ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Marshall 1 Watt Amps  (Read 12523 times)

DorsetRatt

Marshall 1 Watt Amps
« on: Time Format »

Hey All,

Has anybody owned/used one of the little marshall 1 watt amps? I've been considering the JMP-1h for a while now ... true Class A at bedroom volumes (1W or 0.1W) seems quite appealing for a practice amp. Any thoughts/views please?
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Marshall 1 Watt Amps
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, never tried one, seen a few (if they are he same ? very small Marshall thingies) but were transistor amps, which can be class A I spose, (i.e. one transistor doing both +ve and -ve sides of the signal), is that what you mean ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I guess you mean these: https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/one-watt-series/

For the price tag I'd rather look for an Engl Ironball or check out the Hotone Nano Legacy amps
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

DorsetRatt

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

HaHa ... SC you just beat me to it by 30 secs, I was just in the process of typing a reply with a link :thumb-up:

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

DorsetRatt

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Price is approx £350 for the JMP-1H head, so yes much more expensive than the Hotone, but much cheaper than the Engl.

Most of the reviews I've read for the Marshall are for the combo versions ... and they've been very mixed reviews, not necessarily taking into account the small cabinet and small speaker.

I was planning on the JMP head version plugged into a 2 x12, with a couple of pedals up front ... I've done something similar with the Blackstar HT-5. The JMP comes in at either 1W or 0.1W which is considerably quieter than the 5W Blackstar ... so in theory I can drive the power section of the JMP harder but maintain lower volumes.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHXUfznPPoI

Here's a good compare between the JMP-1H and a real JMP head.The 1W sounds buzzy with a lot of nasty overtones and not clear at all.The 100W sounds a lot better.Here you get that real classic tone.

Also looked at the black star which i find sounds even more like crap.So i looked for the schematic of the blackstar and yes it's more solid state then it is tube,what a hoax.

El Chiguete

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

THANK GOD the normal 100W head sounds better, if not I would just start to sale all my equipment! jeje (hehe). For the sound/tone they get I think that if your are better of just with a modeler or even a Bias app and headphones to practice.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Forget about Youtube demos - they generally don't sound right anyway.  Particularly comparisons are deceptive, depending on what they want you to like.  Try the real thing instead.

I have four of these little beauties: JTM-1, JMP-1, JCM-1, and DSL-1, all in head form.  I also have a JVM205 (50W) and 6100.  Each of the 1W amps has a unique tone and, while not a perfect copy of the Marshalls of that decade, they come pretty close.  It is essential to match them with the right speakers; I think the combo versions are limited due to the small speaker size and the inability to mix and match.  It's fascinating to hear the 1W through my 4x12 Marshall cabs - they sound significantly better than the 1x8 combo.

In the end I found my ideal matchup, all with 12" speakers:

JTM - G12M Greenback (G12H55 is a close alternative)
JMP - G12H30
JCM - Vintage 30
DSL - Vintage 30 (G12T75 is a good alternative)

As with all Marshalls they are very interactive with the guitar and have excellent dynamics.  One needs to experiment with them to get the tone you want.  Just remember what decade you're working with - these four are not extreme metalhead amps.

So why get these instead of the real thing (which I have as well)?  Because they are a great studio/bedroom amp.  The ability to turn them down to 0.1W (yes - that is correct) keeps peace in the family.  But more importantly, at those settings you can plug them straight into your mixer or DAW for recording if you want!  No need to mic any cabs.

I've also had good luck using them in a stereo or even wet-dry-wet setup, with an A/B/Y box in front.  They're so small that they are easy to move around and stack.

Finally, I've plugged them into a 100W slave amp (I use the Bad Cat Unleash) for some serious ear-splitting volume.  They sound fantastic and give the 6100 a run for the money!

BTW - you get what you pay for..........
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

DorsetRatt

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Good info ... thank you GB.

Interesting that you mention the JVM, I used to own a JVM205H. I really liked the clean channel, especially green and orange modes, and it's these tones/dynamics/feel that I'm trying to get close to with a 1 watt Marshall head. I think the choice is going to be between the JTM-1h and the JMP-1h.

The JMP-1h is still available, the JTM-1h is also available, but only as the offset version (half stack, with 10" speaker cab) ... whilst the JTM offset stack looks really nice I think the 10" cab may limit its potential, I'm still quite tempted though :D

@MJMP I couldn't possibly comment on the Blackstar ... because I want to be able to sell it :facepalm:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

For some reason,altough it seems like a good idea those low power tube amps all sound so fizzy.And i did try out alot of them,so it's not i get it from youtube.I also have a marshall haze 15W,again fizzy sound,just repaired a marshall class 5W amp,again fizzy sounding even tried it on different marshall cabs and my ADA split cabs.Another example of a repair i did was a vox ac4tv,that was even worse sounding and the building quality was even more crap.

The only low power tube amp i really like is my old geloso 15W hifi amp (2xECC83-2xEL84) which really sounds good and with no mods at all except for a jack input.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

It's tricky business getting good tone at low volumes, I've been trying to solve this for years ... I'm determined not to be beaten by it :(

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

It's tricky business getting good tone at low volumes, I've been trying to solve this for years ... I'm determined not to be beaten by it :(
Hey DR, well I've solved it by plugging my MP2 cab sim outs into my home studio set up. Stating the obvious, with ADA MP1/2 you can turn them to any volume. If you wanted a bit more top and bottom end (loudness/Fletcher Munchen curves) at low volume you can either use a bit of shelf eq or do some patches with more top and bottom end.
I loaned MikeB a Behringer headphone amp (they're quite cheap (and very well featured BTW)) which he's been using to plug his MP1 into and uses headphones (to keep happy home life).  He has a GCS3 in the MP1 loop. But the MP1 headphone out is partly cab simmed anyway so you can take a stereo feed from it into headphones or into a stereo or even computer speakers. Anyway my 2 cents worth.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

DorsetRatt

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I've been a bit sneaky ...

I did buy the Marshall JMP-1H a couple of months ago, but I didn't want to post my opinion on it straight away ... sometimes it's easy to get over excited when a new amp arrives at the front door.

Well, 2 months further down the line ... and I'm still in the honeymoon period, I think it's an excellent amp, it's been in use everyday since I got it. It's a punchy little number, I tend to run with the bass set fairly high, and the treble set fairly low. It's also got a boost switch that brings in an additional gain stage. So it can do 60s well, 70s/80s very well.

I matched the head with an old Marshall 1922 cab. For speakers I put in a couple of the Celestion Heritage greenbacks, a G12M and a G12H (55Hz). My thinking was that the 55Hz bass cone of the G12H would compliment the G12M ... sounds good to me :thumb-up:

The reason I opted for the JMP-1H was for simplicity. I wanted to re-visit the 70s ... just dial in the amp, and roll with the volume/tone pots of the guitar for controlling the desired gain/tone.

Looking to the future ... If I get bored I've got the option of doing some tube-rolling experiments, 2 x ECC83 preamp tubes, 2 x ECC81 power tubes.

Just a thought ... if it had an effects loop I could run an MP-1 through it as well :facepalm:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Sounds like lots of fun  :thumb-up: , if your MP1 is an early model with the inst/line switch you could put it in front.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I hadn't thought about using the MP-1 in that way, could be worth a try? So it would be like using the MP-1 to get similar results to that of a drive/distortion pedal? Come to think of it ... I seem to remember an ADA pedal?

An FX loop would be nice though ... any volunteers?

There's another thing I'd like to try with the JMP head ... set it to 01.w mode with the gain/volume really dimed (power tube distortion/saturation), then process the output:

Guitar -> JMP (0.1w) -> Axe Fx -> Marshall 9005 -> Engl Cab

Admittedly, this is not the simplicity of setup that I was previously referring to, but it would be an interesting experiment.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up