ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Ada. I give up.  (Read 7033 times)

losman26

RIP Ada. I give up.
« on: Time Format »

I bought an mp2 and microtube months ago, and am giving up on the amp because it has failed me the two times I have brought it outside of the house. At this point it is too fragile, and I don't want to spend hours fixing it, only to not trust it. The other night I had the worst equipment failure ever, and the next day ordered the EVH 5150 el-34 50 watt head. This is what I'm gonna roll with. When I have time I will work on fixing the AdA, and just use it at home.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: RIP Ada. I give up.
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey losman26, bummer, nothing worse than gear failure  :facepalm: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

All of these devices are getting old, which doesn't mean burned out.
However, anyone buying old gear should give it a full overhaul:

Replace all electrolytic capacitors (not just the PSU caps)
Replace potmeters with modern conductive plastic types
Replace the rectifier bridge in the PSU
Replace small diodes near heat sources
Replace high-ohm carbon resistors in the tube plate and grid sections with metal-oxide resistors
Replace jacks with build-in switch
Inspect all solders
Clean all connectors and the fuse holder contact points
Clean, or at least massage, all ic sockets.

Hope you get the stuff fixed at a later point, dude ;)

losman26

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I just don't have time to work on it. Effects loop was all of a sudden having volume problems too. I financed the el-34 5150 amp, which kicks ass. It will be here Wednesday and I think it is a much better amp, but the ADA served its purpose.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I feel your pain, my mp2 sounds amazing, but keeps crapping out at the most inopportune times. I am relying on my Viper combo because is simply has less miles on it. Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough to fix these things.

So, I bring the combo and I bring an extra rig too: a Tech21 FlyRig RK5 and a Crate powerblock amp....just in case.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I feel your pain, my mp2 sounds amazing, but keeps crapping out at the most inopportune times.

Wow, mine has started flaking out unexpectedly also. When its working it sounds unbelivable. I found if I tap the front it comes back but who wants to go thru that shit playing live! :facepalm:
My Mp2 was my "go to" amp, not anymore. I split the duty between my Mp1 and Hot British.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Are you using the rear input on the MP-2 ,Soloist?

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Time to get Tarnowski and say : "We want our money back because your POS only worked for 30 years" ;D

I fixed my dead mp1 but i'm not confident enough to use it on stage.
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Yes, yes I am using the rear input.
Also it doesn't matter if the comp is on or off same with the gate. A firm tap over the lcd display area usually does the trick (for a little while anyways).
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Time to get Tarnowski and say : "We want our money back because your POS only worked for 30 years" ;D

LOL!  :lol:

soloist: I have to bang the top of my rack to make the loud hum stop...it's not always there, but it rears it's ugly head at the worst possible times....never at practice.

I bought my MP2 in '95. I gigged with it from 2005-2012. I got a LOT of good years out of that thing....i gigged a lot during that time. Started using the Classic in 2013 (i think) and it's crapped out now too.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Wow, this is bad news  :facepalm: .  Fortunately my live MP2 has never had an issue since I bought it new way back when.  Although the first unit I got didn't make it through its first gig, didn't even get to start the show.  Luckily Mike lived just up the road and went home and grabbed his MP1 for me.  So that unit got swapped for the one I still have.  Only issues I've ever had with it is it goes all crazy running off dodgy generators (which I fixed with a battery UPS).  But the age of it all is what has led me to buying 3 more just in case...  They seem ok still, although the one I lent to Mike doesn't like his UPS but works fine off direct mains (go figure  :dunno: ).
@ Soloist, maybe check the ribbon cable is seated snugly, it can be an issue and if a decent tap gets it going, could be the culprit  :dunno: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Hanneman213

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I just don't have time to work on it. Effects loop was all of a sudden having volume problems too. I financed the el-34 5150 amp, which kicks ass. It will be here Wednesday and I think it is a much better amp, but the ADA served its purpose.

Sorry to Hear. Maybe It is a simple and cheap problem that you can manage it. I prefer not to use fx loop in ADA, I prefer Serial, Because obviously I use harmonizer or modulation effects. During my visit to USA, I observed a common thing that ''fixing'' is not a preference. People get another one. So I think an ''electronic devices fixing job'' is not developed in US. In my country (unfortunately Turkey) you can find a ''fixer'' in everyhood. You don't need to buy another earphone when the edge of the wire is damaged, you simply change the jack for 4+1 dollars.

But I know some problems with ADA continues with me like having a pop/bump noise when I switch Clean to crunch. I hope I can find the solution.
ESP Standart V>ADA MP2>TC G Major2>ADA Ampulator>Rocktron Velocity>Mesa Rectifier1x12

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Yes, yes I am using the rear input.
Also it doesn't matter if the comp is on or off same with the gate. A firm tap over the lcd display area usually does the trick (for a little while anyways).

Maybe it's the front input jack, because the signal from the back is routed through a contact on the front input jack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up