ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Guitar Processor/Synth?  (Read 6194 times)

Satch

Best Guitar Processor/Synth?
« on: Time Format »

Looking for some input on the following units:
Boss GT-100
Line 6 POD HD500X
Roland GR-55

I am so tired of lugging my gear around to every gig. Looking for a unit that I can do the following:
1. Great sound directly thru PA. Also be able to run in parallel with powered monitor
2. Nice software editor, central and updated frequently patches and firmware
3. Amp modeling, effects
4. Ease of use on stage

Bottom line like to be able to carry one unit to shows that will get me all the sounds I need. Keep in mind this is for a 2 cover bands I am playing in so versatility on sounds to be able to cover just about any song is key.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Best Guitar Processor/Synth?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Looking for some input on the following units:
Boss GT-100
Line 6 POD HD500X
Roland GR-55
I am so tired of lugging my gear around to every gig. Looking for a unit that I can do the following:
1. Great sound directly thru PA. Also be able to run in parallel with powered monitor
2. Nice software editor, central and updated frequently patches and firmware
3. Amp modeling, effects
4. Ease of use on stage
Bottom line like to be able to carry one unit to shows that will get me all the sounds I need. Keep in mind this is for a 2 cover bands I am playing in so versatility on sounds to be able to cover just about any song is key.
You could do it with MP2 (I have for years now) no amp modelling (which I don't like anyway, the MP2 can be the real sound of pretty much any preamp/amp).
FX are separate (except stereo chorus, wah, trem, comp, gate, cab sims are in MP2) (i.e. add delay and reverb (MP2 has stereo parallel loop so you can mix the digital FX in and not loose the analogue signal  :thumb-up: )).
No more firmware updates  :( , it's MIDI CC capable so you can probably edit it with a library program.  Once it's set you don't need to though.
Cab sims sound great into desk/monitor/record etc.
I'll refrain from commenting on the other units above, I don't like any of them for a variety of reasons.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I had a GR30 that I used just for synth sounds and it was alright, but it was no keyboard player, that's for sure.

I don't see why you can't do what I'm doing; run an MP-2 with one external FX device in a 2u rack. The MP-2 will allow you to run parallel between the mix and the outboard monitor (or guitar amp) onstage. I find it sounds very good directly into the mix, and of course, it has direct outs already, which is very nice. That also allows you to run the stage outs to your amp.

Downside: no software editor (that I know of), and not that easy to edit onstage....that's what practice is for, fine tuning :)

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

When you throw synths in the mix, everything changes!

For straight guitar in, I'd recommend the Pod HD500X, unless you can afford an AxeFX.  The Pod also gives you the option to use the JTV guitars at a later stage for the ultimate combo package.

I've used the HD500, Lexicon MPX G2, MP-1, MP-1C, MP-2, Rockman XPR, Nobels SST-19.  The HD500 is easily the most versatile and more modern of them all.  The others may have better tone in some cases, but the Line 6 computer interface puts the HD500 in another class altogether.  Best ease of use on stage.

Now if you want synths, all of the above is out.  The Roland G5-55 requires a 13-pin GK equipped guitar for best performance.  It has now been trumped by the Boss GP-10.  However none of them track as well as the Fishman Triple Play (FTP), which requires a separate hexaphonic pickup on your guitar and a computer or iPad to make the sound.  Tested well on stage, but requires higher technical knowledge.
« Last Edit: Time Format by GuitarBuilder »
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

El Chiguete

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Yeha only use synths if you want to get the synths sound effects and want to sound like a violin, piano, drums, sticks, etc... BUT if not stick with a newer guitar based multi-effects processor. I think too that if you want to have just 1 thing that does it all and go direct to the P.A. then go with an HD500x. I personally don't use Line6 because I still want my pure analog amp tones (thats why I have an ADA MP-1) together with older generation multi-effects processor, BUT I do have to say that the software programing for patches is something that I would like to have...
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rickeb1

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Not a synth, but based on the requirements you listed, you might want to take a look at the Digitech GSP1101.  I know a lot of folks have had great success using it in the manner you describe.

~ Rick

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

The GSP1101 looks like a good unit, unfortunately (from my perspective) all digital, but they do make good gear and I agree would do all the things based on the requirements (quite well) with little fuss.  Although IMHO (having done just that (pretty much the requirements)) an MP2 rig with a good multi FX ("mixed"), stereo poweramp, cabs (a bit of sound/tone/patch shaping), will definitely sound the best.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up