ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 - MDRT Upgrade + plus big noise Mod  (Read 78466 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: MP1 - MDRT Upgrade + plus big noise Mod
« Reply #135 on: Time Format »

Now back in the day 99.9% of the LA Hair and Glam scene was pairing their 2203/JCM800 with some OD or Dist pedal or other to get a more focused and higher gain.
The (original) MP-1 took that and transformed this refined (pre-)amp sound in a preamp circuitry, add MIDI, one Solid State and 2 Tube/IC channels, an FX Loop and a Chorus.
In my book the MP-1 is "The" hot-rodded JCM800 of the late 80s/early 90s.

Now the 3TM takes that initial vibe and moves it one step (or better 2 Triodes  8) ) further. If I were tempted to give a comparison: Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee on maximum steroids

If you wanna go a tad bit more to the traditional Marshall sound/vibe I´d say Mod1 (cathode follower).

For a more modern (think DSL/TSL/sorta JVM) Marshall sound the Mod4MkII does the trick.

That leaves Mod3.1 and 3.666 ....
Question: What do SLO100, 5150 (block letter) and DualRec have in common??
Answer: The overall preamp circuitry design (by Mike Soldano = SLO100)...just some alterations in terms of gain stages/cascading here and there....don´t forget the Recto poweramp design....
Strip them all of their poweramp stage and back down to their bare simple preamp and the blueprints are not that different from each other.

YMMV.....

That's excellent SC thanks for that info.  Ok well my undertsanding of it was an MP1 was supposed to kinda be a hot rodded JCM in a box so you confirm this.

I read somewhere the SLO100 and 5150 where kinda copies of one another.  Can't remember which one copied which.  Peavey copied SLO I think.

I think my plan in future is to get another mp1 and mod it to Mod 4, if there isn't going to be much difference in what I have now 3TM and MP1+MDRTNOISEMOD then I wont bother.

This is all cool info thanks.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #136 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, apart from the tones, the MP1 solved all the boost problems and got rid of wall warts and pedals.  So I was using my 72 Marshall 50, great amp but needs a power soak so you can be in the same room (my record with this amp BTW is you can here it (clearly) 13 kms away). So no master vol, no channel switching... So out comes this MP1 gadget, patch 01 sounds better than my Marshall and I can have 128 of them at any master vol I want  :whoohoo!: . And that's just one angle to it (as you know, you have one). Also, as MJMP said the early Marshalls were 50/50 preamp and poweramp distortion, MP1 had it all done within itself so you could use nice clean transparent power amps (even SS ie B200s), this is also largely when guitar stereo happened (and I'll never go back). Then came MP2, even better sound IMO and lots of really good features (long before anyone else developed/incorporated them). If I could buy a brand new MP2 tomorrow I would, there is nothing else available that (for me) comes even close, which is why I bought a couple of spares...  I like Marshalls, but my tone is ADA, and I've developed "my tone", I'm quite happy with that and am not interested in cloning other stuff, but that's me... I tried my 72 Marshall a little while ago (it basically sits in the corner), I gave it some new tubes (some SPAX7s that I had spare), it didn't even come close to sounding as good as the MP2 (not to malign it, it was my main amp for many many years).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #137 on: Time Format »

I think those glammers (  :lol: ) used the older plexi and JMP amps more.Most of them were modified by guys like Jose,Friedman and Langner to get that high gain sound.Also they used the TS-9 a lot to boost it.

If you want to hear the difference listen to White Lion's album "Pride" and compare it with their next album "Big Game". Here you can hear the difference between a Marshall and a MP-1.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #138 on: Time Format »

I think those glammers (  :lol: ) used the older plexi and JMP amps more.Most of them were modified by guys like Jose,Friedman and Langner to get that high gain sound.Also they used the TS-9 a lot to boost it.

If you want to hear the difference listen to White Lion's album "Pride" and compare it with their next album "Big Game". Here you can hear the difference between a Marshall and a MP-1.

:lol: Glammers  :lol:

Ok so here is a thought then, (excludes me this question as I am impartial)

Why MJMP and Richard does a man with a love for the real thing (Marshall) like or use an ADA preamp? 

You are not allowed to say, because you can play it quietly.  I'm asking this to see if you guys answer in a specific way known only to me  :thumb-up:

Yeah MJMP I suppose the MP1 was not around for most of those bands to make their 1st and 2nd albums, may be even there 3rd so 1959 or JCM800 boosted would have been the weapon on choice.

Question: when people say "Hot Rodded JCM" are they referring to some internal built in boost to drive the amp into more distortion?  Or do they mean "boosted externally by a pedal".  I assume it's the first.

If so, what was the difference between having an external unit and having a JCM800 modified?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #139 on: Time Format »

Google Jose Arredondo or SIR #39   ;)

....and finish the mod goddamit!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #140 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, why, cause you can play it quietly in your bedroom (just taking the piss LoL), I always played mine as loud as I needed (and probably a bit more  >:D ). If you ignore all the advantages of MP1/2 compared to Marshalls of the time (and particularly my 72 50w) (eg 128 presets, master vol, chorus, stereo, midi control etc), the tone of my original MP1 and now MP2 are soo much better than my Marshall (not that it's crap BTW, just no where near as good (to my ears)). Now that's the only Marshall I still have, I did have a Marshall artist 100w keyboard variant along the way to be one side of the Rockman X100, so I was just using it as a poweramp (much like MJMP does with some of his Marshalls).

I like Marshall amps, and a few others.  I don't consider the MP1/2 "not" the real thing. They are now (well mostly MP2 these days) my sound (with my patches guitars amps speakers etc (fingers  >:D )). I've been developing "my" sound over many years with what I have at hand (and how I play)). The Marshall ("come and hear the real thing come and see"/Russel Morris) was a central part of this for many years (and no regrets, it's a great amp).  MP1/2 are on a different planet IMO (and "what advantages"/Chrissy Amphlet, Divynals, never much - happening in my life..)). Actually I was a bit shocked when I plugged in the Marshall after all these years (with new SPAX7 input tubes) how big the difference to MP1/2 was/is.

I spose I used to be a Marshall guy, now I'm very firmly and ADA guy (that's come from a Marshall background).  But I never got into the later Marshalls (why?, I had MP1/2) so I don't know much about them.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #141 on: Time Format »

Well yes,my heads are just too loud to rehearse and too much switching around to get  clean tones etc...
That's why I use ADA's but if I'm honest the heads sound better.(about 10%  ;D )
So I sacriface a bit of sound for the ease of racks.

For me vintage stuff just sounds better.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #142 on: Time Format »

EDITS: added a lot more to this original post and a question to MJMP!

well there we have it.  And that is what I was trying to get, what you two guys really believe.  MJMP firmly believes heads are better, 10% he will part with for practicality side but ultimately amps are 10% better sounding for him.

Richard is the ADA king!  He is 100% that ADA Preamps (MP2) is best sounding.

But I guess you both are ADA through and through really, how can MJMP be the ADA whizz that he is eh :thumb-up:

To be honest I was expecting both you guys to say something similar to what MJMP said.

Me, I don't give a f*ck.  None of it makes any difference to me, for the simple fact that, I find gear I like, I work with it, I make my own sound, and then I go from there.  I burn a candle of support only after this point (the point were I fall in love with something).

I must admit though, you guys both came from running Marshall amps, that is what you were brought up on so I can see why this favour for them still remains.  And I guess I wasn't, so I don't have that connection hence not having the loyalty.  In saying that, my first loud amp was Hybrid AVT150 combo.

I guess since I love MP1s, I've made them my tool of choice and now I've the loyalty thing to them, I'll run with them now until....well who knows.  At least them and the Peavey Rockmasters which I also love.  I love both, having those voicing's, both are different.  So I know MP1 is Marshall esque and I guess Peavey is Peavey lol.

Thanks for answering guys.

MJMP, tell me your story about getting MP1's, what was it like for you and the attraction, what where you using before and when did you go, "hey these things aint bad I'm gonna start using them also"?

and

how good do you think the MP1's are, like say you were telling me about them for the first time or recommending to a customer?
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #143 on: Time Format »

adjusted the trim pot.

OD1 still lights up quite a bit at a 7.5 setting.  Even if I turn the trim pot all the way down it's kinda similar.  Rather than have it all the way down I turned up a tiny bit.

Also do the tubes now they are getting morem voltage, glow brighter?  They look really bright now :)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #144 on: Time Format »

Well my OD1 lights up from time to time,so no worries,you won't blow up anything.Else if it bothers you you can always lower OD1, 7.5 is quite high.

Yep they glow brighter because the filament voltage has gone up from 8.5V to about 13V

So my amp history (skipping the early years).Started out with boss pedals into a JCM800 2*12 combo 50W.Then i got my first 100W JMP head with the same boss pedals.Then boss pedals replaced by the boss ME-5.Replace the ME-5 with a MP-1 (with a boss GE-7 in front of it) and a ART multiverb alpha + an art X11 midi controller going into the front of the marshall head.This was my first rack setup.I needed a stereo sound so in came the second head and cab.Used this for many years and then changed to the MP-2 and a lexicon MPX-1 with the roland FC-200 midi controller.Then the depot came online and I went back to the MP-1 with the 3TM in.The lexicon was replaced by the TC G-force and the FC-200 was replaced by the ADA MXC pedal pack i bought new for 100 euro.And from there on my rack exploded from a 4U to a 18U which I still have now.Also went from 2 cabs to 4 cabs.

So what I use now

*Amps 2 100W marshall heads modified one input to go straight to the power amp section.One is a 66 plexi and one is 72 metal face.

*Cabs 4 4x12 marshall cabs,an old late 60's cab with greenbacks 25W,an early 80's JCM800 cab with 12G65's,a JCM900 with 12GT75 and a vintage cab with V30's in it.

*Rack gear;
Furmann PL8 + series II
Korg DTR-2
Decimator Pro G rack
Dunlop DCR2-SR rack wah
Rocktron patch mate
ADA MP-2
ADA MP-1
TC electronic G-Force
ADA MQ-1
ADA Pitchraq
ADA digitizer 4
ADA 2FX
ADA TFX-4
ADA STD-1
Custom power supply rack

*Pedals
ADA MXC midi contoller with 2 quad switches and 2 CCP control pedals.
2 ADA DS-4 pedals (for the digitizer-4 and pitchraq)
ADA DM-2 pedal for the 2FX
ADA TFX-4 pedal.
Pedal for the crybaby rack wah.

*Guitars

Jackson Soloist XL (Japan)
Jackson SL-1 (USA)
Jackson Kelly (USA)
Jackson KV-2 (USA)
Gibson flying V
Gibson Explorer
Hilko MSG V
Dean baby Z

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #145 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, So the clip leds light at a certain voltage (IIRC it's in the manual where they kick in).  There is still some headroom after they light (before you get distortion you "don't" want). If they flash a bit, that should be ok (actually indicates optimum signal), you don't want them to come on solid and stay there... Are you running anything in front of MP1 ? as that can/may increase your gain.

More volts to the heaters = brighter (makes sense) and hotter BYW  >:D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #146 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, wow nice rack set up.  Do you take it all live ? allot of lugging and setting up.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #147 on: Time Format »

Yep but not all the guitars.

As for setting up,well it's no so bad.Got a roadie  ;D

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #148 on: Time Format »

As for setting up,well it's no so bad.Got a roadie  ;D
+1  :thumb-up: Mine also is my guitar tech! 2 in 1 lol
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #149 on: Time Format »

@ MJMP

so you have all that stuff, and you take it every gig?  And you play in a covers band?  Holy shit man, that's insane.  I mean no disrespect by the way  :thumb-up:  I just think that sounds like a lot.  Cover bands over hear don't usually have that much shit for just one guy.

Now forgive me for making assumptions, but I assume you play similar size venues to what I do, so how the hell do you get all that stuff onstage? One Guitarist or two?

Oh and I've seen big name touring bands play with less than you, you are an absolute maniac lol

And surely you go not get to crank all that fire power?  I have never in 10 years of playing live been allowed to turn my amps up anywhere near full blast.  And I'm sure your marshall are way louder than any amps I have ever owned.

And another thing......you have a roadie?  Do you pay him?  Jesus if only I had a roadie!!  perhaps I should quit touring and stop playing my own music and I can get a roadie as well.

I am sooooo jeaous  :dunno:

Are you perhaps some famous guy and are not telling us who you are really?  How can one humble ADA wizard/studio hand/repair shop guy come to have such a big rig?

Ok Ok I'm done with that now.

Did you say at one point you had just an MP2 rig?  What do you think about it?

Ok back to MDRT+NOISE MOD business!

The OD trim pot even at zero, striking a power chord on lower strings makes the light come on.  I thought that was too much but then if you guys say it's ok sure I'll leave it where it is.  I'm not worried I'm just saying it comes on a lot more than it used too.

@Richard, not I did not have anything in front of the mp1 when I was testing it.  Actually when I stuck an OD in front for a boost it lit less, I DROP THE OD1 level though to bout 4-5 when I use a boost.

So more voltage, more glow!!  Ok I like this, I want more glowing tubes in my preamps.  I don't my 3tm glows as much?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up