-up:

ARSENAL :

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #83 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,you switched one resistor,i have send you a mail about it.

Hey Mike your MDRT is ready ,i dipped it in that special ravioli sauce Tomy provided  :lol: Should be hot as hell now  >:D

Also R's MB-1's and B500s are ready, we are talking about the shipping.But i can send it out next week.

Yeah I got it, will switch later when I'm back home.

MDRT - MY DELICIOUS RAVIOLI TRANSFORMER

What kind of Ravioli you eating Tomy?  Ravioli from an ash tray?  For f*ck sake cut that out lol

tomy

« Reply #84 on: Time Format »

Yeah Mike, enjoy your MDRT Spicy sauce !

ARSENAL :

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #85 on: Time Format »

MDRT = My Dirty Ravioli Transformer  :thumb-up:

LOL  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #86 on: Time Format »

Hey Tomy (and Peter), I'm about to become a bass player (well sort of, I need to buy a bass LoL), I've got 2 MB1s (with MDRTs' and MJMP ravioli cumming soon  :whoohoo!: ) and a B500b albeit a US voltage amp and Mike gets his MDRT  :whoohoo!: , comments to come when it's installed.

Hey RG, yeah broken pad  :facepalm: (F^&&%%^$%$k), so in this particular instance, I was lucky as I could use a combination of a fair bit of solder and a bit of wire to make it all connect (MP2 R913). It wasn't pretty, and I'm not super happy about it, but it works fine.

So to break it down a bit, while I was using my desoldering iron on one side of R913, I suspect I've overheated it. The pad lifted off (and then disappeared into the ether).. not good  :facepalm: . So fortuitously it wasn't a particularly complicated connection, so I managed to bridge the broken track (as now no pad) and splash some solder to where it needed to connect to and "bobs your uncle" it worked all good but I'm pissed that I f&&&cked up.. Although it was my first go at a real MP2 (I'd practiced a bit on dead bits of gear).

Now MJMP please feel free to interject here but the less time you have to spend on a solder join the better. So to that end you need your iron at the right temp which is up there (360c solder/380c desolder) and like microwave ovens I'm sure it varies a bit.... ). Basically you want to spend the "least" time at a particular joint (so pads don't lift etc) (think heat and time are different with different results). So a "hot" iron makes sense (careful but does pay off if you are careful  :thumb-up: ) Crap here's me crapping on about soldering, this is MJMP's area...

The other thing I'd say is that from what I've gleaned, generally you'd suck the solder out (desolder station or solder wick stuff), the part will drop out (or easy to pull out), nice clean hole, then solder in the new part.. Now if you do what you have done (heat the joins and pull the part), yeah it works (with burnt fingers typically)) but I suspect the MJMPs' of this world don't do it that way.
Anyway my 2 cents worth...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #87 on: Time Format »

I have set my soldering station to 400°C, both desoldering and soldering.
When desoldering, I heat the solder joint just to the moment the it gets liquid and immediately push the button on the solder-sucker.
I tried desoldering braid but I personally get way better and cleaner results with the method mentioned above.
Up till now, I have yet to have any lifted traces or other nightmares.
Just make sure to just apply the soldering iron tip to the chunk of solder and don´t try to poke around into the solder joints. Immense heat + pressure + prying around = no good!  :nono: :nono: :nono:

tomy

« Reply #88 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard, welcome to the ravioli club... :thumb-up:

Nice to have new bass player in there. When you got your gear lets have a talk to help you get the best bass that fit for your need.

Hey Guy, my soldering station cannot handle more than 350°c and it's  quite enough for my need. ... SO PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE MORE , DON'T BURN YOUR MAINBOARD.

ARSENAL :

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #89 on: Time Format »

Hey dude,

Those 400 degrees were no harm to numerous ADAs, Boogies, Engls, Peaveys,...
 8)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up