ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OD 1/ OD2  (Read 5346 times)

Metropolis

OD 1/ OD2
« on: Time Format »

Whats the difference between the two and how should I have them adjusted for good  Petrucci type distortion.   I am getting a real bad squealing effect with both gains on 10.  I have installed new JJ preamp tubes and squealing still happens.  This is not feedback.  It is more of a sqeal that seems to increase with higher OD2 values.  Any information will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: OD 1/ OD2
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hi Metropolis,

First of all, what specific type of JP sound are you after? Early (WDaDU, IaW, Awake, FII), mid (SfaM, SDoIT, ToT, Octavarium) or recent (SC, BCaSL, ADToE, DT)??

JPs sound is trademark Boogie, Triaxis in Recto mode for the earlies, Recto Roadking for the mids and flat out MkIIC+/IV/V for the recents.
Hard to nail spot on with a MP1. A mod 3.1 or 3.666 will get you in the Recto ballpark, MP2 voicing 7 (warm hi-gain) sounds as close to a Boogie Mk as an ADA gets.

The closest I got with an MP1 was with OD1 between 5-7 and OD2 7-10. No extreme settings on the MP1 EQ (max +/- 2-4 on B/M/T), Presence rolled way down though. I then added a 5 band EQ in the loop (graph or param) to mimic the Mk on-board EQ and fine-tune.
Chorus is a must for JPs crunch and leads. Main Rhythm has a 7ms Delay set 100% wet do get a subtle doubling effect.
Leads are 250l/500r with 3 repeats and 400l/800r with 3 repeats.

Metropolis

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I think all of JP's tones are great but I particularly enjoy Images and Words as well as the two most recent albums.  I have a Rocktron Intellifex so if you can suggest some ideal settings for that ...Clean tones from UToE also appreciated.   Thanks
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Jaja I knew you where a JP fan from your forum name!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

For the Cleans, use the MP1 Solid State Clean, Bass -2, Mid -4/-6, Treb +2/+4, Pres 0. Dial in some Compressor (OD2 in S.S. acts as compressor)
Add a nice shimmering Chorus (Intellifex 8-Voice) and some Delay (200-300ms, 2-3 repeats).
JP also normally uses a Phaser or Flanger before the (Pre-)Amp on his Cleans. ADToE Album Cleans are a combination of Piezo and Electr. Guitar Cleans......but the above settings should get you in the ballpark.

Crunch/Main Rhythm: Tube Dist. OD1 6, OD2 8, Bass -2, Treb +2/+4, Mid -2/0, Pres -8/-10
Add some Chorus (20% wet/mix) and a 7ms delay

Lead: Tube Dist. OD1 6, OD2 10, Bass -2, Treb +2/+4, Mid -2/0/+2, Pres -8/-10
Add same Chorus as Crunch/Main Rhythm, Stereo Delay 250R/500L, 3repeats (for faster Leads); 400L/800R, 3repeats (for slower melodic Leads)

If you have, put an EQ (5band graph/parametric) in the Loop BEFORE the FX...theres some pics on the web of JPs EQ settings, basically the V-Shape and another half-V kinda with the 2200 Slider a tad bit higher and the 6600 Slider around 0/+2
(Triaxis Manual, page 10, bottom 2 EQ graphics)

Hope this helps for starters.....
BTW, what guitar/pups are u using??

@El-C: Anything wrong with being a JP fan???  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :wave: :wave: :thumb-up:

Sidenote: The squeal you mentioned could have its cause in/at the front pot
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Does it also squeal if you turn the guitar volume down?

Metropolis

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I'm at work right now so I cant confirm,  but it seems to me that with the guitar volume rolled all the way off, the unit was silent.  Turning the guitar volume up even slightly would cause the unit to begin squealing.   The guitar has been used with dozens of other amps with no issue at all.  Could it possibly be a bad solder connection or ground wire come loose somewhere.  The unit did take a slight impact (while it was racked in a case) from only about  1/2 inch above the speaker cabinet.   The right hand side of the unit was actually in contact with the speaker cabinet and the left hand side about half inch above when the impact occured.  It was actually after this happened that I heard the overwhelming sqeal begin to occur .  This only occurs on High gain with OD 1 set above 8.5 and  as OD 2 is gradually increased approaching  7 and above then the squealing begins.  I can dail it out by backing off OD2 and reducing the eq values.   I actually can dail in distortion tones to my liking without the squeal occuring but it seems like that sqeal sounds like somethings wrong.
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

It's not impossible the bump it took did some damage but I doubt it, MP1/2 are very robust I've been bouncing them around up an down dirt roads/cars/trucks for years without issue. But if you SURE it all happened (the squeal) after the bump (and wasn't that bad before) then it's worth investigating (first take off top an check tubes are seated properly in their sockets, and check EPROM sticker/version, easy to spot, take photo for MJMP to check other mods).
MP1/2 do squeal at high gain (they have so much of it), just like my 1972 Marshall 50 on full tilt but even more  >:D so to an extent it's normal. There are things you can do to "help" control it.
First check your guitar cable, MikeB and I tripped over that one at his place recently, we changed cable and was much better.
Don't stand to close to the MP1 (generally gets worse as you (PUs) get closer, also turning around can help).
What PUs are you using (can also make a big difference and some PUs are much more "microphonic ie act like a microphone" than others (is why they used to double dip them in wax, to shut them up))
Tubes are also prone to microphonics which is why we select low noise, high gain, low microphonic (generally thicker glass) tubes.
But even with all the above, MP1 on OD1 10/OD2 10, master up will squeal. So lots here use a (sometimes 2) noise reduction unit(s) (built into my MP2  :thumb-up: ). Like Decimater or Hush, some use before MP1, some after, some like MJMP IIRC, both before and after. But these guys are running really high gain (eg MP1 3TM). If your happy with the sounds you get without squealing, stay there, but if you want to chase the high gain stuff, more noise/squeals comes with the territory.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Doesn't seem a real problem to me,high OD's will give a squael,also the same goes for high volumes.This is feedback,but not the good one i guess.But don't think there something wrong with your mp-1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up