ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OMG, your Tone is amazing  (Read 12222 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
OMG, your Tone is amazing
« on: Time Format »

Ho Hum, another gig, another bunch of other guitarists raving about my guitar tone...happens all the time. Nothing to see here, move along

Had a gig last night with a new cover band. Since I'm not up to speed on all the songs yet, we had three guitarists taking turns all night (basically, one per set) to get the band through the gig. Both the other guitarists just kept raving about the tones of my rig. Same ol thing, no comments about playing ability, just tone - haha.

One of the guys is a total gear whore too, so I am sure he's considering an ADA preamp. He has over 50 guitars, and who-knows-how-many amps, many of them vintage tube heads & cabs. I just think to myself - he must be wondering why he has a garage full of amps when there's a beautiful tone machine in a 4u rack right there in front of him.  :dunno:

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: OMG, your Tone is amazing
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Ho Hum, another gig, another bunch of other guitarists raving about my guitar tone...happens all the time. Nothing to see here, move along...

:lol:   

Strange that you posted this today....just this last night I went to see a cover band playing locally and was wondering why the guitar rig didn't sound better than what it did.  The guy was a solid player for sure, but his gear just didn't seem to sound as good as what you'd probably expect.   Mesa Mk-something head, Jet City cab, floorboard with a dozen pedals, etc..... 

Granted, I'm not in a cover band and just concentrate on our originals....but every time we rehearse or play there's a huge wave of something special that comes over me the moment I kick the poweramp off Standby and get to it.  It's exactly the tone I've always heard in my head, but could never get before. 

That feeling.....it doesn't go away.  :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ho Hum, another gig, another bunch of other guitarists raving about my guitar tone...happens all the time. Nothing to see here, move along...

:lol:   

Strange that you posted this today....just this last night I went to see a cover band playing locally and was wondering why the guitar rig didn't sound better than what it did.  The guy was a solid player for sure, but his gear just didn't seem to sound as good as what you'd probably expect.   Mesa Mk-something head, Jet City cab, floorboard with a dozen pedals, etc..... 

A good friend is in another cover band (actually, several), and he uses some Line6 thingamajig that is priced at $1,500. It's a multi-fx pedal for christsakes, with multi-colored lights. I can get those lights at IKEA for $40. Anyway, I felt the same way...asking myself 'why is the guitar so thin and wimpy sounding? That's not right. Where's the sound man?"

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yup, I'm bumping my own thread again...played another gig with the new band last night. Since I'm still not totally up to speed on all the songs, we had a couple guests come onstage for a half set. They were previously in another band with our singer, so they remembered a half set worth of old material.

My singer plugged his guitar into my rig, and let his ol' guitarist use his rig - said he already knew how to use my rig and it would confuse the other guitar player(?). I find this interesting that he'd rather use my rig than his own Blackstar combo. So, after the set, during the break, the other guitarist comes up to me and says "I shoulda plugged into your rig, that thing sounds amazing"

Boom.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, why am I not surprised  >:D , are you using the Classic in this outfit ? (seems where you've gravitated lately ??).  My MP-2 clean patch is working well for the new funk/soul band I've joined, very different style for me but I'm having fun so far, and they want me to stay, so I must be doing ok  :dunno: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, why am I not surprised  >:D , are you using the Classic in this outfit ? (seems where you've gravitated lately ??).  My MP-2 clean patch is working well for the new funk/soul band I've joined, very different style for me but I'm having fun so far, and they want me to stay, so I must be doing ok  :dunno: .

Yes, I have been using the Classic at gigs. My MP-2 is my current backup and it generally stays at home for practice. Truth is, the MP-2 is a bit noisy on higher gain patches, so I'll be dealing with that someday soon

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

So I bought another MP1 yesterday and you know what?  The same guy was selling an MP1 classic.  Now for difference and variety I was interested in the classic, but I have read so much about the Classic not sounding as good as the original that I decided to go with that.  It cost me £25 more than what the classic sold for in the ebay auction  :facepalm:
Anyways tone, I have no idea about my own tone.  MJMP heard it.  It doesn't sound like anyone else, but I dunno if that's enitrely good or not.  Sometimes I wished it was a little more like something recognisible, but to me it doesn't quite sound like anything I listen to.  This may be down to playing style and picks I use but I always ask people what they think of my tone.  More so because I'm paranoid about it.  I have had complimenets in the past but I still always have the paranoia.  I like personally but then I'm always thinking about refining it.  Tone is a strange beast, that's all I can say.

I played a show at the weekend in England, and there was real talented band on after us.  They were younger guys.  Well both their guitarists had the best nmost expensive shit out there.  Two engl powerballs and a bunch of other expensive shit that I could never afford.  Now I wasn't impressed with their tones despite this expensive stuff.  It's was much too scooped.  However their use of effects sounded very good during passages where they'd utilize delay.  But generally all the lead stuff sunk below the mix off stage.  Is my tone better than theirs?  Dunno, but at least you can hear what I'm playing  :lol:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Isn't that what your tone is all about Gerry? Being in the mix, not somewhere around it!

These guys were obviously young, and dialed their amps in the way we did when we were younger. They dial in their tones the way they sounded good in the privacy of their homes, when they were practicing by themselves, and it sounded good, but they didn't compensate for the other band members when they got together. It's a common mistake we all make and have to learn as we gain more experience playing in a band. They probably just figured they would turn up their amps on a stage and it would work.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Yes, I have been using the Classic at gigs. My MP-2 is my current backup and it generally stays at home for practice. Truth is, the MP-2 is a bit noisy on higher gain patches, so I'll be dealing with that someday soon

Hey Dante - how many and which patches are you using live with the Classic?
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Isn't that what your tone is all about Gerry? Being in the mix, not somewhere around it!

These guys were obviously young, and dialed their amps in the way we did when we were younger. They dial in their tones the way they sounded good in the privacy of their homes, when they were practicing by themselves, and it sounded good, but they didn't compensate for the other band members when they got together. It's a common mistake we all make and have to learn as we gain more experience playing in a band. They probably just figured they would turn up their amps on a stage and it would work.

Well these guys weren't in the mix, they were buried.    My tone, I've no idea about my tone ask mjmp.  I've always had the mids.  Been playing about with it lately though, not full happy.  A little bit of eqing I think.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

That's what I meant by the question Gerry. Your tone is all about being in the mix. More mids bring the guitar up in the mix

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

G has a very mid sounding tone, so it really pops out in the mix.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

G has a very mid sounding tone, so it really pops out in the mix.

Yes he does. I've been listening to a couple of his tracks, and he's got some very catchy tunes coming to the surface. :headbanger:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Yeah he's a very good player

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Thank you very much  :thumb-up:

The mids is something I've always liked.  I think I only ever scooped my tone for like a few hours max through all my time as a player I reckon.  I would turn it down for a while then it would turn back up always, just always liked the mids.

As for good player, well I dunno, I don't feel like it when I start trying to record something or some younger guys blow the shit out of their axes in front of me.  I tend to cling onto the fact at that point when I see that sort of thing, that I think I've something unique about my playing.  Well I hope so  :lol:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up