ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded MP-1 transformer  (Read 35070 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Upgraded MP-1 transformer
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

I though the MDRT was for both voltages ? David, isn't yours an early version IIRC MJMP said is different construction to new ones (though don't know if this includes AC in).

(Is there any noticeable difference in replacing an older transformer with a new transformer sound wise?) Mmm never been there, MJMP ? I suspect early transformers are better as the materials were better, that's how it tends to go for tube HiFi audio, the fantics like the oldest transformers, they say they are built better from better bits...
Though IIRC MJMP said the MP1 original transformer is not a good design (hence Machinator designed a new one).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

The MDRT is designed to work on 110V or 220V but you need to do some rewiring.

Yes the MDRT will sound better due to the increased voltages and currents.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, can the rewiring be made a switch ?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Yes there are special switches that you can use to switch from 110 to 220V.But unless your alot on tour in different country's i don't see why you would need it?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Hey thanks MJMP, I think RGerry may need it ?? (why I asked BTW), he seems to be doing a bit of FIFO.

trader144

« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Is there any noticeable difference in replacing an older transformer with a new transformer sound wise?

There is  company in the US (I think it begins with an M) that claims to make replacement transformers can't remember the name and I haven't read about it other on one other forum so probably not many reviews.
MJMP said somewhere on here thy he bought one to try it but wasn't impressed. They also have a 240v version that is hard to find and you would need to check if that means 240 to the tube or just European voltage.

The space for the transformer in the MP-1 is a tight fit so I would get reviews first and maybe a guarantee if fit.

Update: the company is mercury magnetics but I have no idea of their quality or existence.

David

« Last Edit: Time Format by trader144 »
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

The Mercury is just a copy of the original tranny and is quite expensive,costs even more then a MDRT.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Hey thanks MJMP, I think RGerry may need it ?? (why I asked BTW), he seems to be doing a bit of FIFO.

Yes Richard I probably will in the future if I'm honest.  Not this year may be.

To be a little more specific I thought the MDRT was like a transformer that detected the voltage coming in and switched itself.  Manual switch would still be a good option I guess.  I was mainly asking about this switching to and from for curiosity, just because I assumed it was automatic like others I have used. 

Currently the MP1 i got is Yankey at 110-120.  I use a Mercury transformer to step down my power outlet from 240 to the required.  That Mercury transformer was cheap as piss and it does the job splendidly.

The 3TM i will be getting soon, is UK 240.  I wonder has that guy changed the transformer in it?  Must ask him.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

You'll be surprised..... The 3TM Ultra+ comes with the MDRT and all bells and whistles  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

actually yeah it is an ultra!!!  So it will have a MDRT!!

Well I'll know pretty soon what it will sound like then wont I  :)

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

I've played a little with step downs, not a fan IMHO, seems hums come in etc..

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

not detected any hum of this one Richard, other than the actual transformer makes a noise, as does the MP1.  Nothing audible.  I have not played that MP1 through my live rig yet.  I will let ya know.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Is it the ultra or the ultra+?only the "+" has the MDRT!

A word on "detecting the voltage".Transformers can't detect incoming voltages.I guess you are talking about switching power supplies,these can run on different voltages but are loaded with electronics which are more prone for breakdown.I rather have a good old fashioned transformer,much more sturdy!
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Is it the ultra or the ultra+?only the "+" has the MDRT!

A word on "detecting the voltage".Transformers can't detect incoming voltages.I guess you are talking about switching power supplies,these can run on different voltages but are loaded with electronics which are more prone for breakdown.I rather have a good old fashioned transformer,much more sturdy!

I don't know the tecnhincal terms, but yeah that's what I mean, power supply that can run on both.  That is what I thought the MDRT was just because I know it can do both.  I didn't realise it needed to be switched one way or the other.

And yeah it's an 3TM Ultra Plus, the guy showed me the receipt from you.

trader144

« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Was the MDRT installation designed with a specific MP-1 tube compliment in mind?

Reason I ask is that all we change is a filter capacitor and the resistor that establishes the cathode ground reference voltage.

Since we do not adjust the cathode or plate resistors it seems like it was designed to bias a certain tube (e.g. Bias)....Thoughts?

Is the purpose of that C131 capacitor to filter out signals above 10000uf? It appears to be a filter rather than a coupling capacitor. Why did we use 10000uf for the MDRT vs 4700uf for noise mod V2 without the MDRT and what I think is 11300uf from the original schematic?

Thank you

David
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up